• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Little Rock

Our hotel was right downtown, with a view of the Clinton library from our room, and directly across the street from the River Market. The market includes a market hall that's open all week, Ottenheimer Hall, as well outdoor pavilions that host farmers markets on Tuesday and Saturday (and various functions in the evenings) and a series of small parks and an amphitheatre, etc.

I made a point of visiting the farmers market on Saturday AM and was impressed at the quality and range of produce on offer. There are actually two pavilions, and the one where I took these photos is restricted to locally-produced items.

Lots of produce:

gallery_11280_2928_183850.jpg

gallery_11280_2928_1039544.jpg

gallery_11280_2928_524022.jpg

gallery_11280_2928_251669.jpg

gallery_11280_2928_657720.jpg

gallery_11280_2928_319874.jpg

Can you pee in the ocean?

There are several good bakeries in town. This one sets up a booth at the market, while others have branches downtown or inside Ottenheimer Hall. I didn't buy any, but reliable sources say it's very good:

gallery_11280_2928_591570.jpg

gallery_11280_2928_224257.jpg

There were several vendors of local meat:

gallery_11280_2928_708907.jpg

gallery_11280_2928_214727.jpg

These signs give you an idea of what's available (though not the names of the vendors, unfortunately). I didn't photograph any of the meat, as it's all wrapped and stored in coolers at the farmers market (a very good thing, given how warm the Arkansas summers will get), but there are butchers inside that sell meat from the same producers and it looked very nice. I found a nice raw goat milk cheddar style cheese from an Arkansas producer (had it for lunch and breakfast the next day, along with some sugar snap peas, carrots, radishes, and strawberries), but can't recall the name and can't find it on line.

Eggs also available:

gallery_11280_2928_228660.jpg

gallery_11280_2928_428859.jpg

Finally, your sweet tooth needn't suffer:

gallery_11280_2928_10086.jpg

gallery_11280_2928_240478.jpg

The honey vendor also sells soap and the marshmallow vendor, well, I don't quite know what to say about the marshmallow vendor.

Forgot to mention that you can buy frozen shrimp from Brave New Shrimp (referenced up thread) inside the market as well.

And my husband and I had a nice evening drinking beer at Flying Saucer. Big place, pleasant vibe (if you don't mind servers in Brittany Spears-ish get ups), nice selection of beers including lambics (we shared a peach one for "dessert"). Right on the main drag downtown, big windows open to the street.

Your posts on Little Rock are greatly appreciated, Therese! We have heard little, if anything, on this southern city since Bill Clinton left the White House ... the photographs of all that fresh produce are enticing!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

And Little Rock is one of the few places in the world where you can buy Xanath, a Mexican vanilla liqueur, and one of my very favorite things on the planet.

It's available at Colonial Wine & Spirits.

I've been looking for it everywhere, since first discovering it in Mexico. Finally, I found that Colonial had it, and drove the three hours down there, and bought two cases.

It's particularly good over ice cream. And in coffee. And combined with tequila. And mixed with cream over ice.

Yum.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 year later...
For relatively upscale dining:.......Acadia.

I’d endorse Acadia, not too far from the Medical School, which five of ate at last night with great satisfaction. I loved the very spicy crayfish bisque and raw inside/toasted outside big scallop appetizers, with salad dressed with another spicy sauce. My hosts loved their fish and other salads. The wine list is pretty big and eclectic; the Spanish Tempranillo we had was just right.

I also had a nice luncheon at Bossa Nova, a Brazilian place also near the Medical School, where I loved the Salpicaõ (chicken) on rice and Pão de Queijo’s (Cheese Bread Rolls.)

Both meals were paid for by my hosts so I cannot supply numbers.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris