• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cranberries

msphoebe

7 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

That linked picture is pretty, but I'm skeptical that it could be produced from the recipe that follows. There's no leavening except eggs and no liquid except what little comes from the butter. Popovers work with only eggs for leavening, but they have milk to make that happen. Plus popovers and Yorkshire pudding cook initially in a much hotter oven than called for here. 

Do you use self-rising flour when you make this recipe? I don't mean to be confrontational, I'm just curious if the recipe as written works. :) I might learn something here.

Also, the very first comment mentions adding orange zest. I make muffins with cranberries and orange zest, an idea I got from Betty Crocker, and that combination is more than the sum of the parts.

I've made the recipe several times and I actually got it from my friend who makes these every year.

So, yes the recipe does work just fine.  I use regular flour.  Try it, I'm sure it will work for you.

Incidentally, this recipe has been on the bags of cranberries forever. I've not used the zest, however I'm glad you pointed that out, I must have missed it....I agree that it does add a lot to a recipe.

• Like 1

Food stylist at work. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog