• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farigoule Thyme Liqueur

Rien

Oh, and one more questions about "obscure" ingredients. Last night a friend brought a bottle of Provencal Farigoule Thyme liqueur by my house. We experimented with creating new drinks ... a thyme margarita (with lemon rather than lime ... refreshing, but not acidic enough when one expected a margarita), a Gin/Orange Juice/Thyme cocktail (good when very cold ... a little syrupy as it warmed), and long drinks with Pastis and cold water (Pastis being from Provence as well) and Thyme with Sparkling water and lemon. Looking forward to more experimentation and wondering if anyone else has played with the Farigoule? Are there any old school or new school cocktails that one can share?

The stuff is, by the way, great on its own.

rien

• 5 months later...

i am sitting here before my opened liquor cabinet and wondering if someone could tell me what to do with this bottle. my son gave it to me and it is labelled liqueur de provence and the name of the liquore is Farigoulette. according to the label the contents are: water, alcohol, "alcoolats des plantes" and maceration de thyme de provence. has anyone heard of it? i've tasted it and beh! any ideas what to do with it? (other than the sink).

Sounds like you're talking about this stuff here (here is another brand). As you have observed, it is a sweet thyme-flavored liqueur. I'd suggest using it in very small quantities in a cocktail. What do you think might go with Thyme?

You might try pairing herbal with herbal, something like 2 ounces of rye, 1 ounce of white vermouth and a teaspoon of farigoule liqueur (the 2 oz strong, 1 oz herbal wine, 1 teaspoon sweet liqueur is a great formula I got from Dave Wondrich).

Or... thyne goes well with lemon flavors. You might try making a gin sour and adding a dash of farigoule liqueur.

--

I find Farigoule makes for an excellent digestiv, but obviously that's a matter of personal taste.

For mixing, why not treat it like Yellow Chartreuse? Similar profile of sweetness and viscosity, just a different spin on herb flavors. A couple of Yellow Chartreuse drinks I like:

Bijou

1 ounce gin

1 ounce Chartreuse

1 ounce sweet vermouth

1 dash orange bitters

Stir well with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry and a squeeze of lemon peel.

Chartreuse Cocktail

3/4 oz bourbon

1/2 oz chartreuse

1/4 oz French vermouth

Stir with cracked ice; strain into chilled cocktail glass. Serve with maraschino cherry.

Other inspirations may follow from thisthread.

Christopher

Something lemony?

Limoncello, vodka and soda, topped with this and a sprig of thyme garnish?

How about a lemon-thyme gimlet?

While we're speaking of liqueurs from Provence, how about lavender liqueur? Any ideas?

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.