• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend in Saratoga

fatcatbrew

I will be travelling back to Saratoga in a few weeks.

Last year when I travelled there, Egullet recommended to me The Springwater Bistro. I had a large group and they gave us a very private table. Everyone had a great time and the food and wine were excellent. Thank you!!!

Are there any new restaurants that are worth seeking out ? The only other recommendations I have received is for a restaurant called Chez Sophie. Is this of the same calibar of Springwater Bistro? Any recommendations and information is greatly appreciated.

Here's one report from illustrious eGulleteer JPW

Mr & Mrs. JPW visit Chez Sophie on Jazz Fest weekend

"Docsconz" - one of my fellow NY forum hosts, lives in that general area and speaks highly of Chez Sophie. He says it's very good, very consistent and worth a visit.

By the way... if you're looking for a casual lunch or dinner at some point during the wekeend, the wood fired pizza at Bruno's (across from the race track) is very good.

Thanks, fatcat, for a timely post. We'll be in that area in a few weeks, also.

First night we're staying in Rhinebeck and dining at the Italian restaurant at CIA. Then on to Saratoga for a couple of nights. Planning on dinner at Chez Sophie one night -- hope to arrange a tasting menu w/wine pairings for my birthday. We're also looking for a casual place for dinner one night. My husband adores fried chicken, so I thought Hattie's would be a great choice, but I've since heard conflicting reports.

I will be travelling back to Saratoga in a few weeks.

Are there any new restaurants that are worth seeking out ?    The only other recommendations I have received is for a restaurant called Chez Sophie.    Is this of the same calibar of Springwater Bistro?    Any recommendations and information is greatly appreciated.

Chez Sophie, in my opinion, is significantly better than Springwater. I thought Springwater was a local restaurant trying to be a big city restaurant. I found the reverse at Chez Sophie. It is a big city caliber restaurant with a heartfelt desire to be a local restaurant.

My husband adores fried chicken, so I thought Hattie's would be a great choice, but I've since heard conflicting reports.

Hattie's fried chicken is worthy of the hype. Truthfully (and I have eaten there maybe 30 times) I am not sure anything else on the menu is all that worthwhile. But if your husband loves fried chicken, then by all means you should eat there.

I have heard great things over the years about Eartha's, but have never eaten there.

To me Chez Sophie and Springwater Bistro are the two best restaurants is Saratoga. Chez Sophie serves consistently excellent bistro fare. It emphasizes quality ingredients, the provenance of which is important. They do local as much as they can. If Slow Food gave awards in this region, it would definately have a snail of approval. Springwater is excellent as well, particularly with some more exotic fish dishes. Local provenance is important to them as well, but probably a little less so than Chez Sophie.

Another restaurant I have heard good things about, but haven't been to myself is Dine.

If you care for haute cuisine and wish to go a little further afield (about a 30 minute drive from Saratoga), you may wish to try The Inn at Erlowest on rte 9 in Lake George. Chef Matt Secich is making creative, world class cuisine with top-quality ingredients. It is a top-notch NYC meal at a fraction of the price. While he goes far afield for the ingredients he covets, he also values local provenance highly.

For a more casual meal in a fun setting, you might consider The Chameleon on the Lake on Saratoga Lake. The owner, Richard Rodriguez is a former partner in Springwater Bistro.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Chez Sophie, in my opinion, is significantly better than Springwater. I thought Springwater was a local restaurant trying to be a big city restaurant. I found the reverse at Chez Sophie. It is a big city caliber restaurant with a heartfelt desire to be a local restaurant.

I disagree as I believe both establishments are terrific. What makes them both special is that both owners/chefs are passionate about what they do and NEVER take short cuts.

Have you been to Springwater since David Britton took over?

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Another restaurant I have heard good things about, but haven't been to myself is Dine.

For a more casual meal in a fun setting, you might consider The Chameleon on the Lake on Saratoga Lake. The owner, Richard Rodriguez is a former partner in Springwater Bistro.

I heard (perhaps incorrectly) that Dine had gone very downhill. And I have not heard good things about Chameleon on the Lake (that doesn't mean my sources are correct).

Have you been to Springwater since David Britton took over?

Yep. And followed it the next night with dinner at Chez Sophie. I still dream about my meal at Chez Sophie, and although I liked my meal at Springwater I didn't think it was in the same category. I will go back (I am a part-time Saratoga resident, my folks live up there and I spend a ton of time there in the Spring and Summer, not so much in the winter) and see if I was wrong. But I will go back to Chez Sophie first.

To reiterate what I had earlier said about Chez Sophie - you should go if you have the chance. It will compare well to any "country" French restaurant you will find anywhere, including the French countryside.

Fried Chicken at Hattie's - quite good. Tastes even better due to the atmosphere.

Never tried Springwater. Perhaps next year.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

And I have not heard good things about Chameleon on the Lake (that doesn't mean my sources are correct).

