• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheesecake calamity

In traveling around Texas and the South, I've noticed a disturbing trend in restaurants lately: pecan pie is being displaced by cheese cake - and New York cheese cake at that! I don't mind the addition (much), but I am dismayed that my favorite pie is becoming seasonal at best. While we're at it, got any tips on where to buy what is apparently becoming a semi-precious staple? I'll vote for Ellis Pecans in Ft. Worth.

OMG! Newsflash!

NY Cheesecake Slays Southern Pean Pie! :shock:

I don't eat out often enough to have noticed this trend. I guess that's why I'm glad I can make it at home anytime we can't live without it. No shortage of pecans here. :blink:

Oh, or was your "staple" the Pie sublime itself?

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

and a lot of that cheesecake is from the freezers at Walmart or sysco. blahh, bad.

My favorite pecans come from my uncles back yard in Odessa. Those babys are coddled and protected and he picks them for me, even better. Otherwise, my pecans come from home, Renfroe's just because.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I have both Cheesecake and Pie on my menu. the only exception is that the Cheesecake is Banana Puddin'. The sweet potato and pecan pie is actually Larry aka joie's recipe.

Ask him for it, it is the BEST!!!!

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

OMG! Newsflash!

NY Cheesecake Slays Southern Pean Pie! :shock:

I don't eat out often enough to have noticed this trend. I guess that's why I'm glad I can make it at home anytime we can't live without it. No shortage of pecans here. :blink:

Oh, or was your "staple" the Pie sublime itself?

Come to think of it you may be right, pecan pie should be a Southern staple, but I was referring to the king of kernels as the staple. Has anyone tried the recipe on the cover of Cooking Light this month?

I have to admit that I consider pecan pie to be a seasonal treat. I just don't crave it in the spring and summer months, too sweet, but from October - December I love it in all forms, current fave being a chocolate bourbon from the Jack Daniel's cookbook.

I noticed the recipe in this month's Cooking Light, which I just received yesterday. Looks fairly standard, with the exception of brown rice syrup instead of Karo. I wonder how that affects the flavor? Might have to investigate... :cool:

Of course, I have had a pecan pie cheesecake. Talk about rich!

Remember, the South's population ain't what it used to be, either. The mass migration from the North has created a situation where many of the traditional dishes are being lost. That's why it's up to us, the diners and cooks, to make sure that we preserve these traditions.

Although, there's never really anything wrong with a good piece of cheesecake, is there? :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

hershellipow,

You can order Pecan Pies and other pecan products from Priester's Pecans. They are right here up the road in Ft. Deposit, Alabama. Yes, I have noticed the switch to cheesecake. I do think it is because it is easy to serve and a lot less sweet than pie. I don't know why they call it New York cheesecake, though. You'd think it wouldn't go over big because of the reference to those d@m Yankees! J/K That has always baffled me. I guess it's a novelty thing. If they just said "Now Serving: Just Plain Cheesecake Jazzed Up With Your Choice of Cyro-Vaced Berry Topping or Flavorless Chocolate Sauce" It would not be as appealing. That is just what they're selling, though.

Of course, I have had a pecan pie cheesecake.  Talk about rich!

In New Orleans, Copeland's Cheescake Bistro, a copy of the Cheesecake Factory by the founder of the Popeye's chain, combines cheesecake with another regional favorite: cheesecake Banana's Foster. It's like two desserts in one. My wife and I split a piece once and felt sick for the rest of the evening.

I believe they also have a cheesecake with a praline perched on top.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I'll have to check with my mother and get back to you but she sends me a one pound bag of pecans every year from an outfit in south Georgia. There is nothing southern about cheesecake thank you. If you ever happen to stop in Jesup, GA - go by the Kiwi Restaurant. It's changed ownership so I can't vouch for the pies now, but as a child visiting my grandparents, they consistently had the most marvelous pecan pie, lemon meringue pie and key lime pie in the universe. And I've never heard of sweet potatoe pie being served as a dessert - only as a vegetable. My grandmother made a sweet potato casserole every thanksgiving and christmas with sweet potatoes, a dash of salt, orange rind, about a cup of orange juice, and then she sprinkled pecans and brown sugar all over the top. On top of that, she would drissle about a half a cup of melted butter and then a healthy dollop of bourbon. Yum.