• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sheep's lights for haggis?

I'm venturing into the world of haggis making in honour of upcoming Robbie Burns Day. I know that sheep paunch is illegal in Quebec, but what about lights (lungs)? If anyone knows anywhere I can find such things, please chime in.

thanks,

Maeve

I spoke too soon! Though the wimps at Maison du Roti said no self-respecting butcher would sell lungs (thus pressing my panic button), the good folks at Alim-Pot (St Dominique and Roy) had a whole bunch. I was told they're popular with the Haitian community to stew with rice, apparently.

Maeve

I'm venturing into the world of haggis making in honour of upcoming Robbie Burns Day. I know that sheep paunch is illegal in Quebec [snip]

I don't think I have the stomach for it either... :laugh:

Will you be doing a write-up on it for your column, Maeve? If not, let us know how it turned out.

Offal in hand, I'm all set for making it this weekend (despite reading this morning that scientists have now found BSE-linked prions in organ meat other than brain/spinal cord). I won't be writing up the feat for Hour (timing was too tight, unfortunately, to make the appropriate pre-Burns Day deadline, though I talk a bit about haggis in this week's column) but I may be on CBC radio early Sunday morning. So thanks for asking, Carswell, I'll let you know how it goes... Still have to settle on a recipe.

as far as I've learnt, sheep lungs are above board in Canada, but stomach isn't. I think lungs are illegal in Japan, too. not sure what the rhyme or reason is, if tripe is legal. Possibly no one thought to look into lungs? Why are they illegal in the US?

Also, clotted cream is illegal in Quebec, despite all the raw milk cheese. I heard that this is because unpasteurized milk that's contaminated won't coagulate properly to make cheese, but since clotted cream doesn't have that de facto self-screening quality, it's banned. Pity.

I don't know what the law is in Canada, but it is against the law to sell lungs in the US.

Do you know why that is? It seems like there would be money in it for someone down the line.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks