• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bananarama

chromedome

Okay...looking to pick some brains again. At my work I've got something on the order of eight cases of bananas that need to be used up. We already make three different kinds of banana muffins, each of which requires a full 16L bucket of mashed banana, and I have a fourth coming into the lineup. We make banana bread daily, I've put bananas into my bread-pudding-of-the-week, I'll be making banana cream pies in two different sizes tomorrow, and...I'm still looking for ideas.

I found the thread Patrick S started a few months ago, and there may be some things there that I can use, but I wanted to throw the question out to see what new ideas people have tripped across.

My limitations? Can't do anything frozen, or plated. Refrigerated is okay, I have a refrigerated showcase (would need to be packaged into clamshell containers). Limited time/space/manpower, like everybody else in this business.

I'm thinking about a "tarte tatin" variation for tomorrow, and perhaps a truffle-centred banana cupcake (I have some leftover ganache centres to use up).

Anyone? Anyone? Class? ...........Bueller?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

can you do drinks--- like smoothies? then you could take those old nanners and make a profit! or,,,

chocolate banana cheesecake

banana cream pies

banana mousse w/ caramelized bananas on top

banana walnut frangipane tarts

dried banana slices for garnish

Melissa McKinney

Chef/Owner Criollo Bakery

mel@criollobakery.com

Caramelized bananas with crepes and cream and/or chocolate sauce are very nice. And I'm a sucker for a nice banana split, although I realize it's not exactly classy restaurant fare.

Edited by lexy (log)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

For others, here's Patrick S.'s thread on banana desserts: click Lot's of great idea plus Patrick tested several recipes.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I make a creamy rice pudding using coconut milk then fold in sliced bananas and sliced strawberries and chill.

Pretty and very tasty.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We make big batches of banana caramel that we use as a filling in cakes, bread pudding, and donuts, among other things:

2265 g sugar

425 g glucose

1130 g butter

4535 g banana puree

make a caramel with sugar and glucose. Turn off heat and add butter in chunks. Stir together as the butter melts. When all the butter is incorporated, whisk in banana puree. When the mixture is cool, we fill disposable pastry bags, tie off the ends and freeze for future use.

How about a riff on classic banana pudding?

Vanilla wafers could be upgraded to....

Then sliced bananas, of course

Vanilla pudding--lots of variations on that, depending on what you want to do

Chocolate's got to be in there somewhere, of course.

Some Malay ideas :biggrin:

Banana 'pancakes' & banana fritters.

Pengat Pisang - bananas cooked in coconut milk and palm sugar with some sago pearls.

Ketuk Pisang - boiled bananas served with fresh grated coconuts

Lepat Pisang - steamed banana 'cakes'

Aren't your bananas all black by now? :raz: