• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Source for Curry Patta, Tulsi

We moved into a new house and have a ton of space in out backyard. my mom wants to start a herb garden. We got mint from a farmer's market, and now its flourishing. She planted some dhaniya too, but it bolted. so now we have another round in there. I also planted basil from seeds that seems to be coming up now. But I really wanted to have Tulsi and Curry Patta. Does anyone know of a good source in Southern California. I woud much appreciate it.

We have a curry plant thriving in SF Bay Area weather. I am sure you will not have any problems growing it in Southern California. Ours was a gift from a friend -- I think she bought it mail order.

Dear Coolest,

A big welcome to the forum; wonderful to have yet one more plant lover here!

As regards bolting of the cilantro, seed from indian groceries have different daylength requirements than what obtains here. For the cool season California crop, say October-May, you will do well with a cultivar called Santo. For the warm weather crop, a variety called Sunmaster will resist bolting longer. Both are available from Stokes Seeds. my suggestion would be to purchase the pound pack, ~$12, each, and share with friends; most economical this way, if you happen to love bunches of cilantro.

As an aside to Monicaji, the reason why your family gardener used to crush the cilantro seed under foot, is that the coriander seed is a fruit containing 2 hemispherical seeds; i.e. each round creature sown potentially will sprout 2 seedlings. Anyway, this separation is not necessary, although separated seeds are sold in the US as a specialty item by seed companies. For your Washington herb garden, please note the cilantro information above.

Btw, have some great heirloom tomato, pepper seeds that will do well in CA; you, bong, and others are most welcome to contact me for some. Also, the Garden Web forums, esp. Toamtoes, Peppers and Asian Vegetables are great places to meet plant lovers and exchange stuff.

Edited by v. gautam (log)

Ah, my favorite topics: food & horticulture.

I, too, have a curry tree here in the North Bay Area, and it does okay with some winter protection.

If you're trying to find one for your mom, be sure you give the Latin name for the plant (Murraya koenigii, it's a member of the Rutaceae (citrus) family I believe) and/or put your eye on it before you purchase one from a nursery. There is another plant in the trade (a type of Helichrysum) which is sold as a "curry plant" due to the fact that it smells like cheap Madras curry powder (which, of course, the curry tree smells nothing like). This Helichrysum is inedible and not at all what you want, but I've seen uninformed individuals at nurseries try to foist the plant off on unsuspecting folks who've never seen a real curry tree.

With regard to tulsi, you can now get the "real deal" from a few nurseries nowadays. For years when you bought holy basil you'd get a basil which although used for Thai cooking and looking a lot like tulsi, was not the true plant. I've even seen the red-leafed variety available of late. Again, you just have to be careful as people assume that all Oncinum sanctum is "tulsi" and it often isn't. Your best method is to get some seeds from a friend's plant as it's quite easy to do from seed.

Noel in Napa

• 4 weeks later...

Finally found a curry leaf pant without dealing with shipping charges and also the worry of damage. In fact found two places within a 30 mile radius of me that sell the stuff.

1. Patel Store

(714) 826-3960

2771 W Lincoln Ave

Anaheim, CA 92801

2. San Gabriel Nursery & Florist

632 S. San Gabriel Boulevard, San Gabriel, CA 91776

STORE HOURS: Now open daily 7 days a week 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

PHONE: (626) 286-3782 and (626) 286-0787 -- FAX: (626) 286-0047

I bought it from the 2nd source simply because I went there first. Infact they have great varieties and are a huge nuirsery with knowledgeable staff.

For the tulsi, I have decided to just get seeds from a website know as Seeds of India They seem to have every seed that my mom would like including hot Indian chillies, lauki, tauri and tinda. And they only charge a flat fee of $3 for shipping.

A question for V.Gautam and lapageria: what would be the best time to plant the gourd seeds. I live in S.Cali and we dont really have severe winters, but do you think its still better to plant say in march? I am planning on planting gourd, eggplant, okra, peppers, and tulsi for now. All help is much appreciated.

or maybe you can ask the Indians around...

It's pretty cool- when I was visiting my grandmother in the Philippines I took a walk around her village and was surprised to see all the currypata trees and tulsi plants growing so wildly and beautifully in abundance right on the sidewalks.