• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Restaurant Reviewers

maxmillan

I came across an old issue of NUVO today (Summer 2005) and I read an article by Jurgen Goethe. He mentions Egullet (spelled "e-Gullett" in the article) saying that on his "cursory visit" to the website, it appeared that it was full of "people who took the fun out of food" and generally didn't have much going on in their lives. (I am paraphrasing here, as I don't have the article in front of me.) The context was that the chef featured in the article said that someone on Egullet had complained about alphabet pasta in the miso soup he was featuring...

Thoughts?

I dunno...maybe I have no life, but I think Egullet is pretty fun. Learning can be fun, and I've certainly learned a lot on this board.

Okay... I'll hold my tongue.

I find info on this site much more informative and "true" than what I generally read from reviewers in papers and mags. In fact, once I read a review, I come here for a second opinion!

I came across an old issue of NUVO today (Summer 2005) and I read an article by Jurgen Goethe. He mentions Egullet (spelled "e-Gullett" in the article) saying that on his "cursory visit" to the website, it appeared that it was full of "people who took the fun out of food" and generally didn't have much going on in their lives. (I am paraphrasing here, as I don't have the article in front of me.) The context was that the chef featured in the article said that someone on Egullet had complained about alphabet pasta in the miso soup he was featuring...

Thoughts?

I dunno...maybe I have no life, but I think Egullet is pretty fun. Learning can be fun, and I've certainly learned a lot on this board.

Okay... I'll hold my tongue.

I find info on this site much more informative and "true" than what I generally read from reviewers in papers and mags. In fact, once I read a review, I come here for a second opinion!

Second opinions...and third, and fourth, etc. etc. I also find eGullet way more informative than a lot of articles.

You know, I took so long to find eGullet because the first time I heard of it (some article, don't remember where) a few years ago it was dismissed as a haven for humourless food snobs. But as my food interest grew I checked it out and what I've found couldn't be further from that assessment. People appears to be having lots of fun (exhibit a: fud's "meat cake"??? :laugh: ) and have lots going on in their lives. Just a lot of it involves food. Could be worse..

I'm learning a lot here (so far, mainly how much I have to learn :wink: ), and am looking forward to my first EG event this evening. I'm also rapidly discovering the power of EG addiction :shock: .

Mr. Gothe should certainly engage in more than a "cursory" look around.

**Melanie**

I seem to have noticed that a lot of reviewers/writers turn to eGullet for their story ideas.

As an aside, there are countless lurkers on this forum - people who always quote something they read on eGullet (but are afraid to join/post/discuss)! :cool:

Memo

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.