• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broke in Vancouver

This is for people who still have either the economic reality or sensibility of the peasant. I fit into the former category. While realizing that Vancouverites, generally speaking, have deeper pockets than folks in my home town of Detroit, there must be some hidden secrets for the discerning gourmand. So for those brave enough to nix the facade of wealth and prosperity. TELL THE TRUTH, where can I find the real deals!

This is for people who still have either the economic reality or sensibility of the peasant. I fit into the former category. While realizing that Vancouverites, generally speaking, have deeper pockets than folks in my home town of Detroit, there must be some hidden secrets for the discerning gourmand. So for those brave enough to nix the facade of wealth and prosperity. TELL THE TRUTH, where can I find the real deals!

Presuming that you are now located in Vancouver, give this thread a go

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Chinatown has some great deals.

Try Pender Seafood (fresh prawns, head off, $4.99lb).

Asia Market for fresh herbs (I can pay $2.79 at Lonsdale Quay for good quality coconut milk or load up here for $1.29, ditto for fresh Thai herbs) and Rice World for rock bottom priced dry goods, rice etc.

Dollar Meat Store, T & T and Chinatown Market for poultry and meat. I've never actually purchased any meat from these stores but it all looked ultra fresh and they do their own butchering.

Lots of fresh produce stores, some better than others.

It will probably shave about 60% off your food bill...compared to Yaletown's Urban Fare!

Welcome...and happy shopping.

cm

i frequent the dollar a bag specials in a few places. u know, the 'damaged goods'. i find in places where the avrg wealth is higher they are less tolerant of bruised fruit and saggy eggplants -surprise! so the richer neighbourhoods might be a good spot to check. i just noticed the organic place on davie - middle of the block near nasty cobs bread- has one of these dollar bins at the back.

i usually shop for the cheap stuff and share the secrets with my friend who is also from detroit - damn, is that you k?

3W

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Save on Meats (Hastings near Abbott)- just returned with a lovely piece of Sirloin ($3.98 lb.) and a nice little 4.5 lb. Ham ($1.99 lb.) passed on the Pork Hocks, this time, for $1.49 lb.

Last week I picked up a 3.5 lb. prime rib roast there ($4.98 lb.) that was excellent and as BBQ season nears I highly recommend their 2" thick Rib Eyes at $5.98 lb.

The seafood counter there is also excellent but stay away from the produce, walk a couple of blocks to Chinatown.

Despite the general high "Island" prices on most things I still find the chicken place on Granville Island to be the best alternative for quality/price ratio

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

i frequent the dollar a bag specials in a few places. u know, the 'damaged goods'. i find in places where the avrg wealth is higher they are less tolerant of bruised fruit and saggy eggplants -surprise! so the richer neighbourhoods might be a good spot to check. i just noticed the organic place on davie - middle of the block near nasty cobs bread- has one of these dollar bins at the back.

i usually shop for the cheap stuff and share the secrets with my friend who is also from detroit - damn, is that you k?

3W

Corrrect again my friend. Did you ever find that finger?

The dollar bins are a great and over looked resource. Especialy if you have the vision and skill to cut off a bruise, or scratch. I would like to thank everyone for there suggestions. I'm very close to having no cash at all, so the cheaper the better. $15 until the 15th of april. What would you buy?

$15 for 10 to 11 days? Man, budgeting like that takes me back a few years. When I had budget constraints like that the main staples of my diet we're pasta (no sauce) with a little salt, fruit (whatever was cheapest), and peanut butter sandwiches (no jam but sometimes banana). My treat at the end of the week was saving my change for a $5 DQ Burger Meal. So, I empathize with your situation. :sad: I remember always finding odd jobs to do for my neighbors who we're amazing cooks and would often invite me to dinner.

When I was 19 Ramen noodles were my staple during hard times, but now I'm a little older and my palette is a bit more refined. I have made a point of stocking up on potato, tomato, pasta, onion, garlic, cilantro, basil, dried beans, and rice; most of which I have frozen giving me the ability to make it through the next several days. There is no substitute for fresh veggies and seafood. But, I will survive with a smile and a large helping of humility. Thanks for the luck, wishes, and info.

Well, no they aren't. The wholesalers are:

~Wild West Organic Harvest

2120 Van Dyke Place

Richmond 604-276-2411

~Pro Organics

4535 Still Creek Ave.

Burnaby 604-253-6549

Some of the organic food home delivery services do Saturday sales. Try calling SPUD (Small Potatoes), they might have one. They are at the bottom of Commerical (I think they are still there, anyways). If not then maybe one of the other ones in Van does.

The farmer's market is a great place to get produce too, although not neccessarily inexpensive, depending on what you want and who you get it from.