• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pumpkin

mrbigjas

I think you are the reconnaissance mission. Report back.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Other than the utter cuteness of the name of the restaurant (its the Chef/owner's pet name for his wife. Everyone say awwwwww....) there's not been much reported yet either in the local media or from anyone I know.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

well, we did go over last night. several of the dishes were recognizable from little fish, and it turned out we knew the waitress. i started with an excellent chicken liver toscana, which is a huge serving of a spicy, tangy chicken liver pate/mousse on toast (i took the remainder home for mixing with eggs tomorrrow), served with pickled fennel and a salad. the mrs had seared scallops in a gazpacho sauce, by which apparently they meant gazpacho. the scallops were seared but otherwise barely cooked, so be warned. they weren't mushy, but were pretty rare. we continued with an excellent fish stew of walu and monkfish, made with ouzo, topped with basil and served with croutons and rouille. sort of a bouillabaise, sort of not but very tasty. the mrs had a whole grilled dorade, which was good.

we didn't have dessert, because we were stuffed by this time. the decor is cute, the room is loud. i'm happy to see curtains by the front door, for when winter weather comes. one odd note: the bathroom has a sign on it that says 'handicapped accessible bathroom' and it has the bars and sink knobs and things in it--but it's up a step from the dining room. i don't really see how that's handicapped-accessible, but then again i'm not handicapped. but it may make a difference to some of you.

overall, very nice little place. i hope it thrives.

• 2 months later...

Took some friends to Pumpkin as part of a road trip on Saturday (I'm from DC, but am always singing the praises of Philly, especially in regards to the BYOBs). Nice place-- everyone was quite happy with dinner.

A gratin of kielbasa (when's the last time you saw that on a menu!), potato and raclette was delicious-- the perfect thing to start with after walking over there in the cold. I sampled a bit of a scallop salad as well. Described as 'scallops with beet vinaigrette', it was actually a salad of spinach and diced beets with a vinaigrette and some very fresh seared scallops on top. For entrees, a couple of us including myself had the whole Branzino, which was grilled perfectly. The veal and pork chops (over French lentils) I tasted were nicely tender and flavorful-- they're obviously getting some high quality meat and seafood here.

I'm not sure whether they have a pastry chef yet (I doubt it, as there was only three dessert choices), but we tried a citrus shortbread. Essentially a thick slab of pate sucree baked in a tartlet shell, this took some serious chiseling to break off a bite. Despite the difficulty in eating it, it was fairly tasty, especially with the blood orange sorbet and lemon curd on top. I think the other two desserts were a Vahlrona pot de creme and a blackberry and walnut linzertorte.

A frend brought along an unusual wine-- a Petit Verdot from Virginia (AmRhein). It was surprisingly good.

Chris Sadler

The veal and pork chops (over French lentils) I tasted were nicely tender and flavorful-- they're obviously getting some high quality meat and seafood here.

You know, the grilled pork loin was the one dish I had at Pumpkin that really disappointed me (though the lentils were awe!some): I thought it was kinda bland. But then, I tend to think that the loin and chop of the pig are the blandest parts, so maybe it was just me.

But that disappointment aside, it's a neat little place. Gotta head back there soon. That gratin sounds cholesterolerrific, and I can't wait to try it...

• 1 month later...
Best of all, though, is the chocolate pot de creme. The dark pudding is so stunningly creamy and bittersweet rich, that the whole evening suddenly slows for a moment as each spoonful takes its time to melt.

How about that. Well, they definitely deserve the good press; good for them!

Oh well. Now we'll never get in. Holly and I tried valiantly to have dinner there last week and they were booked solid already. And it sounded really busy when I called. It was a cold night and we were going to stay close by.

We did end up having a lovely dinner at Rx instead though. Definitely worth trekking into the Hinterlands of University City for such a great and graciously presented meal. The Gnocchi and the Short Ribs were real standouts. A diver scallop amuse was a lovely surprise too.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

i made short ribs tonight; you should have come over.

we called last night hoping that because of the storm we'd be able to get in. no such luck. i spoke to a neighbor of our today and he said they were in there after 10 and people were still coming in waiting for a table.

really i'm quite happy about that, even if it means i can't go there that often. i've been living basically on the block for 12 years now, and pumpkin's success is really a validation that this is a great neighborhood. i couldn't be happier for them.

i made short ribs tonight; you should have come over.

we called last night hoping that because of the storm we'd be able to get in.  no such luck.  i spoke to a neighbor of our today and he said they were in there after 10 and people were still coming in waiting for a table.

really i'm quite happy about that, even if it means i can't go there that often.  i've been living basically on the block for 12 years now, and pumpkin's success is really a validation that this is a great neighborhood.  i couldn't be happier for them.

