• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tacomobiles in Philadelphia

Margaret Pilgrim

Any suggestions for great tacos in Philadelphia?  Near the airport, or just off 76 a plus, but not necessary.  :rolleyes:  I'm thinking about real ethnic stuff (cabeza, lengua, etc), not American fast food versions.

Just hit Washington Avenue off of Delaware Avenue once you get off I-95. Between 9th and 10th on Washington is Tacqueria Veracruzana. Or head down 10th Street from Washington, turn left on Wharton Street, left on Passyunk and left again onto Federal. Go one block and at the corner of 9th & Federal is La Lupe. Both of these are authentic tacquerias that will have the genuine ethnic article you are craving.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Man, and I was hoping to hear about some taco trucks I didn't know about.

Oh well.

Comment: Exits off I-95 may not refer to the street as Delaware Ave. I don't remember offhand. The other name is Columbus Blvd.

From I-95 South, you make a right onto Columbus, Washington is the 2nd light.

Can't recall I-95 North directions specifically.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Oh well.

Comment:  Exits off I-95 may not refer to the street as Delaware Ave.  I don't remember offhand.  The other name is Columbus Blvd.

Herb is correct. I always think of it as Delaware Avenue but I think the newer signs all say Columbus Boulevard.

Margaret - which way are you coming from on I-95? We could be far more specific if you could tell us where you're coming from. In either case, Washington Avenue only goes one direction from Delaware Avenue/Columbus Blvd. so the rest of the directions should be fine. Tacqueria Veracruzana is right by the Italian market and La Lupe is on the next corner over from Pat's/Geno's cheesesteaks, so if you know your way to either of those landmarks you should be fine.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie, we come from all points west, sometimes heading east on 76, sometimes north on 95, yesterday east on 3 into Broomall after joy-riding :blink: our way east on 322! Essentially, we fly into Philadelphia 3 or 4 times a year; we are through with our events around noon and have some 6 hours to get from the Denver/Reading area to the airport for our flight.

I should add that most of these flights take place on Sundays. Will these places be open then?

eGullet member #80.

Margaret:

Both Veracruzana and La Lupe are open on Sundays, and in fact are some of my favorite places for breakfast or brunch.

If you want to Mapquest it the exact addresses are:

Tacqueria la Veracruzana

908 Washington Avenue

La Lupe

1201 South 9th Street

More info and photos are available on Holly's website HERE

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Oh well.

Comment:   Exits off I-95 may not refer to the street as Delaware Ave.  I don't remember offhand.  The other name is Columbus Blvd.

There's a taco truck I've seen in recent weeks on Water Street right behind the PA Driver's License Center on Columbus Blvd. underneath I-95. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

If you're coming from I-95 North, I think the exit says Penns Landing/Columbus Blvd. Stay to the left as you get off the exit and turn left at the light onto Columbus Blvd. Turn left at the next light which is Washington Ave.

The exit on 95 South says Washington Ave. (and either Penns Landing or Columbus Blvd. - I can never remember even though it's my exit home :wacko: )

Edited by Sfuffy (log)

I just had a taco from this truck on the 5400 block of rising sun ave.The truck's name is " science center express".there are two hand lettered signs one for beef tacos for two bucks and buck fifty for pork.The beef was good but the pord was amazing,chunks of stewed pork shoulder .I thought it was a hot dog truck till I noticed ten mecican guys in line

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

• 8 months later...

Listen up, frequent flyers. I just booked a ticket from SFO to Philly and was told that meals would be available on a 'for sale' basis from now on. No longer will you get 'mystery seagull' for free.

So copy out these good addresses. Many thanks, everyone who posted here.

eGullet member #80.