• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help choosing a wine.

rabidscottsman

As long as the cherry glaze isn't too sweet, I'd go with a syrah or grenache based wine. Two grenache based wines I've had recently that would fit the bill are:

- 2002 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Garnacha ($8), Spain

- 2001 Cascabel Grenache et al ($15), Australia

Both are big fruity wines that should go well with the dish.

Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet Shiraz.

It sells for about $17 at our local Costco.

Decant it for two hours.

Enjoy! :biggrin:

Edit to add: Here's Penfolds idea as to which of their wines should be served with lamb.

Edited by Really Nice! (log)

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Ditto on the not too sweet. I make cherry pork in various forms, and it always works better with sour cherries.

As for wine, I would probably go with something Syrah-based from the Central Coast like Qupe. Or, a cooler climate zin from Mendocino.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

Mmmnn, the hallmark of the best Valpolicella from the classic hill zones is a pronounced flavour and slightly bitter aftertaste of black cherries. Count Serego Alighieri accentuates this further by ageing in small barriques made from cherry wood. Why not try a straight Valpolicella (not ripasso, which has dried fruit flavours and aromas) from one of the best producers: Allegrini, Quintarelli, Masi, Serego Alighieri, Tedeschi. If you're lucky, you might, just might find something under fifteen bucks that will be sensational with your cherry glazed rack of lamb (which sounds absolutely delicious).

MP

Count Serego Alighieri accentuates this further by ageing in small barriques made from cherry wood...

MP

Hey! I spent the week of my 40th birthday there! :laugh:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I'm thinking you'd want something to echo the cherry fruit but still have enough tannin to stand up to the lamb. Lamb is serious red meat that needs the tannin to balance the fattiness.

Perhaps a bigger Oregon Pinot Noir? Or a really well rounded Sangiovese might be delicious.

The Valipolicella suggestion is a good one. Or a not too peppery Zin.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Big Syrah like Amphora out of Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma Ca. Or even a Petite Syrah. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321