• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SEA] Upcoming events at Dahlia

So, after not one but two disastrous (ok, maybe "lackluster and really not worth the price") experiences with cookbook dinners at Dahlia Lounge, I swore off ever participating in big-group events there.

And then I get this announcement of new events, including a Julia Child tribute meal, co-cheffed by Tom Douglas and Thierry Rautureau of Rover's. And the Seghesio dinner sounds pretty good, too...

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

So, after not one but two disastrous (ok, maybe "lackluster and really not worth the price") experiences with cookbook dinners at Dahlia Lounge, I swore off ever participating in big-group events there.

And then I get this announcement of new events, including a Julia Child tribute meal, co-cheffed by Tom Douglas and Thierry Rautureau of Rover's. And the Seghesio dinner sounds pretty good, too...

The Julia dinner does sound interesting, esp with Thierry Rautureau cooking. Any interest in an eG table?

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

hubby and I are discussing our budgets for the Julia dinner. Anita, can you tell me more about your past experiences? Is there a post about them? I've always really enjoyed meals at TD restaurants but haven't been to an "event" before.

hubby and I are discussing our budgets for the Julia dinner. Anita, can you tell me more about your past experiences? Is there a post about them? I've always really enjoyed meals at TD restaurants but haven't been to an "event" before.

I don't think I ever did post.

The food felt sloppy, the big-group seating seemed like an awkward wedding reception -- at one dinner we ended up at a table with two of our friends plus 6 non-foodie, antisocial septugenerians -- and the service was of the drop-and-run variety.

We originally booked our last "private dining" meal as part of a series; We called after the first dinner and asked if there was a way we could cancel our attendence at the other two. They asked why, we told them (gently) that it wasn't what we expected, in terms of quality and/or company, and they very generously offered us a full refund -- including for the dinner that we'd already attended. They were so gracious about the whole thing that I was reluctant to publicly complain....

~A

[edited to explain why I never posted, and for some sloppy grammar]

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Maybe we'd be better off holding our own Julia Tribute dinner/cooking day? I don't have a kitchen suitable for hosting it, but would be an eager participant.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Paul and I are definitely going to the Seghesio dinner (it's our favorite winery) and the Julia dinner sounds great too. If anyone is interested in the Seghesio dinner, I'll make a reservation for an eGullet table........

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the dinner and really enjoyed it. It was all of Etta's and there was a long waiting list supposedly. I have been to a couple other event dinners at TD restaurants and not been disappointed. The food was quite good, the wine pored freely, and TD and Thierry made brief but charming appearances. they seemed to be having a good time. I don't think you get the best possible food the restaurant has to offer at event dinner, but I usually enjoy hearing about the pairings or whatever. there wasn't much talking/presentation at the Julia dinner, but we were seated at a table with some talkers, so it was fun for an evening.

It made me want to go back to Rover's.

We had a lovely time at the Seghesio dinner tonight. The food was fab and the wine pairings were great. Tom D. was there off and on throughout the night (he explained early on that he had many thousands over at the Paramount to feed).

Forgive my riffing and lack of vintages here here, as I didn't take a menu:

(someone else who was there can come in and tell me I got all the items in the wrong sections!)

First: rabbit agnolotti with fennel and braised pear, brown butter sauce

-arneis (piemontese white varietal)

Second: braised pork shoulder with mild greens and roasted cipollini onions

- sangiovese

Third: smokey slices of beef with trofie pasta

- barbera

Fourth: braised lamb necks, rapini, polenta

- Old Vines Zinfandel

- Sonoma Zinfandel

dessert: molasses and fig ice cream with fig molasses and fresh green figs

(Tom brought us over a bit of Macallan scotch to try with it :) )

Yum. They fully redeemed themselves. :wub:

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

• 3 months later...