• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oyamel Cocina Mexicana in Penn Quarter

SanFran88

I see Oyamel is set to open in October in Crystal City along with Jaleo. Does anyone know anything about the menu (other than small plate Mexican)? Is Steve Klc developing the desserts, and if so, can he tell us what we can look forward to?

Tony

It's interesting that they choose to locate it in the (culinary) wasteland that is Crystal City. Anyone have any insight as to their thinking on that? Steve?

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

It's interesting that they choose to locate it in the (culinary) wasteland that is Crystal City. Anyone have any insight as to their thinking on that? Steve?

Lack of serious competition? :biggrin:

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

I think there are plans underway to make Crystal City more of an attractive destination in the DC area. I seem to recall reading about it in the Post a while back.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Crystal City is going to blow up. Its SO close to DC with so many apartment buildings. It makes sense.

Actually that makes sense -- witness the development of eating/food shopping opportunities in Clarendon of late. S. Arlington deserves/merits similar development.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

That's going to be a really nice strip, where Jaleo and Oyamel will be. With any luck it'll give the 23rd street strip around the corner a little kick, too. That area has potential, but it's not really being realized, I don't think. I haven't been to all of the places there, but with the exception of Sinplicity Cafe, it's been somewhat dissapointing.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

I'm not sure you could say that about Crystal City, unless the pocket protectors and plastic badges of government workers make one tingle. Always struck me as more of a TGIFridays neighborhood.

Hey, that's a Chili's over there by the Hilton, bub, and don't you forget it! :raz:

I know what you mean, though. I've only lived there since the beginning of the summer, but it's struck me that way, too. We've got the Jaleo, Oyamel, et al, going in, which will be nice. Then there's the 23rd street strip, which....tries hard, but largely fails. There's good variety...Lebanese, two Thai, Vietnamese, kebabs, diner, sports pub, but none of the places I've been have done much. Lebanese was average, and the service was terrible. Diner is alright, service not great, and it's missing some serious diner staples. I was in the area the other night, and something smelled awsome...think it was the sketchy (Think 'mob front') Italian place.

So, I think Crystal City is trying, but it's not quite hitting the mark just yet. Hopefully this will raise the bar a little.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

This gives more of a clue what's going on in CC. Two way streets and everything!

Dining

Wow.

First it was Bethesda Row, then Silver Spring, then Crystal City then Leesburg, then...

It all amazes me; I talk like a grandma and I'm 25. I remember when the Bethesda Food Co-op was on Bethesda Avenue, and that's about all that was there...

Edited by morela (log)

It's cool to see people already talking about it!!! This has been hard work...eating all kinds of amazing food....trying 20 different anejo tequilas in a sitting. The restaurant business is SO hard :rolleyes:

user posted imageI know nothing" -Sgt. Hans Schultz

It's cool to see people already talking about it!!! This has been hard work...eating all kinds of amazing food....trying 20 different anejo tequilas in a sitting. The restaurant business is SO hard :rolleyes:

Hey, ScooterPie:

Welcome! Can you tell me more about some of the goodies you've tried? What is your roll in this business venture? Remind me what Oyamel means too.

Ciao.

If you check out the signature that comes with my posting...that will tell you what I can say about Oyamel and what my role is.

All I can say is that it's going to be like NOTHING you've ever seen before.

As we get closer to open...I'll keep you updated as to what is going on.

Welcome to the forum, ScooterPie, and I think people here appreciate you disclosing that you're associated with Oyamel in some way, even though you choose to retain your anonymity at this time.

When I saw the tentative list of wines for Oyamel a few months ago, I was quite impressed (not that I know very much about Mexican wines) - didn't they have something like thirty red wines alone from that country?

Is Manuel Iguina still slated to be GM there?

Cheers,

Rocks.

To answer the other questions about what I've tried and what Oyamel means...

Oyamel is both a place and a kind of tree. It's a forest in central mexico where all Monarch Butterflies go for the winter.

