• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi in Allendale, NJ

MikeyMike

I've been meaning to post a thread about this restaurant in Allendale for a while but never got around to it. BYOB (liquor store conveniently up the street) very good sushi in my opinion. I've had the Chirashi sushi, very good, Sushi for 2, also very good, Nabeyaki Udon, good and assorted rolls and tempura. Some of the freshest sushi I've had in NJ. I even got my girlfriend eating sushi now. Very friendly owner/chef. They say they don't have a website yet and I don't have a scanner so I can't scan in a menu.

Masa Sushi and Grill

81 West Allendale Ave

Allendale, NJ 07401

Tue-Thur 12:00-2:30

5:00 - 10:00

Fri & Sat 12:00 -2:30

5:00 - 10:30

Sunday 5:00-9:30

Closed Monday

Tel. 201-934-6616 Fax 201-934-6617

Cold Appetizers from $5-12

Hot Appetizers from $4-7

Sushi Rolls from $3.5 and up

Entrees $12 and up

Edited by MikeyMike (log)

I'm not quite sure but I believe they opened in March of 2004.

from the Allendale Chamber of Commerce

MASA Sushi & Grill

“Refined Japanese Cuisine in the heart of Allendale”

81 West Allendale Ave., Allendale, NJ 07401

Phone: 201-934-6616 / Fax: 201-934-6617

MasaSushiAndGrill.com

Owner Masahiro Abe invites you to join him for lunch and dinner. Open 6 days a week with daily specials.

I've been to both places in the last few months. Personally, I give the edge to Masa.

Flirt has an edgy feel, sort of NYC-ish--waitstaff in black, etc. Teeshirts with their logo for sale. Menu is much more limited. Basic rolls for my kids were overpriced. I did like their tower of tuna--tuna tartare on layers of nacho chips.

Masa's menu is much more expansive, and less expensive. Although the more original rolls were 8-12, the basic rolls(which my kids eat) were more affordable. They run about $2-3 less per basic roll and 4-6 less per "fancy roll" than Flirt. I particularily like their Cajun roll. We brought sake on one occasion which they heated up in small portions throughout the meal. On the other hand, my wife had tempura which was one of the worst examples of this dish we have ever had--soggy and tasteless. But you can't go wrong with the sushi here. Also, for what it is worth, there is a large Japanese contingent that eats here.

PS I am not related to MikeyMike :biggrin:

Edited by markymark (log)

I will have to give Masa another try. The first time I went, I was dissapointed in the sushi. However, it was when they first opened and possibly didn't have everything together yet.

FYI, Flirt recently expanded their menu and added some delicious new items.

Northern Bergen County off of Route 17 North past the malls.

I've never been to Flirt so I can't really be subjective as far as rating them, but I have eaten their food at a sushi demo at Williams and Sonoma at Woodcliff Lake, great tuna tower. Very tasty stuff plus they were rated "Good" by the NY Times . I have met the owner and he is actually a race enthusiast, for you car people like me.

Here is the link to their website http://www.flirtsushi.com/index2.html