• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feeling lazy?

Catherine Nash

I checked out Besos Foods last week and have to say that I was impressed. Delivered right to my doorstep was the makings of a meal, all cleaned and prepped and recipe included. Wild Steelhead salmon, shitake mushrooms and potatoes diced small for hash (along with mushroom stock, leeks/shallot/ginger, and mustard greens) plus a Satsuma mandarin orange glaze and a "salad" of pickled daikon and edamame for the fish. 75% of the products were organic. Total cooking time was 25 minutes.

Anyone else heard of this/used it? Or any other similar service? It's the only such service I know of in SF.

It's great for lazy nights when you want to tuck into a wonderful home-cooked meal but are too lazy or busy or tired to shop and chop.

I have friends who use a service called Planet Organics. They love it.

--I forgot to say that they're in SF, and they don't dice and stuff for you, but hey it's faster than shopping?

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

They are customers of mine. You can try my posole without soaking it, simmering for three hours and then using it in your recipe! They'll do the work for you.

They are great guys and you see them every weekend at the farmers markets power shopping. I prefer to make my own but if I were tempted (and I am), this would be the first place I'd go.

Edited by rancho_gordo (log)

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

• 4 weeks later...

Besos Foods also delivers via Planet Organics. Right now, they are only available to Thurs and Fri customers but we should have it fully available by May 2005. Look on their grocery menu under "Farm Fresh Meal Kits" and you will see them listed. Unfortunately, only main courses are available but the may change soon!

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my first Planet Organics delivery this week and it's FANTASTIC!

Saw Besos' Farm Fresh Meal Kits on the website and they looked really tempting.

PO has Costarella fish/seafood, Niman Ranch, Dakota meats, Rosie chicken, rtc., besides produce. Not cheap but very excited to get it brought to my kitchen.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.