• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Marlene Maple Leaves, Bacon & Pecans - A Canadian go

Marlene

I am a politician. In fact I ran for public office last year! But no, that was the simple truth. I would not tell a lie in my blog.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

In my part of Louisiana, fried chicken is accompanied by dirty rice (aka rice dressing) as well as biscuits. Cream gravy and mashed potatoes, too. We loves us some starch!

Dirty rice is delicious! Though I'm a New Yorker, there's been some influence of Louisiana cuisine in my parents' household for as long as I can remember, because my father was in residence at LSU in 1967-68. That was a very different time. Anyway, my mother used to cook dirty rice in the days when she used to eat pig.

Michael aka "Pan"

Following up on the last part of the chicken experiement.  Next day cold chicken.  If, as Dean says, the ultimate test of fried chicken is how good it is the next day, then Brooks' recipe wins hands down.  No one except me would eat it, so I got one piece of each and stood over the kitchen sink as directed to eat it.

Brooks' chicken skin was still crisp and the chicken was nice and moist still.  Dave's chicken skin on the other hand, had turned somewhat soggy, and the chicken had dried out somewhat.

So if you want fried chicken for dinner and don't care about left overs, Dave's is the way to go, although I think that Brooks' will be more equal to Dave's if you spice the chicken before flouring.  On the other hand, if you want to make chicken for a picnic for your family or perhaps a special someone for a picnic for two, make Brooks.

I'm not really surprised by this. I've never been big on leftover deep-fried chicken, both for the reasons Marlene cited, and because I greatly prefer the pan-fried crust, both right out of the pan, and the next day. In fact, I'll come completely clean and admit that I'm not a fan of deep-fried chicken in general, unless you're cooking for a crowd. Pan-fried is my method of choice.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Following up on the last part of the chicken experiement.  Next day cold chicken.  If, as Dean says, the ultimate test of fried chicken is how good it is the next day, then Brooks' recipe wins hands down.  No one except me would eat it, so I got one piece of each and stood over the kitchen sink as directed to eat it.

Brooks' chicken skin was still crisp and the chicken was nice and moist still.  Dave's chicken skin on the other hand, had turned somewhat soggy, and the chicken had dried out somewhat.

So if you want fried chicken for dinner and don't care about left overs, Dave's is the way to go, although I think that Brooks' will be more equal to Dave's if you spice the chicken before flouring.   On the other hand, if you want to make chicken for a picnic for your family or perhaps a special someone for a picnic for two, make Brooks.

I'm not really surprised by this. I've never been big on leftover deep-fried chicken, both for the reasons Marlene cited, and because I greatly prefer the pan-fried crust, both right out of the pan, and the next day. In fact, I'll come completely clean and admit that I'm not a fan of deep-fried chicken in general, unless you're cooking for a crowd. Pan-fried is my method of choice.

Marlene? Can you say "Now you tell me!!!" :raz::laugh:

Cornbread looks just right. :biggrin: You can probably start breaking it up anytime now if you haven't already.

These meatballs sound taaaaasty.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Glad the food is going well, I'd have done more cooking today if I didn't have to deal with the deep CANADIAN cold front coming in...had to protect the plants, pick the satsuma's and the lemons, and the kumquats...ya'll couldn't have kept that stuff up there?? We're looking at SNOW (well, not yet but they're calling for some!)

honey, here..well that's NOT a good thing. but, the kids will enjoy, and I'll get more laundry. Now, what about that pecan pie? and the gumbo????

Edited by highchef (log)

Marlene, I just love :wub: what I'm learning here about fried chicken. Thx. Now, about the pie crust.... Mix the crust tonight but don't roll it yet...roll it in a ball, wrap it up and tuck it in the icebox...tomorrow's another day....

So if you want fried chicken for dinner and don't care about left overs, Dave's is the way to go, although I think that Brooks' will be more equal to Dave's if you spice the chicken before flouring.   On the other hand, if you want to make chicken for a picnic for your family or perhaps a special someone for a picnic for two, make Brooks.

Marlene? Can you say "Now you tell me!!!" :raz::laugh:

Cornbread looks just right. :biggrin: You can probably start breaking it up anytime now if you haven't already.

These meatballs sound taaaaasty.

No kidding. Men. :rolleyes: I did break up the cornbread, right after it cooled. Thanks!

Has Don noticed the pizza stone?

(my kids are screaming for a snow day; they didn't get one last year)

Of course he noticed. He notices everything. New dress, new kitchen gadget. He keeps telling me that as an accountant, he's a trained observer. :blink:

Glad the food is going well, I'd have done more cooking today if I didn't have to deal with the deep CANADIAN cold front coming in...had to protect the plants, pick the satsuma's and the lemons, and the kumquats...ya'll couldn't have kept that stuff up there?? We're looking at SNOW (well, not yet but they're calling for some!)

honey, here..well that's NOT a good thing. but, the kids will enjoy, and I'll get more laundry. Now, what about that pecan pie? and the gumbo????

We like to share with Ottawa. We're so close and all. :biggrin: The gumbo is Monday's experiment because I need to make stock from Saturday's turkey first.

The pie? I haven't made it yet.

Marlene, I just love :wub:  what I'm learning here about fried chicken. Thx.  Now, about the pie crust.... Mix the crust tonight but don't roll it yet...roll it in a ball, wrap it up and tuck it in the icebox...tomorrow's another day....

That's a good idea, I think I'll try that.

Marlene

tonight's dinner:

Tonkatsu:

gallery_6080_502_1103854494.jpg

Voila! A green vegetable. Sesame-ginger asparagus

gallery_6080_502_1103854466.jpg

gallery_6080_502_1103854516.jpg

A word about the sauce. I've been making a ketchup based sauce which we liked. Dave the Cook persuded me to try a new sauce and in keeping with experiment week, I agreed. In a word, wow.

This sauce is spicy and very different from the the sauce I usually make. It was an instant hit in the house. I had doubts when I saw the ingredients, but it was totally awesome.

Tonkatsu Sauce by Dave the Cook

1/4 C chopped, dried apple slices

1/4 C chopped onion

1/4 C minced fresh ginger

1 t vegetable oil

1/4 C raisins, soaked in mirin or dry sherry to cover

1/2 C mirin, or 1/4 C dry sherry plus 1/4 C white wine

1 C soy sauce

1. Saute the apple, onion and ginger in the oil until soft but not browned.

2. Add the mirin (or sherry-wine mixture) and reduce by half. (It will

look almost like syrup.)

3. Turn everything (don't forget the raisins) into a blender or food

processor. Add the soy sauce and blend until smooth.

edited to add: I just noticed that I misread the ingredients for this sauce when I made it. I used fresh minced garlic instead of onion. Of course, you'd really have to like garlic to use a 1/4 cup of garlic instead of onion, but we liked it!

:biggrin:

Marlene

Marlene,

If your pie turns out anything like mine, you are going to love it. I might not do it this way forever, but the maple syrup addition was right on time. Delicious. The only change I might want to make is to use a less refined grade of syrup, at least I think that I want to do that. I am going on the assumption that the lesser grades are more strongly flavored and more viscous as well-but of course I am basing that assumption on the various grades of cane syrup.

No photos. Both cameras have gone North to document Santa Claus's arrival in the Delta, where it is supposed to be 16F tonight-about as cold as it ever gets.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I'll let you know tomorrow Brooks. I made dough. It's in the fridge, chillin. I've a question about this "work it into a smooth ball" though. It was still pretty dry and crumbly. I added a bit of water but I didn't want to overwork it as everyone says, so eventually i kinda mashed it together and rolled it in Saran wrap. Is its supposed to be that crumbly?

Marlene

[...]The only change I might want to make is to use a less refined grade of syrup[...]

What grade of maple syrup did you use?

And Marlene, what grade will you be using?

Michael aka "Pan"

I'll be using a Grade B. If my dough works. :blink: Otherwise, I'll be buying a frozen pie crust tomorrow!

Marlene

I'll let you know tomorrow Brooks.  I made dough.  It's in the fridge, chillin.  I've a question about this "work it into a smooth ball" though.  It was still pretty dry and crumbly.  I added a bit of water but I didn't want to overwork it as everyone says, so eventually i kinda mashed it together and rolled it in Saran wrap.  Is its supposed to be that crumbly?

Yes, it should just barely stick together and you should still be able to see the lovely little hunks of butter. I roll is out all the way before I put it in the fridge, that wway I can just unwrap it and throw it gently into the pan. Martha and I both do this, although I suspect that I made more pie crusts than she has lately. :laugh:

And Pan, I bought a 1/2 gallon of #2 amber. All of it has gone on biscuits and pancakes up to this point. I may use more of it for baking after this. Really worked well.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

tonight's dinner:

A word about the sauce.  I've been making a ketchup based sauce which we liked.  Dave the Cook persuded me to try a new sauce and in keeping with experiment week, I agreed.  In a word,  wow.

This sauce is spicy and very different from the the sauce I usually make. It was an instant hit in the house.  I had doubts when I saw the ingredients, but it was totally awesome.

Tonkatsu Sauce by Dave the Cook

1/4 C chopped, dried apple slices

1/4 C chopped onion

1/4 C minced fresh ginger

1 t vegetable oil

1/4 C raisins, soaked in mirin or dry sherry to cover

1/2 C mirin, or 1/4 C dry sherry plus 1/4 C white wine

1 C soy sauce

1. Saute the apple, onion and ginger in the oil until soft but not browned.

2. Add the mirin (or sherry-wine mixture) and reduce by half. (It will

look almost like syrup.)

