• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas Writers Among IACP Awards Finalists

Richard Kilgore

Finalists for the IACP 2005 Awards were announced tonight. Here are the Texas writers among the finalists.

Cookbook Awards Finalist

“The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos”

Author: Robb Walsh

Publisher: Broadway Books

Editor: Jennifer Josephy

Price: $17.95 U.S.

Bert Greene Journalism Awards Finalists

In the Newspaper Category:

Dai Huynh

"A Mountain of Hope"

Houston Chronicle

November 28, 2004

Robb Walsh

"Sex, Death and Oysters"

Houston Press

March 25, 2004

In the Essay Category

Kitty Crider

"Anything for Mother"

Austin American-Statesman

May 5, 2004

Very cool. I love Robb Walsh's cookbook. I haven't had a chance to try many recipes, but the documentation of the history is very good.

And the essay by Kitty Crider....omg, truly moving. I remember reading that at my desk at work and hoping my co-workers didn't bust me all red-eyed, wiping away tears :sad: . In fact, I went to re-read it today after seeing it mentioned here, and it's no longer posted on the Statesman's Web site (or, at least I couldn't find it). Does anyone know if the nominated articles / essays are available somewhere for review?

Many thanks for the links. All I can say about "Mountain of Hope" is . . . WOW! I will be rooting from the sidelines for the final judging.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 1 month later...

Congratulations to Texas' own Kitty Crider and Dai Huynh for their section as 2005 James Beard Journalism Award winners.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe