• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Marlene Maple Leaves, Bacon & Pecans - A Canadian go

Marlene

Just about any gumbo you can do without okra, we just know better than to leave it out.  :raz: 

Looking forward to your turkey dinner pics.  :biggrin:

I can't get grits here, what makes you think I can get okra? (god is sometime merciful :biggrin: )

Since I already knew you weren't going to put OKRA in the gumbo . . . :raz::raz::laugh:

Turkey looked fasntastic! So glad you loved it. I agree with you, it's my new favorite way to do the big bird. :wub: Told you nothing better than that bacon staight off the bird -- cook's treat. :wink::rolleyes:

You could also just bake the butternut squash in long halves for about 15-20 minutes, then cut up and add to the casserole, do the rest as usual. That should take care of the time differential.

And Dave just about took the words right out of my mouth for the gumbo, so you're set there. :biggrin:

Somewhere I must have missed how you made the cornbread dressing??? :blink: Sage? thyme? sausage? onions? parsley? stock? pepper? Doused with gravy after serving?

All in all a beautiful Southern-style turkey Christmas dinner. :biggrin:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

And i'd have made bourbon balls if I'd had any bourbon!

Well, see...richere's where you went so horribly wrong, Sugar Pot. Us Southern gals always have bourbon.

In fact, I think I'll have some right now.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

And i'd have made bourbon balls if I'd had any bourbon!

l

Well, see...richere's where you went so horribly wrong, Sugar Pot. Us Southern gals always have bourbon.

In fact, I think I'll have some right now.

:rolleyes:

I'll work on it mama, I'll work on it. :rolleyes:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Somewhere I must have missed how you made the cornbread dressing???  :blink: Sage? thyme? sausage? onions? parsley? stock? pepper? Doused with gravy after serving?

All in all a beautiful Southern-style turkey Christmas dinner.  :biggrin:

Um, all of the above?

Marlene

Somewhere I must have missed how you made the cornbread dressing???  :blink: Sage? thyme? sausage? onions? parsley? stock? pepper? Doused with gravy after serving?

Um, all of the above?

Well, if you used all of the components and nobody liked it then I guess some folks just aren't made to like cornbread dressing. :wink: Some people just prefer the bread dressing -- which I also like very much. We always ate bread dressing the few years I lived up north, 'cause no one else wanted the cornbread dressing, they wouldn't even try it. C'est la vie . . . :biggrin:

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Um, all of the above?

Well, if you used all of the components and nobody liked it then I guess some folks just aren't made to like cornbread dressing. :wink: Some people just prefer the bread dressing -- which I also like very much. We always ate bread dressing the few years I lived up north, 'cause no one else wanted the cornbread dressing, they wouldn't even try it. C'est la vie . . . :biggrin:

Maybe, but I don't think that was it. I think I missed something somewhere. Oh well, the rest was perfect thanks to you, Dave and Brooks!

Marlene

Um, all of the above?

Maybe, but I don't think that was it. I think I missed something somewhere. Oh well, the rest was perfect thanks to you, Dave and Brooks!

Compliments to you, Marlene -- the "cookbooks" can only do so much, it is the cook that makes the meal. :biggrin:

Tomorrow, gumbo!

But first those lovely Belgian waffles . . . :wub:

Judith Love

I can't believe no one has commented on the fact you received a pizza stone as one of your gifts. You must have had a good laugh over that one.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Did you stuff the Turkey with cornbread dressing?

I prefer making it as a casserole, like the recipe I gave you. It is moist and doesn't have dry bits of cornbread.

I will have to give you a pictorial lesson sometime, if I can find the ingredients here.

I know, I will get my mother to bring them when she comes for the wedding in April. She won't mind bringing me a few more things. :rolleyes:

I prefer making it as a casserole, like the recipe I gave you. It is moist and doesn't have dry bits of cornbread.

I will have to give you a pictorial lesson sometime, if I can find the ingredients here.

I know, I will get my mother to bring them when she comes for the wedding in April. She won't mind bringing me a few more things. :rolleyes:

The dressing was baked in a skillet or casserole, as onions, celery, parsley were inserted in the cavity of the turkey. :wink:

Marlene, I think it's more a matter of not knowing how the dressing should look and feel before it goes into the oven. Cornbread should be broken up fairly well while drying to absorb the liquid and flavors fully. As not all cornbread absorbs the same at any given time due to differences in cornmeal, humidity, etc., some adjustments might be necessary a la minute.

And for us, personally, those little crispy bits around the edges combined with the moist dressing are to die for. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Judith Love

I can't believe no one has commented on the fact you received a pizza stone as one of your gifts.  You must have had a good laugh over that one.

For some reason, bloviatrix, I was thinking she was referring to her stone. :blink:

Marlene, did you get another pizza stone? :laugh: Maybe then you can get a peel instead. :wink:

Judith Love

I can't believe no one has commented on the fact you received a pizza stone as one of your gifts.  You must have had a good laugh over that one.

