• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anybody familiar with Vincent Arroyo wines?

Jaybert41

On my way back from Montelena today I decide to pull off to check out Vincent Arroyo winery in Calestoga. Much to my suprise I was completly floored with his wines! He himself was there in the winery pouring '02 Merlot, '02 Cab, and '02 "Nameless" and "DKC" meritage blends.

Having been out tasting most of the morning, I was pretty tired and had not been impressed much with that days bounty. I was shocked to taste just how full and lively all of these wines were. There was such a nice balance between the CA fruit, earth, structure, tannin and most importantly- acidity.

He commented that they are known for petite syrah and later drew off a barrel sample due to be bottled in three weeks. Considering that is was a barrel sample, again I was very impressed with it's balance for such a monster as petite syrah.

My favorites of the day though were the two meritage blends, especially the DKC. I enjoy the fact that he uses a higher percentages of petite verdot and cabernet franc than most. I find that these make for a more interesting nose that I am quite fond of.

For estate wines that ranged from $27 to $38, this marks one of my new favorite Napa Valley wine makers.

I would be curious to know of other people's opinions or experiences. Thanks.

On my way back from Montelena today I decide to pull off to check out Vincent Arroyo winery in Calestoga. Much to my suprise I was completly floored with his wines! He himself was there in the winery pouring '02 Merlot, '02 Cab, and '02 "Nameless" and "DKC" meritage blends.

Having been out tasting most of the morning, I was pretty tired and had not been impressed much with that days bounty. I was shocked to taste just how full and lively all of these wines were. There was such a nice balance between the CA fruit, earth, structure, tannin and most importantly- acidity.

He commented that they are known for petite syrah and later drew off a barrel sample due to be bottled in three weeks. Considering that is was a barrel sample, again I was very impressed with it's balance for such a monster as petite syrah.

My favorites of the day though were the two meritage blends, especially the DKC. I enjoy the fact that he uses a higher percentages of petite verdot and cabernet franc than most. I find that these make for a more interesting nose that I am quite fond of.

For estate wines that ranged from $27 to $38, this marks one of my new favorite Napa Valley wine makers.

I would be curious to know of other people's opinions or experiences. Thanks.

I had this very same experience with Mr. Arroyo in 2000 (on my way to Chateau Montelena). Wandered in and saw this lovely man playing with his dogs and walking them along a stream on the property. He was so laid back I thought perhaps he was a caretaker or something. Then he introduced himself and I was floored. He didn't have too many samples lying about back then, and actually was only selling "futures" for the next vintage, so alas I was unable to purchase any of his lovely wines to take with me. But the little I tried was amazing!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Jay,

I still have some of Vince's 1987 Cabernet Sauvignon in my cellar and his 93 cab. may be one of the best balanced cabs. from Napa I have tasted; certainly the star of that vintage.

I also have more than a few bottles of his Petite Sirah in the cellar and, if you can buy any (I think its all sold on mailing list), I suggest you avoid the reserves as they are heavily oaked.

Vince is another guy who chose winemaking as a second career and he has continued to do good work for about the last twenty years.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Vincent Arroyo Winery is one of the reasons me and my wife return to Napa every year. A small family run winery. Step over the black lab sleeping in the doorway and belly up to the plank placed between to barrels and taste wine. Great stuff!! There is another winery over in Sonoma that just popped into my mind......Porter Creek off of Westside Road. Little tiny shack for a tasting room....lot's of fun

Edited by jeffperez62 (log)

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Jim, Do tell!!!!

The bulldozers came and tore it all down to plant merlot or some such. The whole damn hill!

And this with an ordinance against new vineyards in force in Sonoma Cnty. at the time.

Its nice to be king, I guess, but the view from that tasting room just got real different.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com