• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

brunch on sundays

bill70

You can also check out the Brunch on Sunday thread by clicking HERE!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Does anyone know a good place, not too expensive, for brunch on sunday's in the montclair area?

The Office in Ridgewood does a great Sunday brunch for $12.95, and I believe the Montclair location has a nearly identical brunch. They have omlettes, waffles, bagels, fruit, small pasta and carving stations, a few rotating hot dishes, and usually carrot cake, chocolate mousse, and cookies for dessert. The value can't be beat.

The Office in Ridgewood does a great Sunday brunch for $12.95, and I believe the Montclair location has a nearly identical brunch. They have omlettes, waffles, bagels, fruit, small pasta and carving stations, a few rotating hot dishes, and usually carrot cake, chocolate mousse, and cookies for dessert. The value can't be beat.

My wife and I were in Ridgewood a couple of Sundays ago, and checked in on the Office for their brunch. They have discontinued it, citing a lack of business. They are still open on Sundays, but with their regular menu.

We're trying the Glen Rock Inn for ther Sunday Brunch on Easter...I think it's $16.95 for the buffet, young kids are $6.95, and under 2 is free. I'll post about it ....

Edited by chefdavidrusso (log)

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

• 2 weeks later...
My wife and I were in Ridgewood a couple of Sundays ago, and checked in on the Office for their brunch.  They have discontinued it, citing a lack of business.  They are still open on Sundays, but with their regular menu.

We're trying the Glen Rock Inn for ther Sunday Brunch on Easter...I think it's $16.95 for the buffet, young kids are $6.95, and under 2 is free.  I'll post about it ....

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back...

Brunch at the GRI was passible but nothing outstanding. They had the standard buffet fare...the fruit salad was fresh and ripe, but the traditional "cantalope/honeydew/pineapple" variety. The green salad was, again, fresh looking but under-whelming. They had bagels, danish, muffins, and the like which were good if not obviously purchased from a mass producer. I think their hot entrees fared a little bit better, with two notable exceptions. They had scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes, bacon and sausage, and eggs benedict (that actally had decent hollandaise). They had lamb stew, which was pretty good, and a chicken dish which may have been marsala (?)...I can't really remember at this point.

The biggest dissapointments were the carved meats...they had lamb and fresh ham, both of which were overcooked to the point of inedibility. Forget juicy ham and medium-rare lamb....it was brown shoe leather lamb, and ham that I initially thought must have been turkey because of it's grey-ish beige coloring.

They came close to redeeming themselves with their quiche...I thought it was excellent. Ham and cheese, if I recall...good buttery crust, nice richness to the custard, and the filling was well-seasoned.

So basically, if your expectations aren't very high you won't be dissapointed. It worked for us because it was low-key and relaxed, and it didn't matter if my 17-month old was a little rowdy. But I would stick to lunch.....get the reuben.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami