• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White wines for spring

redwinegulper

I am going to do a tasting of a bunch of white wines to select a few house wines for this season. In Spring and Summer I prefer light, crisp, unoaked wines. I am going to taste several Sauv Blancs (france,US, NZ), viognier, soave, and orvietto. My price range is $10-20. Has anyone tasted something they would add to the list.

Thanks and cheers....Ed

Ed McAniff

A Taster's Journey

I am going to do a tasting of a bunch of white wines to select a few house wines for this season. In Spring and Summer I prefer light, crisp, unoaked wines. I am going to taste several Sauv Blancs (france,US, NZ), viognier, soave, and orvietto. My price range is $10-20. Has anyone tasted something they would add to the list.

Thanks and cheers....Ed

Ed,

I noticed you mentioned Soave; don't forget Anselmi's wines which, although that is their place of origin, do not say Soave on the label.

Others that may interest:

Torres, Vina Sol,

Any of the wines from Rueda, including Naia, Martinsancho and others,

And if bubbles does not disqualify a choice, Cava and Proseco are inexpensive and worth a try,

Godello, such as that from Bodega Senorio is very nice,

Albarino from Pazo de Senorans, Burgans and others,

Greco de Tufo, Fahangina and Fiano de Avelino are lovely Italian whites and Feudi de San Gregorio makes each,

and many, many more.

But all of the above can be found in your price range.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Lots of good suggestions for unoaked CA sauvignon blancs here.

A New Zealand Marlborough S. Blanc producer that I have really enjoyed is Isabel.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

From Italy

Roero Arneis, most of which are unoaked (I like Giacosa and Correggia)

Soave from Anselmi, Inama (the basic one only)

Pinot Grigio from Scarbolo

Falaghina wines from Cantine Farro and Mastroberardino

From Germany

Too many to mention

From France (Loire)

Saumur from Les Medailles

Vouvray from F. Pinon

From Spain

Rueda from Basa

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero