• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's my party!

Chufi

So, my birthday is coming up. Birthdays mean 2 things to me: getting presents :biggrin: and the opportunity to cook for friends and family. Here's what I have planned for next week:

sunday: brunch for 6

tuesday: bring cake for 16 to work

tuesday: birthday buffet for 20

Not very complicated but there are a couple of obstacles on the way..

- I only will have time to shop early Saturday morning (the rest of the Saturday my husband is taking me out for the day as a birthday present) and on Monday,

- I have to work on Tuesday so all the shopping and preparations for the buffet have to be done on Monday. On my birthday, I will come home from work about half an hour before the guests arrive.

- and I'm on a budget!

So, I have been very busy thinking about cakes and a buffet menu that can be completely prepared ahead. I have a lot of ideas right now, but have not decided on all items yet.

I hope this thread will help to keep me motivated to make this a memorable birthday-weekend. :smile:

Today I got ahead by buying lots of non-perishables in advance: flour, sugar, butter, rice, pasta etc.

And I made 2 dozen of these to go in the freezer and to be reheated on the day of the party. They are savoury muffins, half is flavored with rosemary and goatscheese, the other half with sage, spring onions and parmesan. The smell when they came out of the oven was heavenly.

gallery_21505_358_24085.jpg

oooh, Chufi! lovely muffins.

have you thought of a food theme for your buffet? that might help us narrow down suggestions a bit...

or do you want it wild? :laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

have you thought of a food theme for your buffet? that might help us narrow down suggestions a bit...

well, the theme is, prepare ahead.. :biggrin:

For the hot dish, I'm thinking of a baked risotto with bacon, courgette and brie. I made this once before and it's lovely, rich and filling yet summery.

I'm also determined to roast a lot of cauliflower and serve that as part of a salad. I was thinking watercress would go nicely with it.

I feel like I owe it to EGullet to expose my guests to roast cauliflower :wink:

I have decided on the cakes though, after a lot of very careful consideration..

for the brunch on Sunday (with parents and inlaws and stepdaughter) I'm doing an oldfashioned spongecake, sandwiched together with a mascarpone cream and raspberries.

To take to work, chocolate cinnamon almond squares.

For the buffet, white chocolate-cheesecake (not baked, the refrigerator kind) with strawberry sauce, and a pistachio cardamomcake with lemon syrup.

Of course you can sigh about being 36...but 36 was great for me...met my husband that year!

40 is the new 30, so 36 must be the new 26 - you are younger than you think!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

fun!! happy b-day Chufi!

I had really good luck doing a beef tenderloin for a party last year. It can be sliced up and served at room temp- on skewers or as a yummy filling for those muffins!

various crostini are great make aheads too, just keep the toppings in the fridge for a few days and then assemble.

I had really good luck doing a beef tenderloin for a party last year. It can be sliced up and served at room temp- on skewers or as a yummy filling for those muffins!

ah, beef tenderloin. I remember that from your Christmas party (that sounds as if I was there :smile: ). Now, if I wasn't on a budget...

I was actually thinking of doing a kind of weird buffet dish from one of Delia Smiths books. It's cold Yorkshirepuddings with roastbeef and horseradish sauce (to economize, I would buy the beef ready sliced at the deli). Now I can't imagine that Yorkshires can be prepared ahead and will taste good the next day. I think I have to try that out tomorrow...

If the budget is a little tight London Broil or skirt steak sliced thin go a long way and get raves as well. If you are a member of Sam's, Bj's or Costco a pork loin about $20.00 cooked on the grill with a peppercorn rub, I'll supply the recipe if you want, will feed a small army also popular.

Just by some rolls, saute a few onions and peppers pull together a few condiments, if necessary and instant meat course.

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I just have to ask...when is your birthday?  Mine is the 25th and I will be 40...sigh.

it's the 26th, and I'll be 36.. can I also sigh, even if I'm not turning 40?

Mine is the 27th, and I'll be 29.... though I tend to act my shoe size, rather than my age.... :biggrin:

Those muffins look lovely. Do you work from a standard muffin recipe, and just add in what you like? Or is there a savory muffin recipe out there?

Happy Birthday(s)!

Those muffins look lovely. Do you work from a standard muffin recipe, and just add in what you like?  Or is there a savory muffin recipe out there?

yes there is, Delia Smith's savoury muffins

I have decided on the cakes though, after a lot of very careful consideration..

for the brunch on Sunday (with parents and inlaws and stepdaughter) I'm doing an oldfashioned spongecake, sandwiched together with a mascarpone cream and raspberries.

To take to work, chocolate cinnamon almond squares.

For the buffet, white chocolate-cheesecake (not baked, the refrigerator kind) with strawberry sauce, and a pistachio cardamomcake with lemon syrup.

The desserts sounds great! Hope to hear more about them (and see pix) as things go along.

Have you made any of these before or are you sailing out into the wild blue yonder with new desserts? :smile:

(I recently cooked a special dinner for friends on the occasion of my birthday and it was so much fun. Enjoy your preparations, and here's sending Happy Birthday wishes to you in lovely Amsterdam)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Have you made any of these before or are you sailing out into the wild blue yonder with new desserts?  :smile:

yes, the blue yonder.. I don't bake very often so I don't like to make the same things twice, I always want to try new things. There are a couple of cakes that I have done often, but all of my guests have had them many times so it's time for something new!

