• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cranberry Wine

Megaroo

Since Canadian Thanksgiving is coming up and I live in a cranberry producing area, I keep seeing cranberry wine advertised everywhere... so I thought I might pick some up for Thanksgiving (should go well with turkey :wink: , you think?).

I'm the one who always brings the wine for Thanksgiving, so I don't want to mess up. My family usually likes to drink merlot or shiraz (yes, with turkey dinner :shock: ) so I'm not sure how a cranberry wine would go over. I'm not sure if it's a grape/cranberry blend or just straight cranberries, so I'm not much help in that area...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

- Meg

If you can taste before you buy, DO.

We used to get fruit wines from a winery in Southern Vermont, ranging from wines clearly meant for dessert (Maple-Cranberry) on up through semi-dry all the way to dry table wines (Blueberry-Apple; Northern Spy). We actually confounded some guests with the table wine, it was that reasonable.

If you can't taste first, just bring one bottle for curiosity's sake (maybe it will be loved, and you can get more next year) along with the usual shiraz (I much prefer shiraz/syrah to merlot, and think it goes fine with turkey. After all, turkey needs all the help it can get. :wink: )

No, and you can't make me.

I ended up popping over to the winery yesterday afternoon and did a couple of tastings. Surprisingly, I found it to be very yummy! (And I'm VERY picky about what I like). It was light and refreshing, lightly sweet, but also dry. I thought it was fabulous.

We also ended up picking a bottle of iced apple wine as well that was spectacular. Like an ice wine, but a cleaner, crisper, less sweet taste. I think I may have found a new favorite fruit wine!

Now before I get bashed on here - I know that it's fruit wine and not the true traditional grape wine, but if you're wanting to try something new and different, here's their website: The Fort Wine Company I thought it was a nice change of pace for a special dinner (I usually use a bottle of wine on my turkey while it's cooking - I might try a cranberry wine for Christmas!)

- Meg

I ended up popping over to the winery yesterday afternoon and did a couple of tastings.  Surprisingly, I found it to be very yummy! (And I'm VERY picky about what I like).  It was light and refreshing, lightly sweet, but also dry.  I thought it was fabulous.

We also ended up picking a bottle of iced apple wine as well that was spectacular.  Like an ice wine, but a cleaner, crisper, less sweet taste.  I think I may have found a new favorite fruit wine!

Now before I get bashed on here - I know that it's fruit wine and not the true traditional grape wine, but if you're wanting to try something new and different, here's their website: The Fort Wine Company  I thought it was a nice change of pace for a special dinner (I usually use a bottle of wine on my turkey while it's cooking - I might try a cranberry wine for Christmas!)

- Meg

The answer is still no.