• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lyle's Golden Syrup

dahlsk

Use only a sprinkling of dried breadcrumbs, if you must use dried. Maybe a tablespoon full.

I prefer the version without breadcrumbs, but with lemon, and an egg

7 Tbsp golden syrup

Grated rind and juice of ½ lemon

½ oz butter, melted

2 Tbsp single cream

2 medium eggs, beaten

MIx together, put into 8 inch tart shell, bake 30 mins in a medium oven or until set.

Eat warm

Edited by jackal10 (log)

I tried the one in Nose to Tail a couple of days ago. It was delicious and came out perfect. I really loved the tart shell, it needs no rolling and bakes blind perfectly without any beans or weights. So consider this another recommendation to use the syrup in a Treacle Tart.

Elie

Oh, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO relieved. :laugh: I was just worried about the proportions. Did you satisfy its desire to be eaten with thick cream? :raz:

BTW: there is also a recipe for Baked Treacle Pudding that is also quite enticing. Fergus is his usual self with the comment in the ingredient list:

6 tablespoons Lyle's Golden Syrup (I was advised 4 tablespoons by those in the know, but that is simply not enough)

:wub:

this month's Sainsbury's mag has a whole page devoted to ideas for golden syrup (inc warmed with finely chopped crystallized ginger + spooned over icecream, schlerp) - can PM should anyone wish.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Oh, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO relieved.  :laugh:  I was just worried about the proportions.  Did you satisfy its desire to be eaten with thick cream?  :raz:

BTW: there is also a recipe for Baked Treacle Pudding that is also quite enticing. Fergus is his usual self with the comment in the ingredient list:

6 tablespoons Lyle's Golden Syrup (I was advised 4 tablespoons by those in the know, but that is simply not enough)

:wub:

You betcha I served it with thick cream...that pudding is on the to-do list as well.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I think it is best right out of the jar, but just last night I added it to a tarte tatin (Birenbaums recipe from Pie and Pastry Bible) I substitute 4 tbs of it for 4 tbs of the sugar and it was divine! Also add 1tbs of vanilla.

I echo the suggestions for subsituting it for corn syrup in pecan pie, but also in any caramel recipe where corn syrup is called for. I used it in classic creme caramels. butter crunch toffee and popcorn balls. It really takes them to another level. It costs more, sure, but since you already have it...

I also tried it instead of simple syrup in a mint julep. Yummmmm!

challah-baker