• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Francisco, where do the locals eat?

chowfun

We were just at Grasshopper last night and they've gone seriously downhill. I live in the area so it's not an infrequent haunt and I was first there not long after they opened. I've watched their quality drop over the last year or so. The time before last night I was very disappointed in their supposedly sauteed (more like boiled) greens, soggy calamari, and my usual---the 5-spice pork ribs. Last night the pork ribs had passed the line from "meh" to inedible. Salty and with no five-spice flavor at all. The portions have gotten ridiculously small, even at the small plate cost. The only redeeming thing last night was the salad. Maybe it was just a pre-holiday slump, but I think it's going to be awhile before I venture into Grasshopper again.

We were just at Grasshopper last night and they've gone seriously downhill. I live in the area so it's not an infrequent haunt and I was first there not long after they opened. I've watched their quality drop over the last year or so. The time before last night I was very disappointed in their supposedly sauteed (more like boiled) greens, soggy calamari, and my usual---the 5-spice pork ribs. Last night the pork ribs had passed the line from "meh" to inedible. Salty and with no five-spice flavor at all. The portions have gotten ridiculously small, even at the small plate cost. The only redeeming thing last night was the salad. Maybe it was just a pre-holiday slump, but I think it's going to be awhile before I venture into Grasshopper again.

How terribly sad to hear this -- I only discovered it during the summer and I was dining alone, hoping to bring friends back as I was entranced by the ambience.

I hear there is an oyster house down the street (name completely escapes me) that is fabulous, doing the sorts of things that Grasshopper was doing.

Hest, being in the neighborhood, do you know which one I'm refering to? It is on a corner by the Bart station, across the street from the markets...

I hear there is an oyster house down the street (name completely escapes me) that is fabulous, doing the sorts of things that Grasshopper was doing.

You're probably thinking of Pearl Oyster Bar, which is right across College from Olivetto. I've heard good things about this place from friends, but haven't had a chance to try them yet. Last time I went by, they couldn't seat our large party, so we ended up all the way up College at Cuvae instead. It was actually quite good, despite the fact that I'm usually weary of restaurants that described their cusine as fusion.

Thought it worth a mention -- dropped by Belden Alley downtown, which I find irresistably appealing, and had an unplanned dinner at Plouf, the French mussels specialty place. Seemed the perfect formula for a chilly winter night in SF, the house specialty, a black crock full of steaming mussels in a white wine and garlic broth along with their just-right frites and a glass (or two) of Sancerre. The fact that all the help are French was a nice touch as well. I'm still a bit blissful, several hours later.

Great reminder, Randall! I must say that my most pleasant meals in the city have been entirely unplanned where we end up at Belden. It has happened more than once and I think if I plan a trip to Belden, it will not be nearly as delightful. I love the paella at the weird Spanish restaurant -- R45? (I never remember their name!)

Now I'm craving mussels though...

We have made reservations at Manka's and the Olema Inn for our two dinners up there.

Chow! please do report back on your dinner at Mankas Lodge...it's my most favorite place in the world to eat! I haven't been there for several years and I'm hoping it's just as perfect as it was the last time i was there. I'm dying to take my dh (of 6 yrs) there sometime this next year. I know he'd love it! And do have a wonderful time!

• 1 month later...

We are back and we had a wonderful time in your beautiful state. We saw elephant seals, tule elk, countless birds (love those pelicans), and salmon swimming upstream!

In Point Reyes we ate at the Olema Inn on xmas eve. The menu is very interesting featuring local and organic produce, cheeses and meats. The food was very good and we had a nice meal with one exception. I ordered stuffed squab. The stuffing was delicious, but when I cut into the bird it was way, way, way undercooked. Bloody in fact. I sent it back and received the exact same plate again (already a faux pas, I feel) and the squab was cooked on the side that I had cut into, but again bloody red to the bone on the other side. I sent it back for good. They did take it off the check, but I received no apology. To be fair it was xmas eve, they were extremely busy and our waiter looked as if he were about to have a nervous breakdown. If I'm up there again I would consider giving them another try.