Today I did get ahead on some more things. I did a test batch of the Yorkshirepuddings. They tasted great, but ofcourse the real test is how they will taste tomorrow!

Then I made a big pot of carrot tomato soup, for Sunday lunch, and a batch of tomato/red onion/chili chutney, to serve at the buffet with the muffins and cheeses.

Simmering away..

gallery_21505_358_8985.jpg

.. and ready. Both will go in the freezer.

gallery_21505_358_26128.jpg

Well, the first part of the birthdaymarathon is over: brunch with the family.

We came home at 2 am last night (or should I say this morning) from a concert, so I did not really feel like baking a cake when the alarm went of this morning. But I did:

gallery_21505_358_7612.jpg

Spongecake with strawberry mascarpone cream. There was also a layer of Drambuie flavored marmelade on the sponges. It was delicious...

the rest of the food:

gallery_21505_358_5295.jpg

shaping the oatmeal-buttermilkrolls (I'm not very good at shaping things :sad: )

and here they are freshly baked, with the carrot soup I made earlier this week:

gallery_21505_358_12316.jpg

asparagus & mint frittata:

gallery_21505_358_9846.jpg

Insalata Caprese, and smoked salmon with avocado, with caper dressing.

gallery_21505_358_10741.jpg

A long day of shopping and cooking ahead tomorrow so I'm going to relax now with the last mimosa of the day..

Wow everything looks great. Happy Birthday!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Well, the first part of the birthdaymarathon is over: brunch with the family.

We came home at 2 am last night (or should I say this morning) from a concert, so I did not really feel like baking a cake when the alarm went of this morning. But I did:

gallery_21505_358_7612.jpg

Spongecake with strawberry mascarpone cream. There was also a layer of Drambuie flavored marmelade on the sponges. It was delicious...

What a great brunch; love the menu. Nice to have the soup and the two fresh salads; like the idea of the smoked salmon and avocado.

I've been there on weekend mornings--setting the alarm to make the cake... :smile: It's nice once one is awake though; quite and no distractions.

What else did you add to the mascarpone and berries to make the filling?

p.s. The cake looks very lovely as well!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Monday was a long, long day of shopping and cooking. Did I mention that I don't drive, do all my shopping by bike, and then take it to our apartment on the 5th floor (no elevator)?

I made 24 of these (this are the leftovers) to take to work on my birthday. They were served with whipped cream:

gallery_21505_358_16758.jpg

And here are some pics of the party. i didn't take many because it was a bit hectic!

some of the appetizers:

gallery_21505_358_21585.jpg

onionconfit custard with thyme and parmesan

gallery_21505_358_3043.jpg

little yorkshires with roastbeef, horseradish cream and watercress

things with bread and muffins: lentil puree, green pea and mint & creamcheese spread, tomato chutney, cheeses. There were also nuts, olives, and radishes to nibble

gallery_21505_358_33969.jpg

two giant pans of risotto gratin. The risotto was made with bacon, rosemary and courgette, and finished under the grill with lots of brie. It was very rich, creamy and very delicious:

gallery_21505_358_28393.jpg

served with two salads: tomato- fennel- basil, and a salad of roasted cauliflower, mixed with chickpeas and lots of parsley, with a lemon dressing:

gallery_21505_358_2157.jpg

Finally, dessert:

white chocolate cheesecake with raspberry sauce, and pistachio cardamom lemon cake topped with strawberries and cream:

gallery_21505_358_12202.jpg

All in all it was a big succes, there was lots and lots of food and I still have some leftovers in the fridge (risotto cakes tonight!) People were happy and that's the most important thing!

Ohhhhhhh.... the food looks heavenly!!! :wub:

I can't believe you did all the work for YOUR birthday!!! In my book, birthdays are when the birthday girl should be treated to a meal prepared by someone else!!! :laugh: (I hope, at least, you didn't have to do the clean-up.)

The mini-Yorkies with roast beef filling are an absolutely wonderful idea, BTW.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

250 grams of mascarpone and 200 ml. of cream, whipped together with some vanilla and sugar.

I love mascarpone..

Ohhhhhhh.... the food looks heavenly!!! :wub:

(I hope, at least, you didn't have to do the clean-up.)

well, yes, I did. And no dishwasher... :sad: it took me 2 hours, not too bad!!

:shock: {{{Klary}}} If I'd been there, I would've offered to do them...

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Everything looks wonderful, I hope you enjoyed your birthday!

I grew up in a house without a dishwasher, I don't drive and I currently live in a 4th floor walk-up (which oddly has a dishwasher but not enough space to throw an actual party), so I'm with you. Sometimes the challenge of it makes entertaining more fun :smile:

250 grams of mascarpone and 200 ml. of cream, whipped together with some vanilla and sugar.

I love mascarpone..

Thanks chufi... yes, mascarpone is great--and doesn't need more than cream, vanilla and sugar! I recently made a mascarpone "sorbet" that was delicious.

How did the chocolate-almond-cinnamon squares turn out? If the recipe is not too long (and if you liked them), would you mind posting it? I think it's a great flavor combination and more interesting then the typical dessert bars or squares.

Nice menu selection on your dinners. They also look great.

Edited by ludja (log)