• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appropriate interview attire

jgarner53

Congratulations, jgarner53!! It's been a long time since I've been out to "The City." I'll have to try out "your" bread instead of the other one (that starts with a "P") at Fisherman's Wharf.

nightscotsman, I am shocked! Shocked! This is jgarner53's first pastry job and already, you're introducing her to ... "substances." :angry::wink::wink:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

oh, wonderful! congratulations! i love the place, and the book. the macarons! the croque monsieur! i hope it is a terrific experience for you. after cooking school is when the learning really begins!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I forgot to add my congrats, jgarner!

We've followed you through pastry school and now we're putting you on the bus to work!

It's a bittersweet moment for us "pastry parents"..... :wub:

Do you know what kinds of job duties you will have? Like make the danish? Or make scones and bread doughs....or?

Do you know what kinds of job duties you will have? Like make the danish? Or make scones and bread doughs....or?

I know that primarily I'll be working in pastry. The bread guys (who pull the 12-8 shift) do the bread that's done in-house, and there's a small viennoiserie department that handles the macarons, croissants, and all the lamination (yes, the puff pastry is made in-house) Pastry does all the tarts (fresh fruit tarts, lemon and lime meringue, chocolate caramel pecan, tarte tatin, goat cheese/fruit, probably others I can't think of), the cannelés, which are kind of their specialty, mini financiers, éclairs, St. Honoré, napoleons, etc. So those are the things I'll be working on.

However, I do know that one of the reasons they hired someone is that vacations are lining up, and they need people to cover shifts, so I will likely be shuffled around and get to learn more about the croissants, savory things like the croque monsieurs, quiches, etc. I don't know if I'll be working bread at all.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Congrats on the job ...but for those of us reading that are still under or unemployed Dont take any job where they offer to hire you during the 1st interview...never ever ever...

If they dont care if you are potentially a lying sack then they dont care about alot of things and you dont want to work there

onward

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association