• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kathi Purvis Does Carolina Barbecue

Varmint

The Charlotte Oberver's Kathi Purvis (one of our fine eGullet members) just put a ton of miles on her car, searching out some of the best barbecue joints in the Carolinas. Her great article came out on September 30, but I somehow missed it until this weekend.

You can even buy your own Barbecue of the Carolinas poster that accompanied the article here. Just search for "barbecue".

Finally, I'd be remiss if I failed to mention that Kathi was recently awarded the Missouri Lifestyles Journalism Award from the Missouri School of Journalism. She placed first in food and nutrition reporting for a three-part series in 2003 called Nowhere to Shop, on the lack of supermarkets in low-income areas. This award is still often referred to by its old name, the "the Penny-Missouri."

Congratulations to Kathi!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I want to add my congratulations to the above comments from Varmint and Suzanne! As I compile my weekly SE Forum Digests each week, one of the online sources I read with enthusiasm and great pleasure is The Charlotte Observer! And, of course, it is that publication which features Kathleen Purvis ...

If you don't know some of the background on this writer, please look at this link and note with the same pleasure which I do that she believes in a motto quite similar to my own: "If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right."

Should you have some time available in your daily schedule, here are several of her most recent columns as well: right here

Again, Kathleen, many thanks for your contributions to the world of food journalism!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks, guys. And I had fun playing with Mayhaw Man and Dean at Southern Foodways this weekend.

Mayhaw Man and William Hurt: Separated at birth. Who knew?

But Suzanne, I have to be honest. Workload aside, the main reason I haven't posted is because I've been mulling the new format and debating what it means for a journalist.

It's a debatable point -- Dean has certainly debated me on it! -- but I feel like e-gullet's new role as an information-gathering source puts me in a spot where I have to be more cautious about posting freely. It feels like it's more of an information gathering entity now, and less like "a chat over the backyard fence."

Since it is a new media, standards are evolving along with it. But just like I can give interviews to competing newspapers but not write for them, I feel like I should only comment and weigh in as "Kathleen Purvis, food editor of the Charlotte Observer," not as "K. Purvis, private foodie citizen."

I'm certainly glad to do that, and to share expertise when I feel I have something to add, much the way Russ Parsons does. But I'll probably do less back and forth.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Great work Kathi and nice to see you get the recognition. I'll be sorry to see less of you here but we'll more than likely cross paths in Charlotte. Assuming the rain don't fall and the creek don't rise.... I'll be moving to Charlotte at the end of '05 and bringing my appetite for food and new experiences with me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
really great article Katie. brings back so many 'Q' memories. i can still "taste" Sweatman's even though its been several yrs since i've been.

thx again!!    :wub:

Thanks, J. It was fun, but I'm in no rush to do it again.

Thanks, guys. And I had fun playing with Mayhaw Man and Dean at Southern Foodways this weekend.

Mayhaw Man and William Hurt: Separated at birth. Who knew?

But Suzanne, I have to be honest. Workload aside, the main reason I haven't posted is because I've been mulling the new format and debating what it means for a journalist.

It's a debatable point -- Dean has certainly debated me on it! -- but I feel like e-gullet's new role as an information-gathering source puts me in a spot where I have to be more cautious about posting freely. It feels like it's more of an information gathering entity now, and less like "a chat over the backyard fence."

Since it is a new media, standards are evolving along with it. But just like I can give interviews to competing newspapers but not write for them, I feel like I should only comment and weigh in as "Kathleen Purvis, food editor of the Charlotte Observer," not as "K. Purvis, private foodie citizen."

I'm certainly glad to do that, and to share expertise when I feel I have something to add, much the way Russ Parsons does. But I'll probably do less back and forth.

Those are serious issues - and you'll need some time to think about them - and go over the rules with the people who pay your bills. By way of analogy - in the early days of financial chat boards (I was there in the late 80's) - all manner of financial professionals - from brokers - to mutual fund managers - to hedge fund guys - felt free to talk. We even had Mark Cuban around for a while :smile: . It was - like you say - talking over the backyard fence. Once things got more organized and professional on the boards - the professionals developed rules to avoid problems (particularly problems with the SEC). Your problems are less weighty (you won't risk going to jail by saying anything here) - but you have to find out what's acceptable or not in terms of your professional dealings. Robyn

Those are serious issues - and you'll need some time to think about them - and go over the rules with the people who pay your bills. By way of analogy - in the early days of financial chat boards (I was there in the late 80's) - all manner of financial professionals - from brokers - to mutual fund managers - to hedge fund guys - felt free to talk. We even had Mark Cuban around for a while :smile: . It was - like you say - talking over the backyard fence. Once things got more organized and professional on the boards - the professionals developed rules to avoid problems (particularly problems with the SEC). Your problems are less weighty (you won't risk going to jail by saying anything here) - but you have to find out what's acceptable or not in terms of your professional dealings. Robyn