• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caribbean Bakery in Philly?

shacke

I was reading a food aricle in the NY times and was curious if and where there may be a caribbean bakery here in the Philadelphia area - one that makes authentic jamaican beef patties. I grew up on the frozen kind in the white box found in the supermarket but I have never had a real one and it is such a Jamaican staple.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Thanks, Andrew. I was going to mention them, but I wasn't sure what all they did, but I've driven past them a million times.

There's also good Jamaican take-out at Sunday Best, up 52nd on the other side of Market, last I remember, and another place whose name escapes me. The Jerk Hut is okay but seems to cater to a different set of expectations.

Mmmmm… bring on de Guinness Punch, mon!

Thanks, Evan. Disclaimer: I've never been there, though I've eaten their patties and they're good- though I have little to compare them to. They're also a chain (100 franchises), if you care about that, and have a website.

I recently ate at

Caribbean Feast Restaurant

(215) 223-2665

1338 Rising Sun Ave

Philadelphia, PA 19140

up near Temple Hospital. They had patties, but instead I tried the jerk chicken with cabbage, rice and peas. Good stuff, and cheap cheap cheap...

If you want to head north, rather than west, there is a Golden Krust on N. Broad, somewher around Olney. I'm not sure of the exact address, but I drive by all the time on my commute to work. I've often been curious to try it, but haven't made it there yet.

I think the Golden Crust on 52nd Street is closed, though I could be wrong.

More to the point, the Brown Sugar Bakery on that same stretch of 52nd Street is quite a bit better. Usually a variety of patties. Also fantastic rotis. Sometimes is a solid line but they are pretty well run and will get your stuff. Also have some assorted other baked goods.

The ones at Jamaican Jerk Hut are very good.

edit: expectations?

Next time I visit the folks I'll have to try Golden Bakery. Beef patties within walking distance is almost too exciting to contemplate.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

Evan:

Run, don't walk to the Jamaican place at 60th and Baltimore (housed in a former trolley station and right next to where many trolleys congregate). The patties there are exactly like the ones I had in Negril. Plus the guy makes great rice and peas, oxtail stew, rotis, and desserts. The jerk is on and off, as far as I can recall. Sometimes it's fantastic (crispy spicy skin and tender moist chicken) and sometimes it's dry. But that's off-topic -- the patties are always great. :)

Let me know if you like it!

Diann

Evan:

Run, don't walk to the Jamaican place at 60th and Baltimore (housed in a former trolley station and right next to where many trolleys congregate). The patties there are exactly like the ones I had in Negril. Plus the guy makes great rice and peas, oxtail stew, rotis, and desserts. The jerk is on and off, as far as I can recall. Sometimes it's fantastic (crispy spicy skin and tender moist chicken) and sometimes it's dry. But that's off-topic -- the patties are always great. :)

Diann

Wow. What a recommendation Diann. I will head out there and report back! Thanks to all the replies.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

I had a pretty bad experience there once and never went back, so I'm interested to hear what the outcome of the visit is. If you like it, maybe I'll give it another try.

Evan:

Diann

Wow. What a recommendation Diann. I will head out there and report back! Thanks to all the replies.

Evan

I had a pretty bad experience there once and never went back, so I'm interested to hear what the outcome of the visit is.  If you like it, maybe I'll give it another try.
Evan:

Diann

Evan

Doh! Decisions....

Evan

Dough can sense fear.