• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roquefort Dressing

Marlene

I'm pretty sure it can't be that difficult, but I've perused my many cookbooks and I can't seem to find a recipe that grabs me. I'm making a tomato and red onion salad on Saturday. Normally, I make a balsamic vinaigrette dressing to go with this, but the masses are clamouring for a Roquefort dressing. I'm game, I mean I love the stuff.

Help me out with a decent recipe. It's got to be thick and it's got to be chunky!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My very favorite Roquefort comes from Epicurious ... can be found here in all its chunky creaminess:  superb salad dressing for the bleu cheese fanatic ... originally comes from the Ritz Carlton .. how bad can it be?   :rolleyes:

more variations and more ... :wink:

This one is looking good! thanks GG!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I would substitute creme fraiche for the sour cream and use homemade mayonaisse and use cream instead of the buttermilk. I would omit the worchestire sauce and tabasco too.

But that's just me and I would be making a French roquefort dressing.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

I make this every once in a blue (heh) moon to serve with iceberg lettuce for old school flavor. I flake off chunks from the blue cheese with a fork, and stir it into some mayo (I like the premade kinds with egg. S&W is good.) Then I top it up with milk until it's the right consistency, and maybe add some Tabasco for tangy zip (not too much, though). If you make it fairly thick it also makes a killer crudite dip. Hat tip to the Better Homes and Gardens Salad Book from the glorious, green-jello-tinted sixties.