• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving from Philadelphia

I *think* the name of the place I love is Caribbean Cuisine (just based off of this website, which seems to be useful if you've got a hankering for anything Jamaican.)

It's definitely at 60th and Baltimore, in an old trolley station.

That wouldn't be the building nestled inside the trolley loop at 61st and Baltimore, would it?

I remember when that place served barbecue. That was many years ago now. Wonder if it still smells as good?

Sorry for the late response! I think it IS the building in the trolley loop. It smells "Jamaican" now, for lack of a better descriptor. It's a good smell. :cool:

Being able to live in Rome is quite a windfall!! I promise you, after a week or two of the fabulous food available there, you will hardly miss anything here. The food in Rome is extraordinary!! Not to mention the atmosphere, steeped in history, and all the fabulous architecture! The fountains! I'm so jealous!!

What section will you be living in? How long are you staying? Actually, when we have been there for just a vacation stay, it is very difficult to appreciate the restaurants here. When we return, we just can't bear to eat at an Italian restaurant or Pizza place for months and months!!

Even the McDonald's in Rome is gorgeous! (World's largest McD's) Don't eat any of the food there, but stop at the cappuccion bar in front and sit in the marble archways... Ahhh....

Buon viaggio!!

If I were heading out of town for an extended period, I would definitely want to grab a Fisher's pretzel in the Terminal before I left. Thanks so much for your list; never even heard of Bell's, but Tim and I will be sure to check it out this week.

Please let us know when you're stopping by the restaurant so we can give you a proper buon viaggio!

Thanks, Greg. I'll definitely let y'all know when I'm coming in.

Definitely check out Bell's; there are all kinds of crazy Eastern European foods there that I've never seen. I'd love to see what Tim would do with, say, kvass. (And, frankly, to see if it could be turned into something potable or edible: my take is that hey, you can't say "kvass" without "ass". But then, I'm just an amateur.

Being able to live in Rome is quite a windfall!!  I promise you, after a week or two of the fabulous food available there, you will hardly miss anything here.  The food in Rome is extraordinary!!  Not to mention the atmosphere, steeped in history, and all the fabulous architecture!  The fountains!  I'm so jealous!! 

What section will you be living in?  How long are you staying?  Actually, when we have been there for just a vacation stay, it is very difficult to appreciate the restaurants here.  When we return, we just can't bear to eat at an Italian restaurant or Pizza place for months and months!!

Even the McDonald's in Rome is gorgeous!  (World's largest McD's) Don't eat any of the food there, but stop at the cappuccion bar in front and sit in the marble archways...  Ahhh....

Buon viaggio!!

Thanks. I'll be there for a year, and living in Monteverde Vecchio, just up the hill from Trastevere. I'll keep everybody posted: I've set up a blog, on which I intend to post about my experiences, culinary and otherwise. I'll link to it when the time is closer and I actually have some content on it.

I've actually been to the McD's in Rome, when I was living there about ten years ago. I had a beer and kept my homesick friend company. Me, I just liked drinking a beer in a Mickey D's.

If I were heading out of town for an extended period, I would definitely want to grab a Fisher's pretzel in the Terminal before I left. Thanks so much for your list; never even heard of Bell's, but Tim and I will be sure to check it out this week.

Please let us know when you're stopping by the restaurant so we can give you a proper buon viaggio!

Thanks, Greg. I'll definitely let y'all know when I'm coming in.

Definitely check out Bell's; there are all kinds of crazy Eastern European foods there that I've never seen. I'd love to see what Tim would do with, say, kvass. (And, frankly, to see if it could be turned into something potable or edible: my take is that hey, you can't say "kvass" without "ass". But then, I'm just an amateur.

OK, now there's an invitation you can't refuse. I have visions of Tim, wearing a lab coat, rubbing his hands together with glee and snickering over some odd ingredient he's about to mess around with for the first time. This could be very interesting...

Me, I just liked drinking a beer in a Mickey D's.

Oh Andrew - you're such a rogue. :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

i've wondered about that place for years.

It's been there for years? I just noticed it last year.

If he's referring to Caribbean Delight, it's been there at least four years.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 4 months later...

Hey, how about an update? (Warning: navel-gazing up ahead. Don't say I didn't warn ya.)

Executive summary: with only a couple of days left, I feel pretty good about covering most of my Philadelphia culinary bases.

Highlights included two dinners at Studiokitchen. Didn't get greedy and go for a third: my heart and mouth said yes! yes! but my wallet and waistline said no! no! I hit all of my fave BYOBs at least once, and I feel good about that. If each of the hoagies I ate was a wolf, I'd have assembled a mighty pack of slavering beasties by now: all Philadelphia would bow before my awesome power. And I've discovered some of Philly's unknown (to me, duh) ethnic gems, from Caribbean Feast to Zep's (why oh why didn't I go anywhere that starts with an A? Sigh.)

I missed a few: still never been to Fork, Balkan Express, or Fuji. And I didn't make it up to Trenton for a Delorenzo's pie. Too bad.

Over the last couple of days, I've been busy packing, and that combined with the brutal, punishing heat has conspired me to keep close to home. So... what've I eaten lately?

Sweet Lucy's: Okay, this isn't close to home. But I folded it into a trip to Franklin Mills. I really can't say anything about this place that I haven't before; it's just really really good. I did see a couple who were there with a printout of Holly's page in hand. The place was packed, even on a Sunday.

Hikaru: not the greatest sushi on the planet. But I can walk to it, and I was in the mood for something light on a hot evening.

Dark Horse: I really like the burgers there, but I was in the mood for fish and chips. I shoulda just walked the distance to Royal Tavern; these were sort of disappointing. Lots of breading that was sort of mushy and undercooked. Not so good. But then I got a water ice, and all was right with the world. That was from Rita's: kid-sized mango and lemon. I love that they have kid-sized water ice. It's dirt cheap ($1.20, I think) and a perfect size for filling most water-ice needs.

And lunch today was the tuna special hoagie from Chickie's. If this isn't the best tuna sandwich in the world, please tell me where I can find it. Because let me tell you, it rules the school.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

Drinks last night at Davio's for their summer happy hour special. Davio's is super-expensive for dinner, but their happy hour rules. Drinks are cheap and good, and the appetizers are tasty. Pizza, shrimp cocktail (with shrimp the size of kittens), nice olives and cheesesteak spring rolls could make for a dinner in themselves. And Gus the bartender is a cool guy.

Had intended to head to Pho Xe Lua for dinner, but they were closed, so instead we headed to Rangoon. I can't add much to this exhaustive account of the dinner, just say that I'm glad we ended up at Rangoon. I've never had a bad meal there, and I keep discovering new dishes on the menu.

And lunch today was the tuna special hoagie from Chickie's.  If this isn't the best tuna sandwich in the world, please tell me where I can find it.  Because let me tell you, it rules the school.

coincidentally enough, in rome there is a sandwich/panini shop just off barbarini on one of those streets named after a saint or cardinal i never heard of, called bar rinelli. and while their sandwich isn't a hoagie and doesn't have all the fixins and whatnot, the spicy tuna (what the hell is the name of those sandwiches that aren't panini?) is one of the greatest sandwiches i've ever tasted.

and while their sandwich isn't a hoagie and doesn't have all the fixins and whatnot, the spicy tuna (what the hell is the name of those sandwiches that aren't panini?)

mmm, "un sandwich"? I dunno... but I'll check out Bar Rinelli and report back.

Anyway, my last meal in Philly was a pastrami sandwich from Famous Fourth Street Deli, someplace I'd managed to avoid, despite living around the corner from it for five years. Which just shows I'm a loser-- or at least a loser for the last six months since it changed hands-- because it was a hell of a sandwich. Too much of a sandwich; especially after noshing on complimentary sauerkraut n' pickles and the potato "pancakes" (really more like tater tots or potato balls or somethin') I was only able to finish half.

So I packed the other half of the sandwich and took it on the plane with me: a pound of fatty meat and two Benadryls sent me off to dreamland as a 118 knot tailwind sped the plane over the sea to Italy.

Next stop: tripa alla Romana Club! All eGulleteers are welcome.

It's been fun, folks.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

Glad you arrived safely in Roma, Professore. Keep us informed about the Italian eats as you discover the gems of your new home.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Glad you arrived safely in Roma, Professore.  Keep us informed about the Italian eats as you discover the gems of your new home.

Dearest Sir. Please ignore your job as much as possible while you separate the tastiest local wheat from the chaff.

I have been studying the Rome threads for good restaurant ideas. Perhaps the forum will get a bit more activity now that "Il Papa di Cibo" is in da' house!

Evan

Edited by shacke (log)

Dough can sense fear.