• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cassoulet in Melbourne, well, Australia!

Friday night, The French Brasserie. Beans, confit duck leg, sliced pork belly, sausage. Quite yummy, but rather gluggy. Had to wash it down with loads of wine and water. The entire party agreed that TFB is well overrated. The food was good, but not 15/20 good, and the service wasn't great.

Saturday night, Gills Diner. Beans, confit duck leg, confit rabbit leg (even more moist than the duck), square chunk of pork belly with strips of crunchy crackling, sausage and some vegies. A bit lighter and more moist than the previous night's version. Richer than it looked (not too starchy but wonderfully fatty). Thoroughly delicious, and I was terribly sad when I found myself too full to finish it. Gills is seriously impressive. Service was spot-on, and everything we ate there was excellent. A+, will go again.

There Will Be Bloody Marys

Friday night, The French Brasserie.  Beans, confit duck leg, sliced pork belly, sausage.  Quite yummy, but rather gluggy.  Had to wash it down with loads of wine and water.  The entire party agreed that TFB is well overrated.  The food was good, but not 15/20 good, and the service wasn't great.

Saturday night, Gills Diner.  Beans, confit duck leg, confit rabbit leg (even more moist than the duck), square chunk of pork belly with strips of crunchy crackling, sausage and some vegies.  A bit lighter and more moist than the previous night's version.  Richer than it looked (not too starchy but wonderfully fatty).  Thoroughly delicious, and I was terribly sad when I found myself too full to finish it.  Gills is seriously impressive.  Service was spot-on, and everything we ate there was excellent.  A+, will go again.

Where are they?

The Brasserie at Crown, Melbourne.

About the only decent thing they did when I visited them. Special's board, not on the regular menu. When two of us ordered it, they had the good sense to serve it in one large tureen.

About all I can say that is positive about the place, based on one unbiased visit of course.

I think it is a permanent fixture of their "winter special" menu - from April to October.

I've been there quite a few times, and I like the place... especially the chips...

Saturday night, Gills Diner.  Beans, confit duck leg, confit rabbit leg (even more moist than the duck), square chunk of pork belly with strips of crunchy crackling, sausage and some vegies.  A bit lighter and more moist than the previous night's version.  Richer than it looked (not too starchy but wonderfully fatty).  Thoroughly delicious, and I was terribly sad when I found myself too full to finish it.  Gills is seriously impressive.  Service was spot-on, and everything we ate there was excellent.  A+, will go again.

I've heard quite a few good things about Gills. Thanks for that report. I'm really keen to give it a try.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"