• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Yoda

Yoda

Asking about temperature settings

10 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

What country are you in, @Yoda?  You might search for "cake flour substitute in @Yoda's country"

Google told me that in Italy: "For cookies, bars, cakes/cupcakes, biscuits, scones, or anything that needs a tender crumb, use Farina di grano tenero, 00"

And in Germany: "Type 405 is finest ground flour you will find in Germany. It has the highest starch content which makes it ideal for the baking of cupcakes and cakes where you want a finer crumb"

You might find something that will work for you.

I'm from Slovenia so the flours differentiate by type (400, 500, 800), the higher the number, the more whole grain it is.

And by soft and coarse - with soft flours being more appropriate for leavened doughs and coarser ones for cookies, crepes, pies, etc.(supposedly- that's what the instructions state :))

My flour was type 400, but I opted for the coarser mill instead of powdery like (like the 00 type in italian flours)

Going with the coarse one was the mistake probably, along with not diluting it with starch?

The thing is, I have a manitoba 00 flour which is veery soft and powdery, but it is meant for baking bread and so has 13% protein.

I think I will go with the AP flour and add to it some starch like others suggested.

Ap flours here have around 11% protein so it shoul work, hopefully

So you guys think it was the flour?

Edit:

Do you think the temperature was appropriate? 

(I'm always confused with baking, when the recipe says to bake at a certain temperature - is it meant to bake at that temperature with or without fan? .. And since I have the option of baking with fan on, should I lower the temperature of baking and vy how much. For this recipe though, I think the instructions were meant to bake with fan, since the instructed temperature was 165C. While I was looking qt a lot of other genoise recipes, they all said to bake at 180°C (so I'm guessing that was meant without the fan on?) 

Yoda

Yoda

10 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

What country are you in, @Yoda?  You might search for "cake flour substitute in @Yoda's country"

Google told me that in Italy: "For cookies, bars, cakes/cupcakes, biscuits, scones, or anything that needs a tender crumb, use Farina di grano tenero, 00"

And in Germany: "Type 405 is finest ground flour you will find in Germany. It has the highest starch content which makes it ideal for the baking of cupcakes and cakes where you want a finer crumb"

You might find something that will work for you.

I'm from Slovenia so the flours differentiate by type (400, 500, 800), the higher the number, the more whole grain it is.

And by soft and coarse - with soft flours being more appropriate for leavened doughs and coarser ones for cookies, crepes, pies, etc.(supposedly- that's what the instructions state :))

My flour was type 400, but I opted for the coarser mill instead of powdery like (like the 00 type in italian flours)

Going with the coarse one was the mistake probably, along with not diluting it with starch?

The thing is, I have a manitoba 00 flour which is veery soft and powdery, but it is meant for baking bread and so has 13% protein.

I think I will go with the AP flour and add to it some starch like others suggested.

Ap flours here have around 11% protein so it shoul work, hopefully

So you guys think it was the flour?

Do you think the temperature was appropriate?