• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

newark rodizio

kev

I just love their food! I think I answered you on this on another board, but, in case you did not see it I will repeat it.

The quality of meat is excellent and it's not that overly salty coating on all the meat. They usually have from 10 to 14 different kinds of meats and chicken. Don't forget to get a piece of the pineapple that is sprinkled with cinnamon in between the meats. They also give you black beans, potato's (if they bring you the skinny potatoes ask them for the spanish large flat ones - it's not a problem they think Americans want skinny) and of course the rice. There are delicious marinated olives on the table with delicious bread to start. You can, of course, just order off their regular menu. The restaurant is really nice inside(not formal or dressy -casual is fine) and very different. It's like your eating in a little spanish village. I would recommend going early or try calling for a reservation. They are busy every night of the week, but, it's well worth it even if you do have to wait.

We have been there about 8 times now over the past year (twice in the last 6 weeks as we took out of town relatives there and everyone has always had a great meal).

I understand that Seabra's Rodizio is very good. The one in Perth Amboy is certainly excellent.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

It is funny you should bring up this topic. Last night we went to Seabra's in Newark with friends who have been there many times. The restaurant is very large and it was very HOT. We asked the manager to turn up the air conditioner and he said he did but it never cooled off. The salad bar was good although there was not one thing on it that was great. The rodizio was okay, not too salty but they were not very generous with their meats. We were offered sausage, chicken, 2 kinds of steak and beef ribs. We had to ask for pineapple.

As we were just about finishing I noticed the largest cockroach I had ever seen crawling up the wall. That was it for us, check please, no dessert.

I haven't been, but I know a few people who love Solar de Minho.

Just curious...is Seabra's Rodizio the one on the corner of 21 and Bridge Street, diagonally opposite the Newark Bears stadium? If so, I was completely underwhelmed by it the one time I was there (for a fundraising dinner). I didn't have rodizio that night, but the buffet had the usual offerings (garlic shrimp, mussels, pork, calamari, etc.), all of which were completely mediocre.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Easiest way to reach Solar do Minho is to get on Rte 3 then take Rte 21 South (McCarter Highway) toward Newark. Take the Mill Street exit, go straight at the end of the ramp and turn right onto Rte 7 (Washignton Ave)) at the second light. The address says Cleveland Street but I think it's visible from and appears as though it's on the main Street.

You can also reach it easily from downtown Newarlk by heading up Broadway through North Newark. Broadway turns into Washington at the coner of Mill Street which is where the Belleville town line begins.

I've eaten at Seabra's Rodizio and enjoyed it well enough although it's one of the salter rodizio's in the area. Rodizio is generally on the salty side but I found Seabra's to be saltier than most. I've eaten at Brasilia but didn't have the rodizio as I wasn't very hungry that evening. But it looked terrific and the price was $18 or $19. I don't recall whether that included the salad bar but the salad bar looked good too.

Ok i went to Solar Do Minho this past wednesday. Parking was a nightmare and an accident waiting to happen so I decided not to stay since I brought my new fancy car. I did go inside breifly though and its really a fun place and it was packed and rodizio looked awesome. Next time i bring my beat up Camry. Anyway I went to Fernandez Steakhouse in newark for rodizio and was dissapointed. This has always been one of my favorites. Seems like they have a totally new staff. Rodizio price has jumped from $18.00 to $22.50, as with all the drink prices. Also $3.50 extra beverage added to my bill for which i never had and the manager apologized.

If any of you egulleters want to do a rodizio review of the newark area maybe we can meet up once a week, visit a different place each week, and report our findings when we are done.

I am a big rodizio fan and I think we need an unbiased, non-commercial, non-newspaper review of this to decide who is #1 in rodizio in new jersey.

Edited by kev (log)

• 10 months later...
Some Solar Do Minho shots:

Yeah Jason, really nice shots. You might even rival Philadining!

We went to Brasilia Grill last Saturday night and it was quite good, not great. I actually prefer the saltiness on the meats but hardly detected any there. I also didn't much care for their sausages nor did anyone else who had the rodizio. The quality of the rodizio meats was top flight, better than the place I recently hosted in Northeast Philadelphia. They had plenty of salt but the meat in NE Philly wasn't close to the quality of Brasilia Grill.

Yeah Jason, really nice shots. You might even rival Philadining!

I doubt it, I think he uses a DSLR. I use a $350 Canon A620 which does really poorly in low light conditions -- these photos I really had to tweak because its very dim in that restaurant. But it focuses very close and works decently for what I need it for.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host