• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lodge Logic

D & R Sharpening

Reading all the cast iron posts has me wondering about Lodge's "Logic" line.

Does anyone here have any of these pieces, and if so, what are your opinions of them?

I'm curious as to a comparison between the newer "Logic" and the older "Original Finish" from someone who owns, and uses, both.

Thanks...

--Dave M.--

Reading all the cast iron posts has me wondering about Lodge's "Logic" line.

Does anyone here have any of these pieces, and if so, what are your opinions of them?

I'm curious as to a comparison between the newer "Logic" and the older "Original Finish" from someone who owns, and uses, both.

Thanks...

--Dave M.--

You may wish to read this article, written for The Daily Gullet about Lodge Logic, by our own Dave Scantland:

http://www.egullet.org/index.cgi?pg=ARTICLE-castiron

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Bought a logic grill pan and use it all the time. That stuff rocks. Easy clean up and no hassle.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Thanks for the replies and for the link Jason.

I've been using Lodge longer than I can recall and only two weeks ago I stumbled across Lodge Logic . Now I find out that it's been out for over two years!?!? :wacko:

Well, at least I know what I'm going to get next. :biggrin:

--Dave M.--

My nephew is of an age that he has the occasion to give wedding and housewarming gifts a few times a year. He has traditiontally bought the large chicken fryer, seasoned it, and packed other goodies inside. It is hugely popular. Thanks to Dave's article, he now buys the logic, goes through what is now a second seasoning, and it looks like he really worked at it. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I've used mine for two years or so, and they're great. I considered taking the time-tested "old fashioned" route and researched the best ways of seasoning one, but in the long run I got a Logic.

Think about it: the company makes cast iron cookware. That's pretty niche, and they're known for quality. If they're going to release a pre-seasoned Logic version, you can be sure they researched the heck out of it. No complaints from me - I'm glad I went with it and saved the time and effort for a cost of only a few bucks more.

One of the best parts is the cleanup. I drain the fat, then grab the handle with a silicone square and rest the tip of the skillet in the sink and spray the whole thing down with water while it's still fire-hot. The crud falls right off. Now toss it on the stove to cool and go eat your meal. When you're done, hit it with a paper towel and a light coat of oil and set it aside. Using this spray method has worked so well that I have had to clean it with kosher salt in months.

Nifty News & Decent Deals - where I'm always listing more kitchen stuff than average people want to see...

While not very scientific I'll detail my experience with lodge logic and normal.

I bought a skillet non seasoned. I followed the directions to season the skillet. I made corn bread in it. The corn bread stuck like crazy. Took me forever to get all the stuck corn bread out. After several months of use the skillet developed the nice black seasoning that everyone refers to. I made corn bread again. Perfect release. No sticking at all.

After a while I decided to get a skillet dedicated to corn bread. The reason was some times the corn bread would faintly taste like the last dish made before the corn bread. To avoid the whole seasoning problem I decided to get a lodge logic. The first day I had the pan I used it to make corn bread. Perfect release. The logic is definatly worth the extra money.

Not only is it worth the extra money, the extra money isn't worth thinking about. Although Logic is 50% more than standard finish, that 50% comes to all of $5 on a 12-inch skillet (through Amazon, where both are discounted. You couldn't pay me five bucks to season one of those.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Not only is it worth the extra money, the extra money isn't worth thinking about. Although Logic is 50% more than standard finish, that 50% comes to all of $5 on a 12-inch skillet (through Amazon, where both are discounted. You couldn't pay me five bucks to season one of those.

Absolutely correct. In order to season the raw cast iron I previously ran them through the oven three times for about three hours each treatment, which invovled rubbing them all over with bacon or bacon drippings. Then frying chicken in them once or twice before using them for anything that might stick. The Lodge Logic version is an absolute bargain.