Chameleon is a fun place with good food. despite the fact that the chef came from Chez Sophie, it not in that league (nor Springwater) but then the prices aren't either. The last time I was at Chez Sophie (last week) the food was as wonderful as ever, but I was impressed as to the level of the prices. IMO it is still eminently more than worth it, but it is not inexpensive.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Chameleon is a fun place with good food. despite the fact that the chef came from Chez Sophie, it not in that league (nor Springwater) but then the prices aren't either. The last time I was at Chez Sophie (last week) the food was as wonderful as ever, but I was impressed as to the level of the prices. IMO it is still eminently more than worth it, but it is not inexpensive.

You are right about Chez Sophie and Springwater. I live in NYC and was actually taken aback by the prices at Springwater. I will, the next time I'm in town (not soon enough) check out Chameleon. I might have to find new sources. :hmmm:

Speaking of Saratoga restaurants, I've heard that Paradiso has closed. Can anyone confirm?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Hattie's fried chicken is worthy of the hype.

:biggrin:. Now if the mac'n'cheese is any good, my guy will be in heaven.

The mac 'n cheese is way better than the average restaurant or diner serves, the cornbread and biscuits are very good and the fried chicken, as others have pointed out, is outstanding. I've had fried chicken there a couple dozen times and only once was it less than exceptional (but two other people at the table had it and theirs was fine - it was obviously just a fluke).

Skip the Jambalaya, gumbo etc. Stick with the chicken and the sides. I really like their cranberry coleslaw also. The collard greens are interesting - a bit on the sweet side with some extra seasoning that I couldn't identify. Not really my favored style for collards but for restaurant collards they weren't bad.

By the way.... Uncommon Grounds on Broadway does an excellent job with cappuccino's, latte's and coffee (at least they did when I tried them this past summer).

Speaking of Saratoga restaurants, I've heard that Paradiso has closed. Can anyone confirm?

I can't totally confirm this, but I just tried calling them and got a generic computer generated message that did not mention the restaurant - not a good sign. Paradiso is a restaurant that should have been better than it was. They had some superb dishes with a good location. Major downers were the prices - expensive and a terrible wine list.

Twitter - @docsconz

Confirmed that Paradiso is now closed. There is talk of them re-opening the original Villa Balsamo at the estate south of Saratoga near SPAC. Used to enjoy going there in the summer, only open then during track season. Will keep you posted. Agree wholeheartedly with Docsconz re: Chez Sophie & Springwater. Chameleon is worth a try. There's a newcomer on Caroline Street named Artisinal. Very ambitious menu (only have seen it from the street). Will check out soon. It's in the old location of Madame Jumel's/Hurricane Sam's.

Mark A. Bauman

There's a newcomer on Caroline Street named Artisinal. Very ambitious menu (only have seen it from the street). Will check out soon. It's in the old location of Madame Jumel's/Hurricane Sam's.

Do they serve cheese? :hmmm:

Twitter - @docsconz

If so, with great trepidation lest they infringe upon the Artisanal/Picholine empire and incur the wrath of Max McCalman. Which begs the question of what sort of copyright/trademark rights restaurants have over their names. Obviously, we've seen same-named restaurants in different locales, unrelated but with no apparent legal conflicts. Perhaps one remembers the ill-fated "Margaritiville Restaurant" on Broadway in Saratoga a few years back. When Jimmy Buffett's legal representatives got wind of the name, they had to change the name of the restaurant. (Not that you'd want to eat there anyway). Interesting piece a while back-not sure if it was on FoodTV or Travel Channel about all the legal wranglings over the naming of the various "Ray's, Original Ray's, etc." pizza establishments in NYC.

Mark A. Bauman

My wife's corporate Holiday Party is being held at Lillian's this year, we cannot attend due to previous commitments. I have not been to Lillian's in a few years, but it never seemed remarkable to me.

Has anything changed?

woodburner

I don't think so.

Twitter - @docsconz

Lillian's is a pleasant place with mediocre food. Convenient place to hold a meeting. Not a place that I would recommend visitors from out of town to dine at when there are other places locally-even in the same price range- that are better.

Mark A. Bauman

With all due respect to avoid hijacking this great Saratoga Eateries thread, I've heard about the "Bears" restaurant in that general vicinity, maybe Galoway/Schenectady County area.

A beef house situated in converted home, maybe.

Any takers or help?

woodburner

With all due respect to avoid hijacking this great Saratoga Eateries thread, I've heard about the "Bears" restaurant in that general vicinity, maybe Galoway/Schenectady County area.

A beef house situated in converted home, maybe.

Any takers or help?

woodburner

I believe the link below is the restaurant your referring too.

It's alway's been known for not being listed in the phone book.

Have heard good things but keep in mind that in that area if it is not half a cow and a baked potato it's not right.

http://albany.citysearch.com/profile/11358...__0_profile_2_1

Edited by robert40 (log)

Robert R

I live in NYC and was actually taken aback by the prices at Springwater.

How so? Entrees are priced from $18 to $25 and typically include a vegetable and starch.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer