• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

France: Radis de Raifort

I saw at the market a bunch of radis de raifort. The vendor offering it is a producer who comes to sell from his small garden, and always has only a few examples of each thing he sells. He's very serious. There was one time I was in a hurry and I picked up a bunch of things quickly, and didn't have time for niceties, and it hurt his feelings. I make sure to look this vendor in the eye when I deal with him and let him know I appreciate his goods because this is what he does it for. He must make just enough to scrape by. He does this for the love of gardening and everything he sells is absolutely fresh.

gallery_15176_15_1106221454.jpg

I have never seen this vegetable, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough. "Raifort" translates to horseradish. I have never been able to find fresh horseradish at the market and none of my vendors want to grow it for me. They say there's no demand. When I got home I snatched up this lone bunch of what is a pungent radish. I snappped off the leaf and instantly it smelled of horseradish. But the radish itself tastes pretty normal. Tell me, is this "radis de raifort" something very common? Is there any classic use for this? What is there to do with it except eat it with butter and salt?

Lucy - I was just thinking of how I can't find raifort by the bottle in my Monoprix any more (I use it for a chili-catsup-tabasco-horseraddish dip). Thus I import it in my luggage. But maybe I'll look for it in my fresh air market or Hediard. I suppose it could be used for everything horseraddish is, eg with beef, pot au feu, etc.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I thought Alsace was the only region in France where horseradish had success... My grandfathers used to grow horseradish in their gardens and used to let it grow much bigger than the ones on your picture. It was mainly picked end of automn and beginning of winter, indeed.

The leaves were discarded but the root was grated and then immediately "creamed" and used with "pot au feu" (don't know how to translate that). It was also used in the "vinaigrette". It's very very strong and they always grated the root outside of the house, I remember. I have never tasted a radish that was as strong as horseradish :blink: ... the name is quite clear !

It was used as a replacement for mustard, really. Maybe the ones you've seen are "young" and have not developed a strong taste yet ??

It's surprising to find this on a market in France, I must say. Horseradish is way more popular in Germany (and in the UK, I thought) than in France (except Alsace).

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

It looks like there are a lot of different types in different shapes, sizes and colours, but basically it's all the same.

Radish is a summer classic in German or Austrian "beer gardens" as a snack with beer and bread, usually called "Radi".

Horseradish or Meerrettich (Kren in Austria) is a different thing and consumed with smoked fish or with boiled beef or Frankfurter/Wiener sausages, to give an idea. It's related with the Japanese Wasabi and it's also a base ingredient for some mustard-like condiments.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

This page (in French) shows what I was referring to. Does not look quite like what Lucy posted but it's close to what I had in mind. It also gives recipes and all....

It does not look like your plant could be young horseradish (I have never seen young horseradish :laugh:) ...

For some reason, and even though the tastes are quite similar, I believe wasabi has nothing to do with horseradish (I mean from the botanic point of view)... am I wrong ?

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

Horseradish and radish are related plants. I'm not a linguist, but if you did a little research the source of the name Radis de Raifort is probably because of that. Also because it's a radish with a strong horseradish scent in the leaves. But basically what you have in front of you is a radish. Wasabi, often called Japanese horseradish, as I understand it is not related.

Anyway, if the Radis de Raifort is mild and tender you can use it in a salad. Belgium endive would go well with it. So would tomatoes. You can also blanch them than sautee in a little butter.

Edited by chefzadi (log)

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

They are not horseradish (Armoracia spp) - I grow it and the root is yellower and a different shape - more like a parsnip The leaf form is different, especially the young leaves, which are almost like fern.

Could they be daikon or mooli? Radish (Raphanus satavius) family. Also called Chinese or Japanese radish.

Use like celeriac - grate mix with remoulade sauce, or in asian dishes

You can use the leaves like spinach, but they are a bit tough and slightly hairy, so better cooked.

Edited by jackal10 (log)