• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More wine

Florida Jim

2003 Gessamí, Gramona:

A light-weight wine with a sort of flat, not sweet cream-soda flavor and some pretty floral and white fruit aromatics. More viscous than I expected and very easy to drink.

2002 Joël Taluau, St.-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil V.V.:

Red currant, leaf and mineral aromas; the same on the palate with excellent clarity, balance and integration, bright acidity and good length. There’s something almost lacy about this. Good now, better in a few years.

1999 Belle Pente, Pinot Noir Wahle Vnyd.:

A poor showing with green aromas and candied flavors distracting from what, I think, is a pretty concentrated and unmanipulated wine. Hold.

2000 Burgess, Cabernet Sauvignon:

Ripe, clean, supple, wine that tastes of the variety, has no overlay of oak, is balanced and interesting. And it costs $20. A good, reasonably priced California Cabernet – “and the walls came tumbling down!”

1999 Gilles Robin, Crozes-Hermitage Cuvee Alberic Bouvet:

Getting smoother as it ages but losing nothing of its authentic flavors and harmonious delivery. Not overly complex today (but enough to keep it interesting) yet delicious and a tremendous value.

1999 Texier, Côte-Rôtie V.V.:

Reference standard Côte-Rôtie with a complex but beguiling nose of fruit, iodine, fresh herbs and earth; wonderful concentration on the palate without heaviness, deep flavors, although the tannins are not absent they have resolved somewhat; immense length. As impressive a wine as appears anywhere in my cellar and one that also appears to have a very long life ahead of it. Sensational.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com