Thanks sweetie! That's really nice, but I was off in Elkins Park watching the playoff game and cheering on the Iggles. Some other time perhaps? I'll always bring the wine... :biggrin:

'Tis true that Graduate Hospital neighborhood is no longer the urban frontier that it once was. And having a great restaurant right in the 'hood is always welcome. Not to mention how great the upswing is for property values and such. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

But unfortunately, at one time in the past it was.

Reference "A Prayer for the City", by Buzz Bissinger.

Outstanding read for fans of urban history and development.

Uh, to keep this on-topic, I really got stop to by the place soon.

Of course, I could say that about Melograno, Matyson, Rx, Marigold...

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 months later...

Had dinner here last night. Wow -- probably the smallest restaurant I've ever been in, even compared to Caffe Casta Diva and Melograno. But it's cute. I wish I had come with a larger party so I could have sat at the table with the pumpkin-colored couch in the alcove. Small menu, too, which unfortunately means I can't bring some of my pickier friends here (I think there were five apps and five or six entrees). I didn't have a reservation, but I went early (6:30) and was promptly seated.

Started with the endive and gruyere gratin and the grilled romaine salad. The endives had been braised until golden and had a nice thick layer of gruyere melted on top. Tender, slightly sweet, slightly bitter, warm, melty goodness. The grilled romaine I want to try making at home when I finally buy a grill pan and/or an outdoor grill -- a whole heart of romaine, lightly touched by the grill, drizzled with a "parmigiano vinagrette" (Caesar dressing, essentially). The other apps I can remember were mussels, scallops, and grilled quail. Prices for apps: $7-$10.

Entrees: grilled pork loin with spaetzle, sauerkraut, bacon, and onions(?) for me; grilled Hawaiian swordfish with some kind of ginger foam/sauce and couscous for my friend. The pork was slightly dry (unfortunately, most pork loin is) but immensely improved by the bacon/spaetzle/sauerkraut mixture -- smoky, sour, delicious. I only got a bite of the swordfish, but it was good as well. I was surprised by the relative lack of fish choices, though, since I had been expecting at least two or three seafood dishes and probably only one or two meat entrees. The other entrees available last night were a steak (strip, I believe, with a red wine sauce, mushrooms, mashed potatoes), duck confit with French lentils (I should have gotten this!), roasted chicken breast, and a vegetarian (possibly even vegan) choice. Prices for entrees: I think the vegan was $15; the steak was $26. Everything else was somewhere inbetween. Quite reasonable.

Shared a spice cake with poached PEAR and vanilla creme fraiche for dessert. This is probably something I could make at home (easily) but still quite good. I love spice cake. I liked the olive oil (with cloves of roasted garlic), too, though the baguette could have been better. Will go back to try a whole fish whenever they have one next.

Drank a Chilean sauvignon blanc (Reserve Morande Terrarum, 2003) and a Yellowtail Shiraz (2004...hey, we ARE college students).

In short, if you haven't been here yet, go! Check it out.

Edited...because I can't believe I spelled "pear" incorrectly!!

Edited by Diann (log)

This is next on my "wish" list. Marigold to go into the books tonight and we are going to book Pumpkin next. Thanks for the post!

Evan

Had dinner here last night. Wow -- probably the smallest restaurant I've ever been in, even compared to Caffe Casta Diva and Melograno. But it's cute. I wish I had come with a larger party so I could have sat at the table with the pumpkin-colored couch in the alcove. Small menu, too, which unfortunately means I can't bring some of my pickier friends here (I think there were five apps and five or six entrees). I didn't have a reservation, but I went early (6:30) and was promptly seated.

Started with the endive and gruyere gratin and the grilled romaine salad. The endives had been braised until golden and had a nice thick layer of gruyere melted on top. Tender, slightly sweet, slightly bitter, warm, melty goodness. The grilled romaine I want to try making at home when I finally buy a grill pan and/or an outdoor grill -- a whole heart of romaine, lightly touched by the grill, drizzled with a "parmigiano vinagrette" (Caesar dressing, essentially). The other apps I can remember were mussels, scallops, and grilled quail. Prices for apps: $7-$10.