We had the xmas feast at Manka's the next night. This was a $120 prix fixe feast. We went all out by bringing the kids along and my mom. We had two delicious bottles of wine recommended by our waiter one a chardonnay Pats and Hall from Carneros and a very good pinot noir from the Russian River valley, but I cant remember more about it. The service was friendly and perfect, seamless. Dont ask about the final bill. The food was excellent. Mostly local ingredients. The menu was funny, too. Crisped Tomales Bay Oyster in a little sea of local leeks (puree). Wild Inverness watercress soup (creamy bitter aromatic). "A gratin of Peter's potatoes and ham fashioned from Mr. Pasternak's pig laced with chanterelles foraged from the point crowned with crumbs (very good, very rich). A cloud of Inverness apples (whipped apple ice). Breast of Jim's Duck seared over almond wood nested in a hash of Peter's sweet potatoes and the Christmas Goose. This was so good. The duck was perfect. The hash had cubes of white sweet potatoes that were just barely cooked (al dente) and so sweet with crispy pieces of goose. "The local red hawk swoops down upon coastal quince and seasoned walnuts." They served this Cowgirl creamery cheese perfectly ripe and gooey. The nuts were great fresh and crunchy with just the right amount of carmelized spice sugar coating, the quince jelly and quince sauce the perfect sweet foil to the cheese. The dessert was homemade ginger ice cream with caramel sauce and a wedge of deep chocolate. The chocolate was like a piece of deep chocolate fudge, the ginger ice cream was so good with chunks of chewy candied ginger inside and the caramel a perfect complement. They also served very crumbly pecan cookies, marshmallows dipped in caramel and if that wasnt enough a box of homemade nut brittle to take home with you. The Inn and the dining room all dark wood were beautifully illuminated by candles, a big fireplace and low lighting. The decorations were gorgeous and fragrant. We left very happy. Luckily the dining room was extremely noisy and our kids were on good behavior so we all had a good time. I'll report on our SF adventures later, hopefully.

• 8 months later...

This is such a terrifically informative thread that I decided to bump it up in order for all you Bay Area locals to update the info!

I'll be in Berkeley next Thursday and staying for about a week. Will be checking out all the bakeries in SF that I need to visit (and, of course, going to all my favorites in the East Bay: egg bread at Nabalom's; morning buns at La Farine; levain at Acme; cinnamon bread at Bread Garden; currant scones at Cheese Board) so would appreciate recs for all your favorites.

And not just bakeries...list all the spots with the food that you currently crave!

Thanks all.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I'll be in Berkeley next Thursday and staying for about a week.  Will be checking out all the bakeries in SF that I need to visit.....

If Chinese bakery would interest you...

My favorite is "AA Bakery" on Stockton street (China Town). I have posted some pictures in this post:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1011406

Out of what they offer, the "egg tarts" (Cantonese: Dan Tart) are the best! Also, bread with shredded coconuts and cream (Cantonese: Lai Yau Bao).

Prices are very reasonable. Egg tarts ~$0.70 a piece I think. Lai Yau Bao is ~$0.60 a piece. The biggest issue is: hard to find parking. May be have someone in your party to drop you off to buy the bakery items, circle around to pick you up.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I'll be in Berkeley next Thursday and staying for about a week.  Will be checking out all the bakeries in SF that I need to visit (and, of course, going to all my favorites in the East Bay: egg bread at Nabalom's; morning buns at La Farine; levain at Acme; cinnamon bread at Bread Garden; currant scones at Cheese Board) so would appreciate recs for all your favorites.

If you can't make it to Acme over in the East Bay, there is also a full Acme Bakery and retail store at the SF Ferry Bldg. Two other great breads from them are the walnut wheat and buckwheat raisin bread. (But then, I like all their breads.)

If you really enjoy bakeries you should try to visit either or both of these in SF:

Bay Bread Boulangerie

2325 Pine St

San Francisco, CA 94115-2714

(415) 440-0356

(I've only been to this location, but there are others. Classic french tarts (sweet and savory), pastries, breads and cookies, including many flavors of macarons. This place is more for take out. The macarons themselves are worth a visit, and you may run into jgarner53 of egullet there...)

Tartine's in the Mission is also completely wonderful and has an attached cafe, inside and out, to immediately enjoy some of the treats with coffee, etc. Every item I've tried here has been just delicious.

edited to add: For something on the savory side, I recently enjoyed a great dinner at A16 in the Marina --rustic Italian cuisine from Campania. I'll probably start another thread on this. Here's a review from about a year ago: click

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'm a very lucky girl as my mom lives a block from the gourmet ghetto!

Thanks for listing the Bay Bread address, ludja, as I was planning on going in and saying hi to jgarner and seeing their hundreds of copper canneles molds (I just purchased my measly first dozen!)

The Chinese egg tarts are always a favorite... thanks, hzrt8w! Along the same lines, are there any Portuguese bakeries in town making pasteis de nata?

A16 sounds terrific too!

Look forward to hearing more!

Thanks again.

Edited by kitwilliams (log)

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

In San Francisco, I really enjoy the Noe Valley Bakery on 24th street and Arizmendi Bakery on 9th Avenue. Both have really outstanding breads.

If you like Indian food and bread, don't forget Breads of India, on Sacramento at Dwight, in Berkeley. Tiny place, great prices and great food.

Ate at A16 a while back, and everyone at the table was struck by the quality of the fantastic appetizers, salads, and sides. Definitely going to have to get back another time and try some of the meat and pasta dishes.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

seconding tartine, don't miss it! their gougere is my current favorite.

"The smell and taste of things remain poised a long time, like souls, ready to remind us...."

Marcel Proust