As to what I've tried....like I said, 20 tequilas in one sitting. That wasn't a joke. It really was hard work. Food-wise...a lot of stuff that I've never heard of, but am quickly falling in love with.

Thanks for the welcome.

Edited by ScooterPie (log)

Well, I think that I can safely say that... yes, Manuel is the GM.

As far as Mexican wines....colour me surprised...I had no idea that they existed....before this project I mean. Last week I tried two AMAZING Chenin Blancs from Baja. As far as the size of the list I can honestly say that I have no idea. From what I've seen, the beverage program as a whole will be amazing.

My anonymity is necessary...but as soon as we open...I think anyone that comes by will be able to figure it out pretty quickly. I just wanted to say 'thanks for the interest' to everyone that posted. We're still more than an month out from opening...and people are talking about us. It's exciting.

My anonymity is necessary...but as soon as we open...I think anyone that comes by will be able to figure it out pretty quickly. I just wanted to say 'thanks for the interest' to everyone that posted. We're still more than an month out from opening...and people are talking about us. It's exciting.

You have good reason to be excited - I'm certain the residents of Crystal City are too. Please let us know when you have any new, substantive information to share with us about Oyamel - we'll all enjoy hearing it!

And congratulations in advance on your new restaurant.

Until then,

Rocks.

I don't know exactly what can be classified as "substantive information".

What do you want to know.

I came up with my analogy for Oyamel's food the other day. Other "Mexican Restaurants" are like Chinese food in North America. Oyamel's food will be like Chinese food in China. There are ingredients that are very common in Mexico and yet not very common north of the border. To the average American, mexican food consists of tacos and burritos with ground beef, sour cream, cheddar-jack cheese, etc.

Ingredients like Nopales, Pithaya, Mole Poblano, Mole Almendra, Tuna ( the fruit...not the fish), fish that even our fish mongers are scratching their collective heads at trying to find out what it is and where they can find it for us, Sal de Gusano, Miel de Agave, Edible flowers (other than the pansies that you see on menus in the US), Tongue, Oxtail. These sort of things. Things that even as an open minded cook I thought twice about trying. But if you open your mind...you realize that there are reasons why some of these things are delicacies in their home countries. They really are good. The first time that I ever tried Huitlacoche I was a kid working at Red Sage...I thought it was disgusting. (Maybe because they made ice cream out of it)...but now, a little older and wiser...it's amazing. Oyamel like I've said in the past is like nothing I've ever seen before.

To clear up a couple of things...

1. I originally posted on here because I was excited that people were talking about a restaurant where I was going to be working....I've been around celebrity chefs a lot in my career...with TV crews hanging around and stuff....but it still tickles me to see restaurants where I work talked about in a public forum. I had no intention to "start buzz" or shamelessly promote anything. It started as an honest "Thank you" and nothing more. Then came the questions...being the polite person that I am...I answered as best I could. But at the same time, I had no intention of trying to get myself in trouble with my higher ups by giving away too much information without the "ok"

2. To those of you that have emailed me asking if I can get you reservations...It's looking like we're going to adopt the same policy as Zaytinya and Jaleo...although I'm not positive....reservations before 6:30, but then on a walk in basis. So, as much as I'd love to write you all down in the book...there really isn't a book. I'm sure that we'll take good care of you regardless. Manuel is one of, if not THE, coolest GM's I've ever worked with. I know that everyone that walks in the door will feel like a VIP and be well taken care of.

Thank you again for your emails and comments. I hope to see you all soon. I'm sure if you walk in the door and ask who ScooterPie is...they'll let you know.

Right now I'll just remain A. Nonymous...which is better than Abby Normal. Name THAT movie reference

Edited by ScooterPie (log)

Thank you again for your emails and comments.  I hope to see you all soon.  I'm sure if you walk in the door and ask who ScooterPie is...they'll let you know.

Right now I'll just remain A. Nonymous...which is better than Abby Normal.  Name THAT movie reference

Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein. Marty Feldman (Eyegore) tells Young Dr. Frankenstein that the brain he put into the monster's head (Peter Boyle) came from someone named "Abby Normal."