• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crushing Ice

Last night, I needed crushed ice for the cocktail I mixed for my wife and I. I put the ice in a plastic bag, wrapped it in a towel, and beat it with my short handled 10lb sledge hammer. Besides making a hell of a racket and scaring the dogs and making my whole counter shake, it worked fine and I got the ice I needed. I have a blender, but I don't think it works well for this. Anyone else have any thoughts on this process?

I use the same technique (with a hard rubber mallet rather than a sledge), though you need a heavy-duty bag to pull it off. I think Sam recommended a leather bag, and that makes sense.

The dog issue has me considering a mechanical crusher, though.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

The easiest and best thing I've come across is to surf eBay and pick up a Rival Ice-o-Matic electric ice crusher. These things date from the 50s and 60s, they have powerful motors and are adjustable from a rough crack to a fine crush. Just search for "ice crusher" at eBay and look for the big, heavy ones with fine-course adjustment. The ones you want have a curvy, vaguely art deco design.

I don't see any for auction right now, but they are frequently for sale on eBay.

--

The easiest and best thing I've come across is to surf eBay and pick up a Rival Ice-o-Matic electric ice crusher.  These things date from the 50s and 60s, they have powerful motors and are adjustable from a rough crack to a fine crush.  Just search for "ice crusher" at eBay and look for the big, heavy ones with fine-course adjustment.  The ones you want have a curvy, vaguely art deco design.

I don't see any for auction right now, but they are frequently for sale on eBay.

Thanks Sam,

Just what I need another kitchen appliance. My wife will be thrilled. However, the kitchen is the one room of the house that is pretty much mine so I will search for one of these. Till than I guess my sledgehammer will have to do.

Just don't try to take one in your carry on baggage. I had to mail mine home. They also didn't understand why I'd have an ice crusher in my backpack, they found it very suspicious. Cretins.

regards,

trillium

I use a manual hand crank ice crusher.  I bought it for around $30 at a kitchenware store.

David

I have one of these also and love it. I do not have to plug it in anywhere. It does an excellent of crushing the ice not only for drinks but also for the caviar server.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!