• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morels + Asparagus = ?

Alex

Given last weekend's snowstorm, you wouldn't guess it, but morel and asparagus season is almost upon us here in Michigan. I'd love to put together a wonderful dish with those two ingredients when a couple of chef friends come over for dinner a few weeks from now.

I've previously made Tapawingo's Cassoulet of Morels, Fiddleheads and Asparagus, as well as the usual starch (risotto, pasta, etc.) combo, but I'd like to try something different. Morel-asparagus ice cream is definitely out, but I'm open to any other ideas.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

I guess an omlette or a frittata would be too simple, even if you tarted them up with cream and some sort of fancy ham? Or maybe the hip-again Bouchon quiche?

You could always claim you wanted to keep it simple to let the fresh seasonal ingredients shine, a la Alice Waters and those left-coast types.

Or hell, just serve them together with a buerre blanc that's had a little whipped cream stirred in at the end. Maybe some fried shallots on top for crunch.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Check out Tom Colicchio's Think Like A Chef, it includes a whole section on nothing but asparagus/morel recipes.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Check out Tom Colicchio's Think Like A Chef, it includes a whole section on nothing but asparagus/morel recipes.

Thanks! That's the drawback (at least for me) of having 250 or so cookbooks -- I forget what's where. :wacko:

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

This has been the greatest week of my life in terms of asparagus and morel consumption -- kind of a perfect storm of asparagus and morels. I had asparagus with morels at Jean Georges on Monday, and then I had them at Alain Ducasse New York on Tuesday. Don't hate me.

Anyway, the lesson I took away from seeing the way two of the country's top restaurants treated asparagus and morels is: keep it simple. Both dishes were wonderful, but both were minimalist: at Jean Georges it was a riff on the traditional cream sauce; at Ducasse the asparagus and morels were an accompaniment to roasted veal, so they were enhanced with a veal jus. That would be my vote: roast some veal, make a jus, and serve the asparagus and morels with the veal and jus -- and maybe a little butter and whipped cream for good measure.

(If you have Delouvrier's book, Mastering Simplicity, there's the basic morel-and-asparagus recipe minus the veal.)

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This has been the greatest week of my life in terms of asparagus and morel consumption -- kind of a perfect storm of asparagus and morels. I had asparagus with morels at Jean Georges on Monday, and then I had them at Alain Ducasse New York on Tuesday. Don't hate me.

Anyway, the lesson I took away from seeing the way two of the country's top restaurants treated asparagus and morels is: keep it simple. Both dishes were wonderful, but both were minimalist: at Jean Georges it was a riff on the traditional cream sauce; at Ducasse the asparagus and morels were an accompaniment to roasted veal, so they were enhanced with a veal jus. That would be my vote: roast some veal, make a jus, and serve the asparagus and morels with the veal and jus -- and maybe a little butter and whipped cream for good measure.

(If you have Delouvrier's book, Mastering Simplicity, there's the basic morel-and-asparagus recipe minus the veal.)

I love the veal idea but unfortunately, for medical reasons, one of the guests is unable to eat red meat. I wonder if the same approach would work for roast chicken (or even turkey -- I still have one in the freezer), with maybe some veal or chicken glace thrown in.

Edited by Alex (log)

I had asparagus with morels at Jean Georges on Monday, and then I had them at Alain Ducasse New York on Tuesday. Don't hate me.

I hate you AND I hope your pee stinks (click).

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My favorite way to enjoy morels and asparagus together is to saute them in a little whole butter, toss in a bit of reduced chicken broth fortified with some sherry and add a bit of orzo. Shave some parm reg over the top. Ramps also make a great addition to this.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

I love the veal idea but unfortunately, for medical reasons, one of the guests is unable to eat red meat. I wonder if the same approach would work for roast chicken (or even turkey -- I still have one in the freezer), with maybe some veal or chicken glace thrown in.

I would think a whole roast chicken, basted with herb butter, would make for a very nice presentation with asparagus and morels. Take those pan juices -- which will be a combination of natural jus and herb butter -- and fortify them with a little glace and wine and maybe shallots and hey why not a little whipped cream, and you're all set.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)