• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife Sharpening in Vancouver

Daddy-A

I'm interested in buying the Chef's Choice sharpener. Does anyone know where in Vancouver we can get it or should I order it online? Thanks in advance.

I was looking at them in Cook Shop yesterday. I think one of them was $110.

But, do you really think you should play with really really sharp knives? :raz::hmmm:

The Cookworks web site lists Chef's Choice sharpeners. Here is a link.

I am going to the broadway store this weekend to check them out. The web site lists $199 as the price...ouch, some of the US on-line sites list them for US$120. That is CAN$140, add tax and shipping, probably around $180.

Edited by Chocoholic (log)

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

Cook Shop in City Square was a helluva a lot cheaper than Cookworks. They had the 2 styles, the 2 sharpener (which I have) and that was $110 and the 3 sharpener was $129. I think they are on sale, but I've never ever seen them for more than that. If you can go to Bellingham, you could probably get one there for about $60 US.

But, do you really think you should play with really really sharp knives? :raz:  :hmmm:

That was a good one! :laugh::angry::wink: Where in Bellingham? What about duty tax? Edited to say, I'm going to jump over to the Seattle thread and see if anyone can help me.

Edited by butter (log)

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

If the Bon/Macy's has a sale on, you could get a really good deal. Some of their sale prices in their Home Store blow me away. They had a full set of All Clad about $200 or $300 less than what it is here at Christmas time.

This is the one I have except it only came in white. If you spend a day down there you can easily bring back $50 without having to pay duty. Just smile sweetly and bat your eyelashes. It's been working for me for years :raz::laugh:

Edited by peppyre (log)

• 1 year later...

Add another less than stellar sharpening job to the list.

I noticed the other day that Ming Wo had one of their Henckell sponsored sharpening events. They go from store to store about twice a year (Easter and Thanksgiving usually). The Granville store was yesterday.

The sharpening is free with a suggested donation to a local charity and the knives don't have to be Henckells. I took in three of my most used knives not wanting to be greedy (despite a couple of small nicks they were still relatively sharp). It was funny watching people walk in with their full knife blocks - I guess that's as good a way as any to transport them if you don't have a knife case.

The sharpening machine is about the size of a very large shoe box and I guess I should have known better but the quality of the sharpening left my knives less sharp than when I started. (The nicks were more or less removed though.) The weird thing about this Henckell machine was that it created the tiniest edge I have ever seen on a knife. Instead of following the contour of the blade it was like it's own mini angle on the edge. What the "point" of this version of knife sharpening technology is escapes me. You would think that if anyone would get it right Henckell would.

Time to call KnifeEx to fix this and then buy a stone.

Eatrustic, you have inspired me to call KnifeEx too - I was sadly unable to hit the Granville store for sharpening, well sad before I read your post!

Does anyone know if the person who travels to the farmers markets (last year) knows how to sharpen?