• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Something to consider

Florida Jim

As of today, Mutual Distributing Co. in Raleigh, NC, has released its newest line-up of wines imported from Argentina, Dolium. This winery was recently featured in the NY Times, Sunday Edition and will be featured in an upcoming issue of the Wine Spectator that covers the wines of Argentina. I got to taste through the line-up of wines that came into the market this morning and my impressions follow.

At the $6, wholesale price point, a rose of malbec, malbec, tempranillo and cabernet sauvignon are offered.

The rose was delicious and strongly flavored, the malbec was structured and tannic with good fruit, the tempranillo was quite forward and delicious, and, the cab. was solid and more nuanced than I would expect at this price. None of these wines showed any overt oak and all would drink well now save the malbec, which needs some decanter time or cellaring.

At the $9, wholesale price point, a syrah and sauvignon blanc are offered.

The sauvignon blanc was more round and fleshy than is my preference but it was varietally correct and good to go now. The syrah was truly remarkable with a structure that reminded me of Crozes-Hermitage and ripe fruit that was forward but not over-done. This was my pick as the best of the line-up and I immediately ordered quite a bit of it.

At the $16, wholesale price point was a reserve cab. and a reserve malbec. These were more polished examples of their respective varietals and each had finer tannins and more evident, but not overdone, oak treatment. They were also deeper flavored and clearly less rustic than the other bottlings.

All of these wines are 100% of its variety and at a quality level far in excess of its price point. And although each reported on the label that alcohol was either 14% or 14.5%, there was never any alcoholic heat noticeable and little if any raisining.

I highly recommend that you seek out these wines and try them – I was very impressed with the concentration and balance of these wines, at all price points, and I will be ordering quite a number of these by the case.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Thanks for the rec. I'll keep an eye out for them. The nice thing about wines at these prices is that even if there is bottle or palate variation, it's not a huge gamble or loss. The upside is great.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The nice thing about wines at these prices is that even if there is bottle or palate variation, it's not a huge gamble or loss. The upside is great.

True enough. I think you will be very pleased, indeed.

I have attended many tastings in my wine life; I have never walked away from one with more delight than this one. Quality and price - how often does that happen?

There is going to be a lot of Dolium in my cellar and, on the strength of the quality I tasted, I am planning to visit the winery later next year. I was, to put it gently, most impressed.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

To be at those price points they must have pretty big production. Any idea who is behind the winery?

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

It seems as if this is a Co. of Italian origen, although there is no more specific information on the site that I can find.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 8 months later...

For fans of Dolium, there is a limited edition Single Vineyard, also known as Dolium Nobile. If you can get your hands on one, dont hesitate. As far as I know most of this wine was exported to the US (California market), although I know of a couple of cases that landed in the UK.

Visit Argentina and try wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!

www.terroir.com.ar