• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tasting notes from Buenos Aires

Gaucho

2002 Cheval des Andes - Mendoza, Argentina

This is the second vintage of this wine, made by the JV between Terrazas de los Andes and Chateau Cheval-Blanc. 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Malbec from the areas of Las Compuertas / Lujan de Cuyo. 13.5% alcohol, 18 months in new French oak, 12 months cellaring prior to release. Available in 750ml and 1500ml magnums.

The 2002 vintage is definitely more “new world” than its predecessor. Bigger and fuller, it clearly shows its pedigree (2002 was an excellent vintage for Mendoza reds). Color is deep dark rubi-red, with a subtle nose at first…. But, as you play with your glass the nose “explodes” and shows its full power - hints of tobacco and red fruit jelly appear. On the palate, it provides a big mouthful that is intense yet not overpowering, no aggressive alcoholic kick that you sometimes find in new world young wines with “big wine” aspirations. Well rounded tannic structure, elegant and long finish.

I find this “petite Cheval Blanc” will improve with further cellaring and age gracefully. After finding its older brother 2001 to be a little too French for my taste, this “wilder” 2002 is definitely finding its way into my cellar book.

Visit Argentina and try wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!

www.terroir.com.ar