• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chat and Interview with Derek Bulmer

RE: The Michelin Benelux red guide that covers Belguim, Netherlands and Luxenberg...um...error.

How does Michelin review a restaurant before it's open? Special tastings?

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

RE: The Michelin Benelux red guide that covers Belguim, Netherlands and Luxenberg...um...error.

How does Michelin review a restaurant before it's open? Special tastings?

John Talbott reports that he "heard an explanation - not an excuse mind you - there is no excuse - but the owners were known to the reviewer(s) and were reliable professionals." Is that a reasonable explanation. I'm sorry to put you on the spot for a problem outside the UK, but many can accept and even defend a certain conservatism for being late to award or take away a star. It would seem untenable to have developed a reputation for conservatism and then even list a restaurant that had not even opened months before the publication date. The explanation doesn't seem like a valid reason or a good excuse. That the guide is being recalled, seems to confirm that is was a mistake and perhaps a costly one.

Edit to add: According to the BBC, the restaurant's listing was discussed with the owner not only prior to publication, but before the restaurant opened. "Ostend Queen restaurant owner Fernand David said "We reached an agreement to appear in the 2005 edition of the Red Guide and to not have to wait a year unnecessarily," he told Le Soir."

Edited by Bux (log)

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I'm curious to know what determines the order in which hotels are listed on Via Michelin on-line.

Its not alpabetical, and its not according to how many roofs. Does the order indicate Michelin's opinion as to its own preferences?

The forum chat with Derek Bulmer is now finished. I would like to thank Derek for giving so generously of his time this past week and for his fascinating answers. Derek has been our first UK forum chat guest and I hope you all agree that the event has been a success. We are looking forward to welcoming more guests in the near future, so look out for announcements soon.

• 11 months later...
Derek, any chance of raising the Bib Gourmand level to say £26 ?? i have sometimes flattered myself that we might attain one, but reading the press release, i'm not in the game. :biggrin:

I'm sorry Basildog but I've no plans to raise the limit at the moment. When it becomes difficult to find restaurants serving the required quality at no more than £25 then I'll have to think again.

Remember, it's not necessary to serve only a menu at £25 or less. Many existing Bib Gourmands run these alongside a more expensive carte.

The press release mentions the Bib price is now £27 !!