• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm beginning to panic......

ejebud

HELP!!!! I have a cooking event Tomorrow for my Les Marmitons chapter and I had purchased a few items for the shopping list so I don't have to spend 3 hours in Wegman's doing the shopping. My spare fridge in the basement that is from the '50s, froze some things like 3 huge bags of spinach(being made into creamed spinach so I 'm not that worried about them) a Costco size tub of sour cream, a few qts of light cream and heavy cream, and 3 costco sized packages of mushrooms for the cream of mushroom soup. I'm primarily concerned about the dairy products. Has any one had experience with frozen dairy products?

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

It's been awhile since I froze heavily-fatted dairy, but I'm thinking you should be fine! Plenty of time for it to thaw, too!

Edited by Susan G (log)

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

My fridge freezes sour cream a lot. It can get sorta bizarre texturally if you use some of the bits while seperated, but I bet if you let it thaw then mix it back well it will be fine, and Sour Cream is cheap anyway. As for the test, you should definately be fine.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I froze some heavy cream while on vacation last month. When gently defrosted it was grainy, and when I used it to make a butterscotch sauce the sauce had a somewhat granular consistency. Tasted fine, though. This was NOT ultra-pasteurized; I have no idea whether that would make any difference.