• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a rec for a group of 15

eoksala

Hi Philly,

I'm looking for a place that can accommodate a group of 15 later this month. It's a collection of Drs. and assorted scientists but I've never met them, so I'm happy to impose my tastes on the group.

I'm a fan of Susanna Foo's and Allegira and the Birchrunville Cafe in ChesCo. So something along those lines would be great. Also open to any new suggestions, as I haven't lived in the area for about 10yrs.

Ideally this place would have a private room, but it's not a deal breaker. After a quick check on opentable, the only available option was Astral Plane, and the times there weren't that hot.

We're staying at the airport, so Center City is about as far as we'd like to stray.

Much Thanks!

Susanna Foo, if it fits your budget, would be a good starting point. They have private room facilities on the second floor above the main dining room. Ditto for Brasserie Perrier on the other side of the street.

If you'd like a couple of options that are a tad more casual but still appropriate for your group, try either of the restaurants owned by chef Patrice Rames: Bistro St. Tropez at 24th and Market or Patou at 3rd and Market. Neither has a totally separate private room but both have ample space and can often accommodate large parties.

Alma de Cuba has a private dining room upstairs and would be a great choice if your budget allows. As far as I know its stairs only though, so that might not work for your group.

Brasserie Perrier also has a private room.

Haven't been to Moshulu for quite awhile, but that might also be a nice option for summertime, waterfront dining.

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama

Y'know, I was in Spasso for lunch yesterday.

It's on Front St, between Chestnut and Market.

No one really mentions it, but they have good homemade pasta.

I had gorgonzola gnocci to die for (literally), but light! Delicious!

Their Antipasto is good, great spicy olives and marinated zucchini, hubby had grilled Calamari over Arugula (he was being good, I was being bad).

A very nice Montepulciano d'abruzzo and a delicious Montalcino by the glass.

Anyway, I walked around to the bathroom....they have two VERY HUGE rooms in the back! One looks big enough for a wedding party or something! I wonder what its used for? It's always empty when I'm there, but then again, we only go for lunch-once in a while.

Philly Francophiles

I'd second the White Dog Cafe! It's located amongst the U. of Penn campus, so it's full of doc's, prof's and scientists. Great for small groups. See the website.

http://whitedogcafe.com/

PS. fyi take it for grantite that you will have to cab into Center City to get good food. The airport is a desolate wasteland of oil refineries.