Entrees: grilled pork loin with spaetzle, sauerkraut, bacon, and onions(?) for me; grilled Hawaiian swordfish with some kind of ginger foam/sauce and couscous for my friend. The pork was slightly dry (unfortunately, most pork loin is) but immensely improved by the bacon/spaetzle/sauerkraut mixture -- smoky, sour, delicious. I only got a bite of the swordfish, but it was good as well. I was surprised by the relative lack of fish choices, though, since I had been expecting at least two or three seafood dishes and probably only one or two meat entrees. The other entrees available last night were a steak (strip, I believe, with a red wine sauce, mushrooms, mashed potatoes), duck confit with French lentils (I should have gotten this!), roasted chicken breast, and a vegetarian (possibly even vegan) choice. Prices for entrees: I think the vegan was $15; the steak was $26. Everything else was somewhere inbetween. Quite reasonable.

Shared a spice cake with poached pair and vanilla creme fraiche for dessert. This is probably something I could make at home (easily) but still quite good. I love spice cake. I liked the olive oil (with cloves of roasted garlic), too, though the baguette could have been better. Will go back to try a whole fish whenever they have one next.

Drank a Chilean sauvignon blanc (Reserve Morande Terrarum, 2003) and a Yellowtail Shiraz (2004...hey, we ARE college students).

In short, if you haven't been here yet, go! Check it out.

Dough can sense fear.

How was the sauvignon blanc?

I should make an effort to get to Pumpkin sometime soon. It's right around the corner, and I used to go all the time back when I didn't really need a reservation...

How was the sauvignon blanc?

I should make an effort to get to Pumpkin sometime soon. It's right around the corner, and I used to go all the time back when I didn't really need a reservation...

Yeah, I think Pumpkin would be a great restaurant to have in the neighborhood, since you would probably never eat the same thing twice.

I really enjoyed the SB, but I like most of them anyways. It had that "cat's pee on a gooseberry bush" smell to it...can't remember any of its other characteristics. :rolleyes: I think it was either on sale last month or a Chairman's Selection.

• 1 month later...

FYI - I posted on the ISO thread for anyone who wants to go to Pumpkin 5/13 preceded by the Dali for which I now have extra free tickets. Don't post replies to this here - PM me so I don't get grounded!

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_27885_1177_74593.jpg

Well I finally made it to Pumpkin with some good company! Even though the menu changes daily, I posted to show pricing and the style of the restaurant.

I started out with the grilled Quail. It was simply and artfully prepared with the tartness of the balsamic and fruit mixing nicely with the sweet fig and grilled kissed quail.

The wife had the mussels which were quite good - an excellent vehicle for bread soaking.

I thought the winner appetizer was the grilled salad, interesting warm lettuce with grill marks topped with a very creamy blue dressing vinagrette. Figures, that was chosen by Katie. She must've known.

The crabcake was well received but I didnt try it.

For entree, I had the lamb with what was israeli couscous darkened by sautee. Interesting flavor. The lamb was not the winner as it was not as tender as I would have hoped. Nonetheless it all worked well together. I should have ordered the chicken (I have learned that chicken in a fine restaurant is nothing like at home but I resisted since I was FINALLY at Pumpkin and wanted something else. It looked excellent and if you see it - get it and think of me.)

I did taste the veal chop which was simply prepared and very tasty. It showed up with artichoke and mashed papas.

My personal fave lay across from me - the waluu with fennel scented saffron broth. Not much of a fennel fan when overdone - I thought this was very nice and I had more than a gentleman's bite of it. I praise the smaller appetite of some who dine with me :biggrin:

For dessert - I was voted down on ordering all of them. Reason prevailed (well maybe). We tried everything but the napoleon and it turns out everything was a great ending to the meal. My wife's absolute favorite dessert is when a restaurant has a cookie selection and some java. She was elated.

The service was impeccable to say the least. The initial server who left early was a friend of one of the group but doesn't matter. You should expect the same royal treatment. The place is tiny and there is a great deal of attention paid to each table.

I would sum up Pumpkin as a restaurant that features fresh ingredients - prepared simply but artisanally. Low on flair and on unusual ingredients, it was worth the wait. Good company makes any meal better and the wine bottles were empty by the end as well.

Total bill with 25% tip was $200 even. I would go back anytime.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

We were there Sat. night and I ordered the Wallu. Loved it. BTW, the napoleons are delicious. So glad they got a pastry chef. Last time I was there (quite awhile back) they hadn't found one yet.