I thought it was hillarious! Well I have two ovens so I can make two different pizzas at once.

No, as Judith said I baked it as a casserole. Pictures would be most welcome!

The dressing was baked in a skillet or casserole, as onions, celery, parsley were inserted in the cavity of the turkey. :wink:

Marlene, I think it's more a matter of not knowing how the dressing should look and feel before it goes into the oven. Cornbread should be broken up fairly well while drying to absorb the liquid and flavors fully. As not all cornbread absorbs the same at any given time due to differences in cornmeal, humidity, etc., some adjustments might be necessary a la minute.

And for us, personally, those little crispy bits around the edges combined with the moist dressing are to die for. :rolleyes::biggrin:

I think that's right Judith. A lot of succesful cooking is knowing how things look. That's why this has been such an interesting week. I don't know how half of this stuff is supposed to look. And gumbo on Monday. Today I have to get through family Christmas dinner.

Marlene

morning all. It's Boxing Day for those of us in Canada and in the UK too I think. It's a statuatory holiday, which means that since Christmas and Boxing Day fall on a Sat and Sun this year, everyone has Monday and Tues off as well. Boxing day is also the biggest shopping day of the year. People will have been lining up at stores for hours waiting to get in to look for deals. Only the brave venture out today. :blink:

Fortunately, I have far too much cooking to do, so I'll send Don out instead :biggrin:

Today will be waffles when everyone wakes up. Lunch will of course be turkey sandwhiches and dinner, is Prime Rib. I'll be making Dave's potatoes up this morning in advance and a couple of nibbles as well.

I'll see you all in a while. :smile:

Marlene

<snip>

I think that's right Judith.  A lot of succesful cooking is knowing how things look.  That's why this has been such an interesting week.  I don't know how half of this stuff is supposed to look.  And gumbo on Monday.  Today I have to get through family Christmas dinner.

Well, I just skipped right over Sunday half-asleep this morning, didn't I? :blink::laugh: Maybe I should have slept in after my DH got that emergency call from work at 4:00AM.

And I've been looking forward to your prime rib dinner with Dave's molten mashers. :biggrin:

Judith Love

About this cornbread dressing thing....

I've been making cornbread dressing for Yankees for nigh onto some forty years. I always stuff the turkey with about half of the dressing (which, I'm sorry folks, but is MUCH better, having baked for a couple of hours in that turkey cavity with all of the turkey fat and juices seeping down through it; and as well, it also contains plenty of "aromatics" to flavor the turkey), and bake the other half in a separate casserole dish. We usually go through all of the stuffed dressing, and a few bites of the separately-baked dressing at the table. And then finish off the last of the unstuffed dressing during leftover sessions the next day.

And I've never had the comments that Marlene had.

Usually those that you can tell are not going to be big fans of cornbread dressing say a combination of things, such as:

"It's really good, but kinda, I don't know...weird."

Or, "The flavor is great but the texture is odd."

Or, "It tastes great, and I love it, and I'll have seconds, but I do think I prefer my mama's bread stuffing."

The fact that Marlene's crowd said it was "bland" tells me that there was something else going on other than that some folks are just not destined to be cornbread converts.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes, I'm not at all sure I made it right, and so I will be trying it again, just to see what I can do differently.

Ryan didn't roll out of bed until almost 11:30 today which meant I got behind again as I tried to juggle waffles, and other prep work. Pics will follow in a little while, but I want to tell you the waffles were damn near perfect. This may be my new favourite toy! I did put too much batter in, and it kinda oozed on down the side of the waffle maker, and I forgot to spray the grid, so they we're a little tougher to get out, but they still didn't stick. I used a waffle mix I got from WS a blueberry one (yes yes, I'll get to scratch batter in a few days, when I have just a bit more time on my hands to play with it :biggrin: ), but the waffles turned out very well. Crispy and light, my boys loved them.

I've made tortilla crisps, and finished setting the table. I'm working on the molten mashers now, the half shell is freezing for a few minutes, then I'll add the gravy and top them up. Oh yes, my stock has been simmering since this morning.

I'm going to prep the carrots in the slow cooker shortly so that all I have to do later is turn it on. (I must remember to do that. :biggrin: ) As soon as Don gets back with my supplies, I'll make a horsradish cream sauce. Somewhere in there, I'll have a shower and get dressed. My family arrives at 3 although it's been snowing all morning, and my brother has never been on time for anything in his life. :rolleyes:

As everyone is spending the night, it is possble I won't get dinner pics up until the morning, first thing. In the mean time, feel free to continue sharing gumbo, cornbread dressing and waffle techniques here. Please.

Marlene

Marlene, congratulations on everything!

It looks just wonderful (jewelry too), thank you for letting us share in you family's lovely holiday.

