• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ft. Myers area

=Mark

Will be headed down to Ft. Myers this weekend and was wondering if there were any places worth checking out. Prefer small ethnic or family run places.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

You might want to bring your own seafood if you're cooking any meals while there (we go every year to a beach house). Seafood, for some reason is unbelievably expensive there. It may just be me, but living so close to the gulf I expected similiar prices. I hope someone does have resturant advice as I'd like to know as well. Only thing I can think of is that place with the throwed rolls (back on the main drag, by the outlet mall, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.) and I can't even vouch for that. (throwed rolls do not connote good food to me.) have fun, hope they've rebuilt by now.

I have been to the Lambert's in Foley, Al. It was not my kind of place. I think because I was fighting 3 tour busses to get some food. Never again for me.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Sapore in Fort Myers is quite good -- on Summerlin near Winkler. Sasse's on Evans avenue is good. And, just written up in the New York Times -- don't miss Norman Love's chocolate factory & store near the airport. Curiously the Fort Myers News Press had an article about chocolate in NY while the NYT had an article about chocolate makers with Norman Love at the top of the list. The store also has coffees and pastries. Norman Love was the executive chef for the Ritz Carlton hotels before opening his chocolate factory. The chocolate is fantastic and the creations are artworks as well. PS If your staying on Sanibel, Riviera and La Dolce Vita are good. Timbers fish market has the freshest fish to sell.

Sapore in Fort Myers is quite good -- on Summerlin near Winkler. Sasse's on Evans avenue is good. And, just written up in the New York Times -- don't miss Norman Love's chocolate factory & store near the airport. Curiously the Fort Myers News Press had an article about chocolate in NY while the NYT had an article about chocolate makers with Norman Love at the top of the list. The store also has coffees and pastries. Norman Love was the executive chef for the Ritz Carlton hotels before opening his chocolate factory. The chocolate is fantastic and the creations are artworks as well. PS If your staying on Sanibel, Riviera and La Dolce Vita are good. Timbers fish market has the freshest fish to sell.