• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Piccolo Italia

thecips

Just returned from this restaurant in Ocean, NJ right off Rt 36. This is one of the best Italian places we have been to in a long time. We plan on becoming regulars even though we live in Edison. Only down side is the just got there liqour license but they dont kill you with the price of the wine, They are ready to expand in the next month or so. This is no more than 5 to 10 minutes from Eatontown Mall. I had a veal dish that would melt in your mouth and the sauce you could die for with a apple, walnut , pine nuts potatoe. My husband had the scallops that were on the menu which were outrageous with a lemon , orange citrus sauce. We shared a order of gnocchi and they were so light they could fly off your plate. For a starter er had a baked brie with a fig sauce that was pure heaven. If you need there phone number it is 732 449 9019. Take the trip it is WORTH IT.

Linda

Just returned from this restaurant in Ocean, NJ right off Rt 36. This is one of the best Italian places we have been to in a long time. We plan on becoming regulars even though we live in Edison. Only down side is the just got there liqour license but they dont kill you with the price of the wine, They are ready to expand in the next month or so. This is no more than 5 to 10 minutes from Eatontown Mall. I had a veal dish that would melt in your mouth and the sauce you could die for with a apple, walnut , pine nuts potatoe. My husband had the scallops that were on the menu which were outrageous with a lemon , orange citrus sauce. We shared a order of gnocchi and they were so light they could fly off your plate. For a starter er had a baked brie with a fig sauce that was pure heaven. If you need there phone number it is 732 449 9019. Take the trip it is WORTH IT.

Linda

It's been a longtime favorite of my family's and has happily lasted a while in a shopping complex where restaurants are not known for their longevity. Glad you enjoyed it - next time request Kosmo as your waiter - he's a trip.

Maybe a real deal Italian gets his restaurant listed in Zagat during its first 5 years  :biggrin:

Just teasing Lou.

Hey, I'm 1/2 Italian and the rest of me is Irish & American Indian. Just wanted a little clarification and I don't want to start a new topic and be moved elsewhere but did you ever notice mostly Italians are portrayed with their accents on commericals. If I have to listen to Aldo & Carlo from the Macaroni Grill ( We 1/2 Italians don't say Macaroni either) with their silly commericals, I'm gonna hurl. Can you imagine for example, African-Americans with a southern accent talking about ribs, or a Jewish-American slepping bagels with a strong Bronx accent on the radio? Seems a little dumb. Could it be my distaste for chains?

Anyway, I digress. I'm still curious what a real deal Italian is?

Edited by Lreda (log)

• 4 weeks later...

I had a very nice first time meal this past weekend. Although we didn't have "Kosmo" as our waiter, we ordered our meal entirely on our server's recommendations and were not disappointed. At our server's suggestion, we shared a salad (with goat cheese, walnuts, apple) which was plated onto 2 plates. I appreciated the suggestion as we probably would have ordered separate salads and the one was sufficient. I had the monkfish special in a fish broth which was quite good, and my wife had a shrimp and pasta special. Nothing on the dessert menu jumped out at us, but our server highly recommended the chocolate mousse which neither my wife nor I are big fans of. When the server said the mousse would be on the house if we didn't enjoy it, we took the plunge and were not disappointed. As far as mousse goes, this one was light and not too rich. The portion was quite large and we could not finish it. A couple of minor service flaws, but nothing that detracted from an enjoyable meal. With a bottle of wine ($29), one salad, two entrees, one dessert, one coffee, the bill came to just over $100 before tip. Pretty reasonable for the quality of the meal.

My brain is starting to hurt from trying to imagine a fresh, seasonal waiter named Kosmo.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Lreda,  What is real Italian!!!  It is simple fresh ingredients that is grown local and seasonal.  It is that simple.  If you what more come see me at The Jefferson.

True, though that describes real French, Chinese, Thai, southwestern US and California cuisine pretty well also.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Not when you are eatting Italain in the US. It is the most basterized food. So in the fall I will do boar,cheastnuts,t-bone,like tuscany-piedmonte-becouse the weather is the same and same thing growing both places.

Not when you are eatting Italain in the US.  It is the most basterized food.  So in the fall I will do boar,cheastnuts,t-bone,like tuscany-piedmonte-becouse the weather is the same and same thing growing both places.

Oh, I thought we were discussing "real" food.

You don't think any other cuisines have been as bastardized in the US? A suggestion, go down to the local grocery store, pick up and look at a bottle of "French" salad dressing. Tell me where in France you're going to find any of that florescent orange goo for sale...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

What is you point!!!!! You think you can find penne vodka in Italy. Well the people think that is the food of Italy. So no shit there is not any French dressing in France. The point is people think Itl-Am is the food of Italy. I know this becouse it what I do. Thank you Mark