3. Turn everything (don't forget the raisins) into a blender or food

processor. Add the soy sauce and blend until smooth.

edited to add:  I just noticed that I misread the ingredients for this sauce when I made it.  I used fresh minced garlic instead of onion.   Of course, you'd really have to like garlic to use a 1/4 cup of garlic instead of onion, but we liked it!

:biggrin:

Ooooh dat sauce! :smile:

I made dough.  It's in the fridge, chillin.  I've a question about this "work it into a smooth ball" though.  It was still pretty dry and crumbly.  I added a bit of water but I didn't want to overwork it as everyone says, so eventually i kinda mashed it together and rolled it in Saran wrap.  Is its supposed to be that crumbly?

Good morning Marlene,

Yep, sounds good....now, take the dough out, give it half an hour to become workable, sprinkle your work area with a bit of flour, add a bit of flour to your rolling pin and start by flattening out the dough with the pin, then roll from the centre out on all directions, moving the flattened dough often to prevent sticking. Yes, you can add flour here and there. When you're done, brush off all the excess flour on the dough with a pastry brush before putting the crust in the pan. Voilà! Put it back in the icebox while you're preparing the filling. Your men will be soooo grateful! :smile:

Marlene,Your tonkatsu and what do you call them things?veggies?looked great :wink: enjoying you blog very much,thanks for letting us in and Merry Christmas to you and you family :biggrin:

Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

"

aboout"-Canadian pronunciation, eh?

Well, I was afraid that there was an entirely different reason that they called it "#2".

Aboout - It's special Canadian-southern speak. eh.

Canadian #2 Amber = American Grade B?

That would be about right. I re=checked the syrup I have and it's a Canada #1 Medium.

Ooooh dat sauce!  :smile:

Oh yeah. Even with the garlic substitution :biggrin:

Marlene

I made dough.  It's in the fridge, chillin.  I've a question about this "work it into a smooth ball" though.  It was still pretty dry and crumbly.  I added a bit of water but I didn't want to overwork it as everyone says, so eventually i kinda mashed it together and rolled it in Saran wrap.  Is its supposed to be that crumbly?

Good morning Marlene,

Yep, sounds good....now, take the dough out, give it half an hour to become workable, sprinkle your work area with a bit of flour, add a bit of flour to your rolling pin and start by flattening out the dough with the pin, then roll from the centre out on all directions, moving the flattened dough often to prevent sticking. Yes, you can add flour here and there. When you're done, brush off all the excess flour on the dough with a pastry brush before putting the crust in the pan. Voilà! Put it back in the icebox while you're preparing the filling. Your men will be soooo grateful! :smile:

Ok, the great pie crust experiement will begin this morning. :biggrin:

Marlene,Your tonkatsu and what do you call them things?veggies?looked great :wink: enjoying you blog very much,thanks for letting us in and Merry Christmas to you and you family :biggrin:

Dave s

Veggies. Gotta have em once a year or so. :rolleyes:

Good morning everyone. It's Christmas Eve. Perhaps even more than Christmas Day, this is my favourite day of the year. It's a busy day, but it's also a family day. Once the bustle of last minute shopping and wrapping is done, Christmas Eve is pure magic for me.

We'll sit in front of the tree with some mulled wine that Don will make for us and watch the lights sparkle. After dinner tonight, we'll dress and go to the 8: pm Christmas music service at the church, and then we'll take walk around the neighbourhood, boots crunching in the snow, to gaze at the Christmas lights. There is a neighbourhood here in Oakville which has long been considered the "rich enclave" Fairway hills. Every year, all the houses are decorated to the nines and cars line up for blocks to drive through and see. A few years ago, the neighbourhood association brought the Salvation Army to the gates of the community. While donations are not required most everyone gives something on their way out. Every house lines their driveways and sidewaks with candles in paper bags. They have a lighting ceremony at 6:00 p.m. It is so beautiful and just contributes to the magical effect of Christmas Eve.

This year, Ryan will spend Christmas Eve and morning with his father. We trade every year. So I'll take Ryan to his Dad's around noon, run around like a fool with the rest of the last minute shoppers and finish my wrapping.

I'll be making the pie this morning and the squash casserole. I'lll also prep the turkey for dinner tomorrow. Don will make breakfast. We have better peameal bacon so we may have that.

And we're in for a special treat for dinner because Don has agreed to make a stir fry. My husband makes the best stir fry on the planet!

I know many of you will be busy with your own preparations for Christmas today. I hope that each of you gets a moment to pause though and enjoy with me the magic that is Christmas Eve. :smile:

Marlene