As a southerner, I feel I must come to the aid of cornbread dressing. In my family, dressing is not dressing without homemade stock. You should have seen the look on my grandmothers face when someone once suggested adding a can of Swanson's to her dressing. We take the giblets that come inside the turkey, some soup bones, parsley stalks, and lots of onion and celery and simmer, simmer, simmer while the turkey is in the oven. There's you stock. I think this might solve the "bland" critique.

The other suggestion I would offer is crumble the cornbread more so it can really absorb all those yummy juices.

I look forward to more to come. Happy Holidays!

Marlene...

I just want to comment upon how spectacularly well you are doing this. Even if Martha weren't spending the holidays at Camp Cupcake, she'd have some damn stiff competition.

Your description of Christmas in Canada makes me want to don a flannel shirt and break out the waffle iron and maple syrup myself.

And, also I want to thank you for your incredible generosity. It's obvious from reading this blog that you are extremely busy. But yet you find time to come here and share this warm and wonderful family time with us.

If it were me, I'd be dead on my feet, locked in a bathroom somewhere, lounging in a soothing tub of hot bubbly water, music blasting to drown out the noise of my family pounding on the door, and slugging down the last of the eggnog (extra bourbon please).

But here you are. Caring and sharing with us.

Thank you.

Friend.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Whew. I'm ready. At least I think I am. The roast goes into the oven at 3:15 and should take just under 4 hours at 9.5 lbs.

The waffles were a success:

gallery_6080_524_1104091103.jpg

I made tortilla crisps because my husband loves these. They're a mix of butter, parmesan cheese, garlic, onion, parsley, oregano, and sesame seeds.

Spread over 6 inch tortilla shells in a very thick layer

gallery_6080_524_1104091051.jpg

Cut them into triangles

gallery_6080_524_1104091074.jpg

and bake them for about 10 minutes. These are highly addictive.

gallery_6080_524_1104091125.jpg

The molten mashed potatoes are ready to go in the oven. Keeping in mind Dave's problems with loose potatoes, I kept my batch fairly firm. This allowed me to "mold the potato more into almost a shell, keeping a thick enough layer on the bottom, but leaving lots of room for gravy. Doing this, I only had to freeze the shells for about 15 minutes prior to putting the gravy in.

Buttered breadcrumbed muffin tins

gallery_6080_524_1104091152.jpg

Potato shells filled with gravy

gallery_6080_524_1104091174.jpg

Topped with more potato

gallery_6080_524_1104091191.jpg

They are in the freezer now, and I'll take them out about 20 minutes before I'm ready to bake them.

The table is set:

gallery_6080_524_1104091024.jpg

gallery_6080_524_1104091000.jpg

The horseradish sauce is made:

gallery_6080_524_1104091211.jpg

And the carrots are in the slow cooker which I will plug in about the same time as I put the roast on. I've got about 5 minutes before they arrive so I'll just use that time to breathe. slowly. Deep breaths. :biggrin:

See you after dinner sometime!

Marlene

My brother, is as usual, running late. He lives about an hour and a half away from me, and he has to stop and pick up my mom on the way. Since he is just now picking up my mom, (it's 3:40), that should put them here around 5:00.

I forgot that I when I want my brother here at 3:00, I need to tell him to be here by 2:00. Then he's on time for 3:00

Ah well, it gives me a chance to rest a minute, and have a nice calming drink.

:biggrin:

Marlene

What a boffo Boxing Day spread you've got happening, Marlene! And, hmmm, Good Girls get diamond bracelets. (Or maybe that's Bad Girls.)

I am thrilled, delighted and encouraged that your pastry was perfect. Another cooking basic mastered!

Bon appetit to you all.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Um, Maggie, I have it on good authority that you are the Queen of Pastry. :biggrin: Perhaps I can persuede you to post some pics of those tarts you made, and maybe you'll teach me how to "crimp" the edges.

But I was thrilled with the way mine turned out. And I made the whole thing in my KA.

(And I've heard it said, in fact I may have said it myself, that a girl can never have too many diamonds :biggrin: )

Marlene

Marlene...

I just want to comment upon how spectacularly well you are doing this.  Even if Martha weren't spending the holidays at Camp Cupcake, she'd have some damn stiff competition.

Your description of Christmas in Canada makes me want to don a flannel shirt and break out the waffle iron and maple syrup myself.

And, also I want to thank you for your incredible generosity.  It's obvious from reading this blog that you are extremely busy.  But yet you find time to come here and share this warm and wonderful family time with us.

If it were me, I'd be dead on my feet, locked in a bathroom somewhere, lounging in a soothing tub of hot bubbly water, music blasting to drown out the noise of my family pounding on the door, and slugging down the last of the eggnog (extra bourbon please).

But here you are.  Caring and sharing with us.

Thank you.

Friend.

Trust me, you'd need your flannel up here right now :biggrin: A bubble bath is starting to sound better and better all the time. I still have eggnog. And if my brother doesn't get here soon, he can finish the dinner prep.

Marlene