• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arthur Schwartz resigns from WOR

Rosie

So Arthur's been asked to compromise his ``integrity as a journalist?" He is immensely knowledgeable, but frankly it was often hard to distinguish where the commercials left off and his own personal remarks began. That was the program's biggest-- maybe only -- flaw.

So Arthur's been asked to compromise his ``integrity as a journalist?" He is immensely knowledgeable, but frankly it was often hard to distinguish where the commercials left off and his own personal remarks began. That was the program's biggest-- maybe only -- flaw.

Yeah but to some extent he hand picked those advertisers. I thought it was pretty clear what was advertising and what was program content, though.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The article says he will be running his cooking school in Italy. I know in the past he has done it at Agriturismo Seliano in Paestum, but I don't know if he does it there exclusively.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Wow. I am totally gobsmacked by this. What many of you may not realize is that "Food Talk with Arthur Schwartz" was the primordial soup from which eGullet evolved!

Let me explain...

• I was an occasional listener to Arthur Schwartz, I especially liked listening in the car. Well one day, sometime towards the end of the Twentieth Century, he had on a guest named Jim Leff from a website called chowhound.com. This was interesting to me and I followed up when I got home, telling Jason all about this food website I had discovered. Well, if I enjoyed perusing chowhound, Jason become completely enamored, as many of you well know. Anyway, eventually he met Steven Shaw and together they formed eGullet. The rest, as they say, is history.

I really am sad that he won't be on the radio anymore. It would be great if he could continue his show on another station, but there are very few talk radio stations like WOR. Thankfully, we still have his website The Food Maven to keep up with his activities. Best of luck to you, Arturo!

There are a lot of little old ladies who are upset. I had an opportunity to meet him last week, he's very knowledgeable, and incredibly patient with his fans.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

There are a lot of little old ladies who are upset. I had an opportunity to meet him last week, he's very knowledgeable, and incredibly patient with his fans.

" OLD Ladies" Were you talking about me??? :wink:

His events, cooking classes or appearances draw a very mixed crowd of men and women.

I would say there are a lot of young, old, and middle aged people who are very upset.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I feel like I have lost an old friend. :sad: I loved listening to him at lunchtime. I couldn't get used to his new time slot. I have a feeling he couldn't either and I think that started a "down hill" trend. I sensed he was getting a bit testy with the management over this and perhaps other issues. I don't know what the last straw was...but he must have been pretty ticked off about it.

I called him several times on the show and saw him at a few book signings for "Naples at table". He's a great guy and I'm really hoping he finds another venu for his radio show, but I know it' s a long shot. I look forward to seeing him when he is promoting his new book in the fall.

Good Luck Arturo, Ciao!

Seliano is a wonderful place if anyone should be interested in his cooking classes or even if not.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I liked Arthur when I had a chance to listen to him-- he was a little full of himself, but he is knowledgeable. I also listened a lot on Saturdays when he was paired with Joan Hamburg-- now there's a shill for her sponsors if ever there was. She is always so neutral, every business to her is a potential sponsor. But he can be opinionated, so that was refreshing. Hope Arthur gets another job soon-- it seems that WOR is in the toilet these days, nothing left but drivel...

docsconz--Were you at Arthur's cooking school there?

No, I was there independently last November. I only learned of his cooking school while there. The owner of Seliano, Contessa Cecilia Baratta, is a real gem of a person. her family and staff are gems as well. It is a lovely place with an exceptional warmth to it. I'm sure his being associated with it is no accident.

Twitter - @docsconz

What a loss to the radio industry. I enjoyed listening to him for years. As far as him being "full of himself" I do not think that is the case. He just got impatient with people who did not listen well or who did foolish things in restaurants and expected the restaurant to bend over backwards to bail them out. He taught me a great deal about food, cooking, baking and the history behind all of these subjects and more. :sad:

GoodEater

Vivo per mangiare!

I listened to all of Madher Jaffrey's show, yesterday. She and a co-star of her Broadway show talked about vegetables. "What to do with all of summer's bounty" or something like that. One interesting suggestion was what to do with cucumbers that went to seed. She said to juice them (puree & strain) and use to make lemonade. She discussed some Indian uses and the co-host talked about Trinidadian uses. They talked about goat curry, er curry goat, as it made in the two different cultures. It was a good show, but I can't imagine her as a permanent replacement.

Aparently they have David Rosengarten and Bobby Flay scheduled as subs, but I didn't listen today. I could see DR being a replacement or maybe Alan Richman. Anyone know if there's a short list yet?

BTW - No mention of Arthur in any way, even the opening announcement must have been changed to remove his name.

I just hope that another radio station picks up his show. He does such a fantastic job I can't imagine not having my daily Arthur fix. Meanwhile the first NJ appearance that I know about is the following:

10/20: A benefit to raise money for Chef Jeff Schneekloth’s recovery will be held at The Bernards Inn, 27 Mine Brook Rd, Bernardsville with special guest Arthur Schwartz. 6:30 to 9:30 PM; $100. Call Kings Cooking Studiio at 973-463-6500 for tickets.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Thanks, Rachel, for those two links. I'm with Rosie - i hope Arthur reappears on radio soon. There is nothing like his show anywhere else, and it will be missed. He's an incredible source of culinary knowledge. Sure, he was opinionated and cranky sometimes - but it made for good radio!

His replacements so far have been lackluster at best :blink: . It's not their fault...they have all been perfectly knowledgeable....but it's just not as enjoyable. I loved hearing his persoal stories about what he did last weekend, his trips to Italy or whatever. He is opinionated and that's what I like about him. I loved it when he would get cranky with the callers and tell them the truth! He never sugar coated anything... Not many people tell the truth these days. He's a rare bird!

I hope David Rosengarten does well. He would be my first choice for a replacement.