• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

West Early Prix Fixe

Vancouver

One of the mains, the RED KURI SQUASH AND CARMELIZED ONION RISOTTO WITH SAGE sounds like that risotto that Chef Hawksworth sent out as an amuse during our West DOV dinner. I remember lots of people (myself included) absolutely loving that risotto--sounds like the Early Prix Fixe is a must-try. :smile:

One of the mains, the RED KURI SQUASH AND CARMELIZED ONION RISOTTO WITH SAGE sounds like that risotto that Chef Hawksworth sent out as an amuse during our West DOV dinner. I remember lots of people (myself included) absolutely loving that risotto--sounds like the Early Prix Fixe is a must-try.  :smile:

Wine pairings sound wonderful, too.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I tried to get my parents to take me there Saturday for their anniversary dinner, but they are so hooked on Parkside that no other place will do. Not that I mind!! :raz:

So I can't help you out, but that early menu was one of my suggestions to them (I have a show to go to Saturday so we're going to eat early).

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

First post...

My wife and I tried the early dinner the other night. Not the same menu as on the web - which I took to reflect them actually changing the menu with the "normal" one.

The restaurant was dead empty until we were on dessert. Not that we minded having the space to ourselves, but we did feel a bit like staff doing prep work.

Pre-Appetizer was mushroom broth with truffle oil and root vegetables. Nice, not super exciting. Came with their great bread - which was served with "hand churned butter" (would I be able to tell the difference?) and some really nice olive oil.

I had a marinated salmon appetizer. Very interesting - not smoked but somehow cured with a marinade. Much better than the Vancouver standby smoked salmon appetizer in my opinion, much more delicate and tender.

My main was braised lamb shoulder. Ridiculously tender/flavorful. I don't think I looked up while I had it in front of me. I wiped my plate with bread. Is that allowed in West? Who cares. It came with some sort of carrot puree, but that's not what I was after. Mmmmm... Meat juice... My wifes main was the risotto (sage/squash). She loved it, the rice was that perfect tender-but-still-together that's so hard to do at home.

Desserts were unbelievable. I had a (meyer?) lemon tart. It had slices of candied whole lemon in it. It was like someone squishing a whole lemon tree in your mouth every bite. It came with some lemon sorbet and cream - also really nice. My wife had some complicated configuration of chocolate (ice cream + tart). She looked like she was going to stab me with her fork when I asked for a bite - be careful gentlemen....

Wine was Alibi by Black Hills. I've enjoyed the Nota Bene (sometimes) and the Sequentia (always). This was nice - good BC version of white Bordeaux. It would have been better very cold, it came from the cellar a bit warm for my taste. Maybe it was just that wine.

Anyway - full dinner for two with a bottle of BC wine (~$60 wine). Tax/Tip etc. grand total of about $160. I'd sit in the kitchen for that deal.

Anyway - full dinner for two with a bottle of BC wine (~$60 wine).  Tax/Tip etc. grand total of about $160.  I'd sit in the kitchen for that deal.

I think they charge extra for that seat! :laugh:

Welcome to eGullet! Thanks for the repot!

A.

I had the perfect opportunity to try this, when a colleague arrived from Montreal, and mindful of the time zone difference, I made an early reservation.

for an amuse bouche, we were given a mushroom consumme with truffle oil (delicate, inhaled quickly), and began with crispy peking duck, followed by red khuri risotto (after the DOV dinner preview of this dish, I *had* to have a bowl), and for dessert, a crunchy warm tarte tatin with meyer lemon sorbet. Yum! this meal was accompanied by a bottle of jim barry shiraz suggested as a wine pairing to the braised lamb shoulder.

I had a bite of her shoulder, and it was rich and savoury. OK, too many glasses of wine.

while lingering for coffee, and watching the restaurant fill up around 8pm, we were given a chocolate truffle and a turkish delight. West is an elegant and superb food experience.

Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day consuming only things that are good for you. twofish@iyume.com

First post...

My wife and I tried the early dinner the other night.  Not the same menu as on the web - which I took to reflect them actually changing the menu with the "normal" one.

The restaurant was dead empty until we were on dessert.  Not that we minded having the space to ourselves, but we did feel a bit like staff doing prep work.

Pre-Appetizer was mushroom broth with truffle oil and root vegetables. .....

....Anyway - full dinner for two with a bottle of BC wine (~$60 wine).  Tax/Tip etc. grand total of about $160.  I'd sit in the kitchen for that deal.

Thanks for the review! After reading this, my sweety agreed to go for my big 3-0 (OMG) Birthday in a couple of weeks... I'm looking forward to it, but can anyone recommend a unique cocktail from their menu? I'm a spirits guy at heart and heard that their bartender is one of the best in the city.... (something masculine for me and feminine for my girl) :cool:

Cheers

Carlos